1973 Celica ST (considering subframe connectors)

On March 28, 2016 at 8:33 AM, TRDTurko said:

I have never heard of a profesional race team that did not seam weld their production based unibody race cars. So yes it makes a difference. If you were planning on autocrossing the car though you may want to look up the rules before doing that because could put it in a very high class.

ps. just a side note I do not know what melody your car is singing just yet so I'm guesing autocorrect was messing with you when trying to spell "area".

My spelling was never a strong point in school :) I will give it a correct. Thanks for the tip on seam welding. I may just save The seam welding for my race car I plan to build out of the other car. 

I had a chance to pick up some epoxy primer today after work. So I am ready for sand blasting and then welding! Next week hopefully!

• Like 1

On March 30, 2016 at 7:13 PM, krank said:

I think you should just stamp out a completely new body the way you are making those patch panels. Hail the tinsmith!

Love it, thanks for the complement! In the back of my mind I have had thoughts of making an aluminum body (never serious ones) and how light the car would be in that configuration! And no rust issues!

On April 2, 2016 at 0:32 PM, bluesi92 said:

I'm SO impressed with the effort you're putting in to bringing this car back to life!  You're obviously enjoying the process.

Thank you for your complements. It sure is a fun hobby! lots of learning too but the challenges of learning this stuff is a fun process

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to modify my bead roller. It had a lot of flex to it, which made rolling the beads a challenge. So I welded some 2 inch square tubing to it. I also built a guide fence to aid in rolling arrow straight beads. I am also building a base for the bead roller and replacing the crank handle with a steering wheel from a Ken Worth semi truck which was sitting in the scrap yard.

Here is the bead roller with the guide fence and square tubing welded on it:

IMG_5943.jpg

also here is the semi brake drum for building a base for the bead roller stand and the steering wheel which will replace the crank handle:
IMG_5939.jpg

• Like 2

A bunch of little things happening in my garage. I took some time to do a brake job on my Mustang and take it to the first auto cross of the year. I also decided to Give my Wife's FJ a vintage FJ 40 grille treatment and paint it white. Originally it was silver:

IMG_5908.jpg
IMG_5909.jpg

I made a make shift sand blasting booth in the garage and blasted the arias where the patches would be welded in place clean:
IMG_5919.jpgIMG_5924.jpg

I also sprayed a combination of weld through primer and epoxy primer over the blasted arias:IMG_5927.jpgIMG_5928.jpg

I also have been contemplating putting in a seat from one of these cars: s2000, honda civic, RSX type S. I like the look of the seats. The seats will probably be recovered to match the original Toyota Celica pattern. I picked up this well used seat from a guy I work with to test fit in my car. It came out of his Honda Civic:
IMG_5950.jpgIMG_5954.jpgIMG_5957.jpgIMG_5962.jpg

Why not use last gen Celica seats? There narrower and should fit the body but still well bolstered. 

Also should sell for a lot less then the other ones you listed as there more abundant in wreckers. 

8 hours ago, MRS Joe said:

Why not use last gen Celica seats? There narrower and should fit the body but still well bolstered. 

Also should sell for a lot less then the other ones you listed as there more abundant in wreckers. 

I am not as big of a fan of shape of the last gen celica seats. This one only cost me $50 so it makes a good test fit seat.

6 hours ago, krank said:

Where's the brrrrm, brrrrm sounds?

Nice. I did sit in the car for like 10 min after the seat was in :)

Only reason I mentioned it was that it's a slimmer seat not using as much room. S2000 seats are the same. 

For $50 bucks you can make money on that seat should you choose so good score. It's out of a ep3 civic sir.

41 minutes ago, MRS Joe said:

Only reason I mentioned it was that it's a slimmer seat not using as much room. S2000 seats are the same. 

For $50 bucks you can make money on that seat should you choose so good score. It's out of a ep3 civic sir.

You are saying the s2000 seats are slimmer than My EP3 seat? I had no idea the seat is worth more than $50 so sweet if is decide to sell it! This EP3 Seat is really comfy. The guy has a really cool EP3 it is in the Corona Gold color too! He says that color of Civic is pretty rare. 

On May 6, 2016 at 4:39 AM, Corey said:

S2000 seats are very expensive. A thief cutting the top and stealing both seats can be enough to write off the car. 

Oh wow! pretty intense.

I just finished the bead roller today. I am very happy with the end result:
IMG_5967.jpg

And the bead roller fence:
IMG_5966.jpg

Time to try it out!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krank said:

I'm taking it the stand I beam was a gift or was it made that way so the wife doesn't re-arrange your work space? ;)

It was free :) I had a different design for the stand originally. Then my father in law saw my design for the stand I had drawn on paper and hooked me up with this I beam. So I went with it. I actually did not like the idea of an I beam for a stand. But It worked out really nice for hanging the roller dies! So the unit is probably over 200lb now. so not much movement/wobbling.

• 2 months later...

