1973 Celica ST (considering subframe connectors)

any toyota motor? 4cyl to v8

You got it. Thats why Bryan's v6 mr2 falls in SM under SSM.

As long as its from the same manufacturer family and doesn't change drivetrain orientation, your golden. Read the fine print, as there are rules as to what your allowed to do to make it fit. But with the 22re, shouldn't be much. Practically a bolt in affair.

Since im changing from FWD to RWD, and also had to cut the chassis, I will be in EM with Chris in the lotus with the Corolla.

any toyota motor? 4cyl to v8

You got it. Thats why Bryan's v6 mr2 falls in SM under SSM.

As long as its from the same manufacturer family and doesn't change drivetrain orientation, your golden. Read the fine print, as there are rules as to what your allowed to do to make it fit. But with the 22re, shouldn't be much. Practically a bolt in affair.

Since im changing from FWD to RWD, and also had to cut the chassis, I will be in EM with Chris in the lotus with the Corolla.

So I guess this is something I will have to keep in mind for the build.

3800 is dimensionally smaller, full roller valvetrain (from the LS1) and L67's have forged internals.

If you decide to go this route, I have a '98 that you can have for cheap!

Another bonus is that if you have the T5WC you can later upgrade to the 5.3L LS4 and keep the trans you have but likely you'd have enough fun with the 3800!

My friend had a 2 door Cricket that we picked up from the local wrecker. It was pink but but probably just faded red. It looked a lot like the first gen Corolla's We actually drove it home on an R plate Probably would have made it home too if he would have been a little nicer on, it did good donuts. His plan was to put a v8 in it but he had so manny projects and a barn full of old muscle car parts, so he never got to it.

from Japan maybe? Sounds very hard to get a hold of since they were only in the top GT 2000 model. You might be better off just recreating it with your motor. Maybe just keep a lookout on ebay for the head. I think even if you had a 18R-G, you might be disappointed in the performance compared to your mustang unless you tune the heck out it (the rally versions made pretty good hp). Cool to see there was a DOHC carbed toyota engine though. And of course Yamaha made the head like on the 3sgte in my car.

• Like 1

Yamaha and Toyota's relationship has been an ongoing story. From the late 60's to even the 2zz in the celicas gts in the mid 2000's. Not sure if anything recent has had help from them, but they assisted in the designs of many heads for high rpm use.

I agree with Bryan that when you factor in cost, the bang for buck out of the 18r would be hard.

Note: the "g" designates performance head. "F" designated economy, and where there's a "e" it is for fuel injection. The initial number was a assigned displacement code followed by engine series letter or letters later

I'd still look at height and fitting a beams 3sge.

6 Speed transmission with a 2l that revs to 8 and puts out 209hp and almost 170ft lbs Tq.

Can be at your door complete for less then $2500.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/121562218685

Here's some history. Look at the figures on some of the s series motors.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_S_engine

:)

The sound fits the car imo.

Building a 18r, I doubt the power numbers would be much better and it'd cost the same if not more, with less reliability.

Or get a 3sgte and put a rwd trans behind it. 300hp+ easily all day.

• Like 1

I spent some time looking at the beams. cool stuff.  The Beams fast back is a cool car! I also followed the ebay link to the actual company web site. They stock all kinds of Japanese imported engines and they are in Canada. To have the engine shipped to my house is really cheap. How hard is it to get repair parts for the BEAMS? You were saying 300hp easy, how so? I saw one of these with the individual throttle bodies and it looked quite sweet: https://ra64freddy.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/fire_van_carina3.jpgI like the look of the throttle bodies set up like this. On a side note the guys on the Mach 1 Registry were saying my Mach 1 makes a lot more power than I thought. At the fly wheel it is probably making 340ish hp untuned and when I get it dyno tuned it will be closer to 380 fly wheel hp and 400 ft lb of torque. I thought the guy I bought it from was pulling my leg when he told me it made 380 hp. When I heard that yesterday I was pretty excited. I knew it was fast but did not realize how fast. factory is more like 300hp. So ultimate dream would still be an all aluminum Mach 1 engine. Though the Mach can't hook up so the celica would be useless in a very fun way. I have only seen one mustang cobra engine in a celica: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU5iiyBzl8E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lk7-Kns9g0

He was saying the 3sgte like the one in my alltrac can easily make 300hp with a small turbo upgrade. The stock turbo will almost do that much with a simple boost controller. The Beams 3sge could probably do close to that as well with some tuning but not as reliably. but a Beams with ITBs is probably the newest engine you could put in there and have it look pretty much right in the engine bay. I'd be very tempted to do that myself.

