Project E-Mod MGB-GT

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nostalgia is overrated anyway. In terms of bang for the buck, it's very, very, very hard to go wrong with a domestic V8. I'll leave the Chevy vs. Ford argument alone ( I don't have an allegiance just the current devil I know...sort of). I really need to start on my own sacrilegious SBF -> e36 BMW swap. :DYes, I did have a glass of wine before posting this. :P

If you do a small block chevy, you can do a later model truck block (5.7L vortec). Those are rated for around 300 crank horse. Just slap a holley on top or EFI holley throttle body injection and you're good to go. I also have a roller camshaft, & lifters that I can donate from when I built a 355 SBC in high school. (Chevy guy here :P)

I predict a decently warmed up domestic V8 anything will make a 2200-2400 lb car a major handful. Traction issues even with slicks will abound. Even with thewimpy 351W, with my car, I had to be careful with launches lest I be "that guy". It did make deciding which lane I wanted to switch to, on the street, much, much easier though. ;)RIP 351W.Simpler here is probably better since I imagine, seat time/setup time is most important?

I predict a decently warmed up domestic V8 anything will make a 2200-2400 lb car a major handful. Traction issues even with slicks will abound. Even with thewimpy 351W' date=' with my car, I had to be careful with launches lest I be "that guy". It did make deciding which lane I wanted to switch to, on the street, much, much easier though. ;)RIP 351W.Simpler here is probably better since I imagine, seat time/setup time is most important?[/quote']The guy who wins EMod every year has a car which weighs 1850 lbs and makes 340 hp at the wheels and I don't plan on taking a knife to a gunfight. My car should weigh 2100 lbs with a 5.0.

The guy who wins EMod every year has a car which weighs 1850 lbs and makes 340 hp at the wheels and I don't plan on taking a knife to a gunfight. My car should weigh 2100 lbs with a 5.0.

Never would suggest bringing a knife if you expect to be competitive. :)Spoon, possibly, but not a knife. :DFYI, I ruined the 351W in my car last year thus why I mentioned the "RIP" comment. I wasn't suggesting you drop a heavier engine (heavier than a 5.0) if your power goals are met with the 5.0.

Go radical and put a turbo 4-cyl Nissan motor in' date=' if you want unique and lightweight. (granted, they likely won't mate to your bellhousing and trans)[/quote']I'm with ^.If you're still 250 lbs overweight, a turbo or SC 4-pot would solve your problem. You could go Nissan SR20, or a Honda K20 or even F-series from an s2k. Plenty of these motors are putting down 300+ whp on stock internals with no issues.Cost would be a bit higher upfront - probably $2500 on the low end for a good SR20 or B-series with a used turbo setup, plus whatever it takes to mate the tranny or driveshaft.

I can appreciate that there are some really good, powerful and light engines out there. Even the turbo 4 cylinder in the Solstice GXP can make 400 hp on stock internals and is light, but these things don't come cheap. At this point my decision is all cost related and I have been given a modified Ford 5.0 which weighs 250 lbs less than the V12 and makes similar hp and torque-and it bolts to my transmission. I simply don't have the funds to properly fix my V12 or put anything exotic in the car. This morning I pulled the exhaust, spoiler, splitter, bumper and fenders off so pulling the engine will be easier. I also bolted the bearing caps and oil pan back on the engine so I don't lose anything. I may rebuild this engine some day and make it into a real screamer with high compression pistons and good cams.Posted Image

If the forced induction 4 cyl is already tuned and has a nice flat torque curve and is reasonably priced and can be installed quickly to minimize downtime and ...Hm, there's a few "ands" there.I am not a V8 snob (well.. maybe a little bit) by any means so if there is a good 4 cyl option I'd take it (if I was in Mark's shoes), I'm still thinking bang for the buck (cool factor be damned), however. Racing ain't cheap.Damn, Mark beat my post.

I'll take instant throttle response over turbo lag any day for autocross. Sure, you can drive around it but it's just one more thing for the driver to have to manage, taking their attention away from everything else.