It looks like this week Wednesday I will be welding in the patches I made on the car. My dad has time to help me bring the car down to his place to do some welding. On a side not I just watched some cool vintage toyota racing footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpns7Mdj31U

Looks like the celicas had a pretty good lead on the other cars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xp5ydfR9OY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLk0KcwLgYs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZe0BcsUyuk

5 hours ago, krank said:

Remember you don't have to be a good welder .... just a good grinder.     j/k  looks excellent.

Thats me for sure! I have not welded since high school (like 15 years ago) and this is my first time ever welding on a car. I just went for it and hoped for the best :)

• 3 weeks later...

So time for a big update. The car now runs. I did this list of stuff to the 18RC: 
-Spark plugs 
-plug wires
-new coil
- new vacuum lines
-cleaned the distributor points and gapped them
-fixed a bad ground in the distributor
-bought a new carb rebuild kit
-combined the best carb parts between my 1973 and 1972 celia
-new fuel pump
-flushed the radiator and engine cooling system with a garden hose till no rust came out. 

The car would run and stall right away and never rev up at all. So I got tired of trying to get it running and started rust repair. I had suspected there might be some acorn nuts in the exhaust system. So yesterday I cut the exhaust right off at the trans mount/cross brace. A bunch of rust flakes and acorn shells dropped out of the tail pipe! I sprayed some brake cleaner in the carb and turned the key it fired right up and revved. So I got my Jerry can of gas and stuck the rubber fuel hose attached to the fuel pump and it started right up with the key and idled beautifully. I revved the motor and it revved strong. This motor seems pretty healthy and does not seem to smoke! I have a video but cant seem to get it to upload to youtube right now.
I poured coolant in the rad and it started leaking on the bottom hose fitting. So I grabbed the other radiator from my "parts ware house" (my garden shed). It was full of acorn nuts so I shook them out and flushed it out installed it and filled it with coolant and it is leak free. 
I could not press the clutch pedal down so I hammered on the slave cylinder a couple times and the pedal pushed right down. The slave cylinder is working perfect now and the clutch fork is moving nicely. The thing hindering me now from driving is what I believe to be a clutch frozen onto the fly wheel. With the engine off I can select all the gears. With the engine on I can not shift into any gears when the clutch is pressed down. If I start it in gear the car will roll forward. If I start it in gear with the clutch engaged it will roll forward. I will work with that to see if I can fee it up and then drive it. The other thing that surprised me was the brakes were not frozen and worked!

TIme to do something about the passenger side. It goes so much smoother once you have done it once. Here is what I get to start with:

IMG_6253_zpsd57zwtbc.jpg

IMG_6252_zps34qvjhru.jpg

IMG_6261_zpskicz9vzt.jpg 

IMG_6257_zpsrbckhoxe.jpg

IMG_6342_zpsmfokleze.jpg

IMG_6254_zpsmxqfwmcy.jpg

The front fire wall corner:

IMG_6284_zpsqpushrqd.jpg 

IMG_6283_zpsxc6d4na4.jpg

The lower dog leg to fire wall cut out and new piece fabricated:

IMG_6322_zpscpwck65q.jpg

IMG_6281_zpscsw5hnd4.jpg

Old floor pan cut out and new one test fitted:

IMG_6280_zpszbog97lz.jpg

IMG_6279_zps5z0dqthd.jpg 

IMG_6330_zpsukq0t4gh.jpg

new inner dog leg:

IMG_6323_zpszhblm7ul.jpg

IMG_6327_zpsgvcm4o90.jpg 

IMG_6329_zpspxtem36z.jpg 

outer dog leg:

IMG_6338_zps0uufvpuu.jpg 

IMG_6339_zpsxcalikao.jpg 

The passenger side rear floor pan foot section of floor was completely crumpled from either jumping the car in its past or falling off the jack stands. I hammered an dollied it back to shape:

before:

IMG_6344_zpsrkngrkjt.jpg 

After:

IMG_6349_zpsjvzdgf11.jpg 

And the final piece of this puzzle the 90 degree edge of the floor pan that goes under the floor pan and the rear seat brace:

IMG_6389_zpsewvrkllm.jpg 

IMG_6388_zpsmdkjwe3u.jpg

IMG_6395_zps0iebepqi.jpg 

IMG_6394_zpsketbldrw.jpg 

IMG_6396_zpsm8qrfnik.jpg

Clutch is free! The car drives! I drove it 1 foot   :cheers: I so wanted to drive it around the block but the car is quite loud and I don't want to bug the neighbors. So no trip around the block. I did reuse the old resignator (not sure on spelling) It quieted it down some what. But the beauty of the car running and driving I can drive the 4 blocks to my parents to use the welder instead of towing the car. 
So to get the clutch free I went about it this way: My wife sat in the car and put it in 4th gear and applied the clutch and brake and I grabbed my breaker bar and used it on the crank shaft pulley. I wiggled it back and forth and then there was a clunk noise and it was free! 

45 minutes ago, krank said:

LOL. Don't count on that clutch making too far after being "welded" to the flywheel and pressure plate like that. Figure you've got a couple of good Saturday afternoon burnouts and that will be it. ;)

It's a Toyota.  I give it ten burn outs. :)

• Like 2