• Like 1

He was saying the 3sgte like the one in my alltrac can easily make 300hp with a small turbo upgrade. The stock turbo will almost do that much with a simple boost controller. The Beams 3sge could probably do close to that as well with some tuning but not as reliably. but a Beams with ITBs is probably the newest engine you could put in there and have it look pretty much right in the engine bay. I'd be very tempted to do that myself.

Exactly.

The caldina 3sgte was the motor going in the corolla if Derrick had not bought it.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/181666518516

Fun video of that caldina motor in a good home.

Edit: this is the link I was thinking of. Wish we got that corolla here.

• Like 1

Oh ok I have a lot to learn about Toyota stuff. I know my Muscle car stuff well but this is all new to me. I did not realize the 3sgte you were talking about was different than the BEAMS. I did some reading and the 1st gen Celica guys say it is a costly swap to do the 3sgte. How reliable is the BEAMS motor? Besides looking really cool what point to doing the itbs, Also what would it take to do the individual throttle bodies? Thanks again for answering all of my silly questions. 

• 1 month later...

So this is not really related to the celica but just one of my other projects. Thought I will just post this up here instead of creating a bunch of separate forum posts. So last fall the day before I parked my Mach 1 for winter it started rattling. I recognized the sound right away as the catalytic converter. My last mustang had the same issue. So I parked and waited through the winter to get to this issue.

So this week I pulled off the Mid pipe and slid it out from under the car. I went to lean it on the wall and out dripped a golf ball sized piece of soemthing. It was what was left of the guts of the catalytic converter. Then I was further surprised when I found this on both Catalyc converters: 

IMG_4176.jpg

So it appears that both catalytic converters were punched out by the previous owner. So since the exhaust was off I figured I have to at least start the car and see how loud it was. Idle was a really nice rumble a blip of the throttle and it sure was loud. My wife figured the whole block heard it  :). Sure am tempted to go for a quick rip down the highway.

As far as the Celica purchase goes I contacted the owner about making an offer and he has time to meet next week. So I am getting excited about that. He has the bill of sale but just needs to get the TOD. The car has not been registered in about 25 years.

Today was a good day. I ended up buying the Celica now I just have to get it home. Cool facts: The odometer is not supposed to be rolled over and I was told it has like 33000 original miles. The car has been parked with the guy I bought it from for 10 years and 15 years at the previous guys moms house. Previous to that it was in a high speed police chase! 

Today my dad and I went to do a bit of work on the car. We filled the tires up with air. they are brand new in terms of use but really old. Then we towed it out of the mud and moved it to a grassy aria on the lot. The breaks still have pressure to them. On thursday My good friend is going to hook me up with a trailer a and we will be picking up the car an bringing it home. I have a couple of pictures from today:

Where the car was sitting today and the same spot where we found it for the first time:

IMG_4233.jpg

IMG_4231.jpg

IMG_4232.jpg

We used my Subaru Impreza to pull it out of the mud :D :

IMG_4238.jpg

Looked at the floor boards for the first time ever now that it was out of the mud and they looked surprisingly solid considering its age. There are a couple of holes but I expected worse.

a bit more to the previous post apparently it did not like me posting so much pictures in one post:

The interior:
IMG_4234.jpg
IMG_4235.jpg
The back seat with my  :D bumpers: 
IMG_4236.jpg

The dash board is crack free:
IMG_4244.jpg

and the milage the previous owner said he thought it had not been rolled over yet. The owners manual in the glove box had some writing on it saying it had be bought with just over 3000 miles on it buy the guy who got in a police chase (at least that is how I understood it).
IMG_4245.jpg

engine:
IMG_4237.jpg
IMG_4243.jpg

door vin code plate. Cool fact this car shares a birthday month with me:
IMG_4247.jpg

This very sweet Carona woodie wagon was sitting in the back of the lot where the Celica is sitting. It is owned by an art teacher who wants to crush it into a little cube  :shock: :
IMG_4239.jpg

looks in better shape than I thought. great find. will be an awesome lil car!

I was relieved that it was as solid as it was when I looked at it yesterday.

I know I'm an odd duck but I like the original seafoam green color. I'd repaint it that.

I just might do that yet it is growing on me. What ever color does end up on the car I am going to be putting the original ST stripes back on the car.