V8 AE101 Corolla - "The Cookie Monster"

So.... i've talked about this idea for years. This will be the official intro.

This will be picture heavy, I intend to update as I go, every so often.

My passion, addiction, obsession, whatever you wish to call it, with the 7th generation Corolla chassis goes back to when I first started driving. "The Green Bastard" for those of you who remember it, was the first car I drove. I literally drove the crap out of that car, to the point of putting it through jumps worthy of the dukes, and nothing would break. Ive owned many other cars (the list is long) but I always kept coming back to that chassis. It feels light when you drive it. Its predictable and is capable of things other manufacturers at the time dreamed of achieving. As its been put by many articles regarding the 7th generation corolla, "it is built to lexus standards in terms of fit, finish, and materials, at a compact car price". I agree. There has been many expensive cars that I have been fortunate enough to had the chance to drive, and my corolla's have always been able to put the same grin (if not bigger) on my face.

Most of you know of my corolla builds, and those that don't can reference my old silver 20v one is the most recognizable that Derrick currently owns. Anyone who drove it, usually was totally surprised by its capabilities.

Here's Clarkson's review of it, its pretty funny. (Europe got the hatch as we never get the good cars here)

I like to think outside the norm, outside the usual box. Its ironic how outside the box ends up in the most "cookie cutter" car, albeit the best selling car of all time.

Over the years I started collecting pieces toward this pipe dream project. I waited until I came upon the right parts for the right price.

The original idea was to stuff a longitudinally mounted 4 cylinder (20v 4age) into a AE10X chassis Corolla. After researching power numbers and potential, it seemed pointless to put that kind of time and energy into the result of a 23-2400lb rwd sedan with 150-180 whp max.

This thought morphed into what became the v8 project.

Edited by MRS Joe

Last spring a friend was parting with his high mileage 1uz out of his ls400. Broken timing belt. I said perfect. Driveline was secured. Non interference aluminum Toyota v8 for the win.

IMG_3705_zpsb441aa87.jpg

Years back I looked for and bought a FD Rx7 complete power frame with diff, axles, suspension, hubs etc. Only thing which was not there was the ebrake cables but I since bought new ones.

IMG_1914_zps70fe9c86.jpg

Sub note: I specifically looked for a rx7 rear end as it shared the same factory track width as the corolla and has a simpler rear subframe to attach to any modified tub. The upper and lower control arms are attached to the subframe. The arms are all aluminum, and the whole assembly is light due to the design of the rx7, and as a bonus, Mazda used sealed spherical bearings in there bushings.

Unfortunately Toyota didn't make anything like this, the is300 and other rwd models were much more heavy, different widths, and difficult to bolt up. They rely heavily on the chassis for pivot points where as the rx7 rear is a contained unit attached to the chassis.

I had a 91' Cressida (you ask why didn't you just use that you dumbass) but when I went to cut the rust out of it, it was never ending, I kept cutting, and cutting, and eventually realized it was beyond the point of return. That car has sat at my parents for the last 8 years. Last autox'd it in 2005. In the end, everything happens for a reason. So this chassis was to become a part donor for the project.

Im going to try to use the cressida subframe and tunnel. There are kits bolting the v8 to the cressida, so i figure its a simpler starting point as well as having all the pieces handy and paid for.

At autox.

img_0004_zps609a7bb6.jpg

Front clip

IMG_2698_zps5ce1a463.jpg

• Like 1

So now to the project.

I decided I would use the "Green Bastard". But after looking at the chassis further, and knowing it needs a body integrity (written off and bought it back) it seemed less realistic to use that chassis.

Its been a good storage unit for corolla parts as well.

I saw project binky ( https://www.youtube.com/user/badobsessionmsport) and got the idea for "Pinky", my wifes pink 93 corolla. But again, after cutting into it this fall, the rockers and chassis overall had a bit too much cancer for the purpose intended.

So I went and hunted for a shell.

I found it in a 96' Corolla with a blown engine. Rural car, undercoated. Minimal body damage, almost no rust.

This is the starting point.

IMG_3633_zpsb76408ed.jpg

As for the name, cookie cutter lead me to the "Cookie Monster". Didn't like any other names that seemed fitting.

This name was backed up by it having the optional built in child booster seat, which im leaving in.

My requirements are for the corolla to keep stock body lines and retain the stock interior. I know that will be a challenge with the added height of the modified cressida tunnel. Fortunately I have 1 to 2 spares of most pieces.

Progress pics: (This is one 4 hour period, thanks to the Janzen Bros)

IMG_3674_zps4bd5d435.jpg

IMG_3695_zps1577e2b2.jpg

Funny clip to a oversight......

Mr. Janzen sporting his new 2015 sponsor's gear ;)

IMG_3832_zps60daa458.jpg

Ya Baby! Glad to see your postng this. Can't wait to see it.

So your grafting the front subframe and tunnel of the cressida onto the corolla? oh, Cool!

Now I get the Cookie moster name. Ha!

I drove a silver 2001 corolla hatch in germany when I was there with my wife.Ya, quite different than ours.

Ya Baby! Glad to see your postng this. Can't wait to see it.

So your grafting the front subframe and tunnel of the cressida onto the corolla? oh, Cool!

Now I get the Cookie moster name. Ha!

I drove a silver 2001 corolla hatch in germany when I was there with my wife.Ya, quite different than ours.

What class do you expect it to be running in?

Itll be soon. Cleaning up and purging to make it a liveable habitat for the next 6 months. Once its done ill shoot you a text.

I spent the other evening reading through your build on the seven, the word "amazing" summed up my thoughts.

