Tires - bought in Canada ?

coach

Regarding the RE71R,I talked to Costco Monday 245/40/17 1 pair left, no 225/45/17 or 215/45/17's left in stock in Canada. They mentioned they offer the Bridgestone sale ($70 off any set) twice a year, usually now and September. They are expecting a replenishment of 'stones in a few weeks, but the issue with tires is the supply management chains behind them are archaic at best. Costco (or other retailers like Tirerack.com) usually don't know what sizes and how many are provided until they open the Sea Can container when it lands on our shores. They could run into situations where they get a few sets of 225/45/17 but x10 more in another size. Because of this the retailers can't guarantee availability or take down orders for stock they A,don't know now many will arrive or B if they will arrive in at all in certain sizes. Summer tires are usually manufactured over the winter to build up supply for the upcoming season, so this would be the worst time of year when everyone is looking for tires but the retailers don't have their 2017 stock yet. I think September might be the better time to buy RE71r on sale, if you know what your plans are for the following year.

At costco.ca it looks like you can order the RE-71R in 225/45R17 and get the instant discount. Perhaps you won't get them for some time but you still can order and get your discount. What cheap tire in that size. For my car a full set is $1560.

23 hours ago, codewhore said:

LOL, check out the thread that you started last year...

LOL, thanks but none of those Canadian places sell the BFG's I need

PMC has Hankook though, they only have the RS4 available right now.  Not sure if I want to change from BFG.

Maybe @Magner knows something about the RS4?

19 hours ago, codewhore said:

At costco.ca it looks like you can order the RE-71R in 225/45R17 and get the instant discount. Perhaps you won't get them for some time but you still can order and get your discount. What cheap tire in that size. For my car a full set is $1560.

This is what I was thinking as well. I am going to try it.

As for JT winning on winters, I have no idea how he did it because I tried that in a school and it was like racing on marshmallows. maybe he had a lower profile tire that helped :unsure:

22 hours ago, Magner said:

Regarding the RE71R,I talked to Costco Monday 245/40/17 1 pair left, no 225/45/17 or 215/45/17's left in stock in Canada. They mentioned they offer the Bridgestone sale ($70 off any set) twice a year, usually now and September. They are expecting a replenishment of 'stones in a few weeks, but the issue with tires is the supply management chains behind them are archaic at best. Costco (or other retailers like Tirerack.com) usually don't know what sizes and how many are provided until they open the Sea Can container when it lands on our shores. They could run into situations where they get a few sets of 225/45/17 but x10 more in another size. Because of this the retailers can't guarantee availability or take down orders for stock they A,don't know now many will arrive or B if they will arrive in at all in certain sizes. Summer tires are usually manufactured over the winter to build up supply for the upcoming season, so this would be the worst time of year when everyone is looking for tires but the retailers don't have their 2017 stock yet. I think September might be the better time to buy RE71r on sale, if you know what your plans are for the following year.

So what did they suggest? Keep trying to buy them online every few days? Send thoughts and prayers?

20 hours ago, codewhore said:

I tried (over the phone with my sister who has a Costco membership). They will let you get to the last step of the order process and then tell you they don't have stock so they can't take the order.

4 hours ago, codewhore said:

Perhaps it is time to consider a good set of all-seasons. That said, JT once took the class win in his TT on a set of winter tires...that was so painful to endure.

Wasn't that the snow event at RRX...I remember doing that on R's in Claudio's RX8. We should have put the all seasons on it. 

For all those thinking RE's..what about A7's in your size? :D I may be on 3 year old Z2's at this rate. 

36 minutes ago, justkickin said:

For all those thinking RE's..what about A7's in your size? :D

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, coach said:

LOL, thanks but none of those Canadian places sell the BFG's I need

PMC has Hankook though, they only have the RS4 available right now.  Not sure if I want to change from BFG.

Maybe @Magner knows something about the RS4?

The BFG Rival S, is not part of BFG's regular product line. They are made in a small batches by the BFG motorsports division, I don't think they have the capacity to make enough to supply everyone who stocks there regular items. Only places I know that sell the Rival S are motorsports supportive places like Tirerack and Phil's Tire Service. https://philstireservice.com/shop/bfg-g-force-rival/.

Only RS-4 review or feedback I have found so far worth sharing or repeating: http://www.tracktuned.com/feed/2017/3/19/tire-test-toyo-r888r-and-hankook-rs4

Note David Whitener, the guy who did the test, won in STS last weekend at the SCCA National Tour event on the BFG's if that's any indication..

53 minutes ago, Curtis said:

So what did they suggest? Keep trying to buy them online every few days? Send thoughts and prayers?

I tried (over the phone with my sister who has a Costco membership). They will let you get to the last step of the order process and then tell you they don't have stock so they can't take the order.

Yeah Costco online availability is not updated regularly. Website still shows sizes out of stock as a available. Best bet is to call ahead. :(

Options are:

a. Drive whatever leftovers you have until Costco has something in stock. By the indication I got, they "SHOULD" have some new stock by the end of May, note that's still 2 months away.

b.Buy somewhere else, PMC tire, tirerack etc but for more $$$. 

c. Find a codrive until then. (I'll like have a spot open in the S... on Champiro's)

Based on availability and pricing I may be co-driving a Corolla S on RE's for the price of one front tire (in a Pilot PS2, no RE's for my car anywhere) on my car. A7's for me are $2200 from TireRack and nobody has RE's at all for my car.

Uggh, this could be a short season for me as my current RE's are going into their third season with 108 runs on them. Could be quite similar to those special winters that JT had. laughing on the outside...:( 

Regarding the price of tires at Costco versus PMC tire, if you go almost all the way through the checkout and get to your final total, I found that the price was almost the same except for with PMC I would have to play for installation. The difference was that Costco was both taxes and PMC was just GST.

Just got word that the wheels I want are now at the warehouse in Cali so next week I might be placing my order for both wheels and tires. If the wheels are as light as I am being told they will be 12lbs per wheel/tire lighter than my current setup. Woohoo. 

I've ordered my Pilot Super Sports from pmctire. They had the best price at the time, shipping was about $12 to my door, and I got them in 3 days. Would buy from them again, however, I think some specialty tires can be found cheaper elsewhere. 

Quattro Tires in Canada

Paid $1064 including taxes and delivery for 4  -  RE71R's in the 245/40/18 size...  and I still can submit for the $70 rebate...  Forms are on their site.

They called me before shipping them to confirm my address and advise when they would be delivered and then sent me a FedEx tracking number...  They should arrive on Tuesday.

http://www.quattrotires.com/

On 3/31/2017 at 7:52 PM, evolv said:

Quattro Tires in Canada

Paid $1064 including taxes and delivery for 4  -  RE71R's in the 245/40/18 size...  and I still can submit for the $70 rebate...  Forms are on their site.

They called me before shipping them to confirm my address and advise when they would be delivered and then sent me a FedEx tracking number...  They should arrive on Tuesday.

http://www.quattrotires.com/

Sounds good! I just checked them out and they are cheapest for my size as well.

Can you please confirm your order arrived as intended once you have them, so we know these guys are legit? I'll probably buy from them as well.

4 hours ago, Beau said:

Sounds good! I just checked them out and they are cheapest for my size as well.

Can you please confirm your order arrived as intended once you have them, so we know these guys are legit? I'll probably buy from them as well.

I placed my order with quattrotires earlier today. 235/45/17 RE-71R was a bit more than Costco but less than pmctire. I'll share my experience too.

12 hours ago, Curtis said:

I placed my order with quattrotires earlier today. 235/45/17 RE-71R was a bit more than Costco but less than pmctire. I'll share my experience too.

I just bought from quattrotires also. Bridgestone RE-71R in 255/40/17 size.

I ended up ordering from Costco on Friday afternoon after PMC ran out of stock on what I wanted. It looks like quattro tire would be cheaper, but they too are out of stock on my size.

Paid 1551.45 at Costco installed. Would be about 1490 without installation. It looks like quattro tire would be 1310 without installation of course. I think I am going to give them a call and see about expected availability. Plus, being an Audi fan, how can I not order from a place named quattro?

Assuming I am sticking with Costco, I need to figure out if I am going to let Costco install my tires or take it somewhere else. I just want to know my new wheels will come back in the exact same condition that they go in.

9 hours ago, codewhore said:

I ended up ordering from Costco on Friday afternoon after PMC ran out of stock on what I wanted. It looks like quattro tire would be cheaper, but they too are out of stock on my size.

Paid 1551.45 at Costco installed. Would be about 1490 without installation. It looks like quattro tire would be 1310 without installation of course. I think I am going to give them a call and see about expected availability. Plus, being an Audi fan, how can I not order from a place named quattro?

Assuming I am sticking with Costco, I need to figure out if I am going to let Costco install my tires or take it somewhere else. I just want to know my new wheels will come back in the exact same condition that they go in.

Costco took an order without having the size? Do they charge you now or later? 

That last sentence is exactly the reason why the only shop that touches my wheels is Fountain on Fermor. 

Just now, justkickin said:

Costco took an order without having the size? Do they charge you now or later? 

That last sentence is exactly the reason why the only shop that touches my wheels is Fountain on Fermor. 

No, sorry, I ordered from them as everyone else was sold out and my understanding was they had some exclusive pricing on Bridgestone tires. They have a great cancellation policy so I ordered before everything disappeared. Was shocked to see that Quattro had better pricing. 

Last year I ordered my tires through Costco on McGillivray, had them installed there as well since it's included in the total price and paying $120+ for a mount and balance is a bit steep in my opinion

Tires were ordered and paid for and arrived about a month later. They stored them for a week or so until I brought my wheels down. The guys there mounted them with no issues and no damage to my wheels. Wouldn't hesitate to go back, especially with what Kal and Fountain charge for a M&B.

16 hours ago, codewhore said:

Costco has top notch machines and the guys are good. I'd trust them as much as any other tire shop.

tim, fountain on pembina gouged one of my rims years ago.  No one is immune.  Costco and any other shop should stand behind it though and fix it if they f it up.  That location of Fountain did not, claiming it was like that prior.  

It can happen to anyone anywhere. Some places may not maintain the equipment as good as others tho. If I was walking into any place with new rims mounting difficult to mount tires I would let it be known that everybody is on the same page and know that the rims are expensive (hint, hint). Inspect them prior to mounting so both parties know there was no prior damage. Just use common sense.

Archived