I wanted to import a hatchback, but the end cost made me realize its not the most ideal. This is a nice example.

http://www.ae101ownersclub.com/t1118-alan-v-s-900bhp-corolla-4wd-monster

The MR2 is E street. The Corolla will be E-Mod. One car for each end of the autox spectrum.

Subscribed! Can't wait for more updates.

That shell looks likes it's in excellent condition from the pictures. Nice score!

So what happens to Pinky now... Ice racer? :D

Pinky is the backup when we need a beater. Sits on storage insurance until a tree, wildlife, or I find a need for it again.

Nice, 'cept the link for Clarkson's review points to some video of Beau and a  ..... nevermind.

So it's back to Corolla Joe? And what of the MR2?

Fixed. Youtube can be stupid sometimes.

I guess ill become MRS Corolla Joe.

The mr2 is not the most practical. Every time I mention parting with it, my wife simply says "No, end of conversation".

The end goal with this build is to create an amazing handling sedan, with autox in mind, and hooliganism the ultimate priority.

Id love to use it for the drift days in gimli, solosprint/lapping, and a extra 4 door when its needed.

Thanks to Jeff for spending the day cleaning the garage with me.  I also started purging some of my obnoxious corolla parts collection.
Interior is now in the basement with the wife's blessing. I sealed off the glass (protection from cutting/welding) and removed the sound deadening (interior) off the floor pan.
Rough cad template in position for trans tunnel hole to be cut.
Almost ready to cut a huge hole. Just need to put 2 braces I have in mind to keep the front square.

• Like 1

So last night ended up being a big night. This was my goal to reach before Christmas and I have done so :)

Car is prepped to move forward....

048C4AB6-DFEC-4039-82BF-4AA84EB48783_zps

11F37F06-1659-41A6-A6C7-6B52D8ACCD21_zps

Made a CAD Template. Techniques acquired from watching from Project Binky.

80759A8E-6669-4E2F-B496-64B0221F5D13_zps

But then I got a bit carried away....

1324B1C9-A82F-4F43-8915-B0AC2FFF184D_zps

Oops, how this this happen.

DC3591F4-5F69-42A1-8146-DDA70CCFFB77_zps

Well I couldn't stop. I had to go big or go home. I left the garage at 11:30 last night after a beer and having left it in this state:

909DCB73-0CC8-4588-82A6-027F0B1E3957_zps

No, it actually was this state :)

1F1FC22D-C491-4451-B16F-551F4FEA36D5_zps

Look closer, the oe rad even fits. I knew this was a match made to be.

E47D8C8B-569B-41DF-8B9C-1F0B571F5069_zps

Now is when the fun gets to begin.

Time to ask santa for more cardboard :)

After doing a couple FWD to RWD conversions myself, an item to think about is that a lot of RWD cars are triple layer on the tunnel/firewall area as a makeshift scattershield. I don't know if it's already on your list of parts but buying an SFI bell or blanket is a good idea depending on how you put your tunnel back.

You are a sick, sick man. Awesome!

My only tip is to keep the power and pinion angles the same when viewed from the side to cancel out driveshaft accelerations/torsionals. Plan view offset doesn't matter much either, as long as they're also parallel in that plane.

We spend a lot of effort ensuring we meet those goals - and if we don't we're rewarded with lots of noise/vibration and short driveshaft life.

Im taking the oe cressida tunnel section and putting it in. Its 14-16g and double layered in some areas. I want to put a extra layer at the u joints and also a driveshaft hoop. I am keeping the auto so if I did go manual/turbo, then id reinforce it further or throw the blanket in. Good points, thanks. What did you convert?

Flexplates can break too! Just throwing it out there. SFI Ballistic Blankets don't cost an arm and a leg (excuse the pun) and thus are cheap insurance.

Years ago I had an '84 Tercel HB that I 20v'd and AWD'd

I am currently doing a Late 90's Grand Prix to RWD race car although my progress has halted due to life and choices getting in the way.

You are a sick, sick man. Awesome!

My only tip is to keep the power and pinion angles the same when viewed from the side to cancel out driveshaft accelerations/torsionals. Plan view offset doesn't matter much either, as long as they're also parallel in that plane.

We spend a lot of effort ensuring we meet those goals - and if we don't we're rewarded with lots of noise/vibration and short driveshaft life.

That's the plan. The engine/trans will sit higher then the diff, but the two units must be at the same angle. The way the trans brace is going to work, it should be easy. Its a partially blank canvas, so I may as well make it right.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!  What else can you say :lol:

Can't wait to see the finished product !

Are you planning on having it running for the up coming season ?

My ideal goal is to have it move under its own power by mid summer. Very optimistic, but id like to give it a shakedown this year before sealing and completing the car fully.

So over the xmas holidays, I didn't make much progress. Family comes first.

For christmas I got a corolla related gift from my wife. Was her's when she was younger.

5A50F87D-2377-40ED-A87E-9F9A91E41CE1_zps

Also using my christmas money, I bought another corolla. This one is the 7th AE10x corolla ive owned now. Currently have 4 of them with this one. Yes, I have issues.

092ea3e9-8888-45c0-8872-5f873698da27_zps

As for progress, the cressida front clip got pulled in the garage, and went to this:

D999B4B4-8996-4111-A2DC-EFFDEED8E1A6_zps

Then proceeded to get torn down further to end up at this.

B28B5722-5C23-4E33-81C3-EB27935C0CD3_zps

Its now reaching the point ill need to brace the front clip to safely remove the subframe supports the corolla had front the factory.

To compensate if there will be any shifting, ill be using the factory chassis dimensions to verify its square when welding in the replacement extra structural sections.

• Like 1