.... kudos to whoever stepped up!! :cool:

It's Geoff from the Porsche Club. Corners Quickly built the engine with ported and polished heads and a Ford Racing Cam and apparently it's quite powerful. And since it's been sitting for 3 years, Geoff decided to give it to me. I just need a bellhousing, flywheel and pressure plate to put it in the MGB. And no more carbs to deal with!!! :)

It's Geoff from the Porsche Club. Corners Quickly built the engine with ported and polished heads and a Ford Racing Cam and apparently it's quite powerful. And since it's been sitting for 3 years' date=' Geoff decided to give it to me. I just need a bellhousing, flywheel and pressure plate to put it in the MGB. And no more carbs to deal with!!! :)[/quote']Can't blame you for taking that. Sounds like a great solution, and after watching Kiesel in Lincoln last weekend, I don't think he needs all 340whp to run the times that he does. And Corey has a point - I would bet he spends more time waiting for boost than he does putting down 300+ ponies.

Can't blame you for taking that. Sounds like a great solution' date=' and after watching Kiesel in Lincoln last weekend, I don't think he needs all 340whp to run the times that he does. And Corey has a point - I would bet he spends more time waiting for boost than he does putting down 300+ ponies.[/quote']Yes, I have watched him on course and his videos and I think he's entirely beatable. 5.0 engines are known for their torque and I hope to use it to make the Pink Panther easy to drive. Based on the few runs that I have in it, I think the car is going to be really quick and easy to drive once it's sorted.

I removed the final bits and pieces getting in the way of pulling the engine today so now all I have to do is get my engine hoist and pull out the V12. There should be lots of room in there for the V8, maybe I can add a trunk for holding our helmets? ;)Posted ImagePosted Image

I removed the final bits and pieces getting in the way of pulling the engine today so now all I have to do is get my engine hoist and pull out the V12. There should be lots of room in there for the V8' date=' maybe I can add a trunk for holding our helmets? ;)[/quote']Helmet room...gives the Panther an edge over the Solstice! lolGlad you found a donor, hope things continue to go in the right direction.

It took quite a while but I finally got the Ford 5.0 I'm using out of the vehicle it's been sitting in. The engine is a mess with all it's emissions garbage still attached and a layer of rust on every surface but it was free and does run really well so I can't complain too much. Just to get an idea of how it will fit, I hoisted the V8 into the space freshly vacated by the V12 and it looks like everything will fit ok. There will be a bunch of fab work required but I think I can handle it.Posted Image

As is typical for these kind of projects, the "free" engine I was given was actually going to be quite costly to put in the car. It came out of a truck and even though the Mustang and F150 5.0 were similar, they are not the same. The location of accessories, intake, compression ratio, camshaft, pistons, water pump and other tidbits are different so getting the same performance out of a truck engine is more costly and difficult. Fortunately, I found a complete and running Mustang 5.0 HO engine locally for $200.00 and it even includes headers. On the left is the High Output 5.0 and on the right is the F150 engine:Posted ImagePosted Image

The 5.0 was pretty dirty so I removed all the brackets and started cleaning. I soaked it in engine degreaser then used a wire brush on the end of a drill to get the thick stuff. Then I used a garden hose to rinse the engine off so I could take a closer look. If I found any more grime, I soaked that area with degreaser and scrubbed some more. After several cycles of degreaser-rinse-inspect I was able to go over the whole engine with brake cleaner to remove the film left by the degreaser. Then I sprayed it with Ford Racing Blue engine paint. Before and after:Posted ImagePosted Image

Mark, there is (was?) a place on McPhillips called PaintFX that could make custom paint for various applications and put it into an aerosol can for you. They might be able to do custom engine paint colours too if you really want it panther pink!

Mark' date=' there is (was?) a place on McPhillips called PaintFX that could make custom paint for various applications and put it into an aerosol can for you. They might be able to do custom engine paint colours too if you really want it panther pink![/quote']I called them and they can do it, cool! :)

Update: I called Paint FX and asked if they made custom color paint for an engine, the guys said "yes, but not for the exhaust manifolds". So I went down there and the guy at the counter said he just uses regular car paint and never had a problem. I explained that I used regular car paint on the pink valve covers and that just melted off. They had no explanation for this but said I could always bring the paint back if it didn't work. I said "So,I paint the whole engine, put it in the car and your paint melts off, you will pay for it to be pulled out, disassembled and resprayed?", of course the answer was "no". So no pink 5.0 for the Pink Panther.

I installed a windage tray and road race oil pan today. A windage tray is designed to keep oil from splashing back up on the crank during racing while still allowing oil to drip into the pan. The oil pan is made by Canton and has several one way doors that keep oil flowing towards the pickup but prevent oil from flowing away. The one pic shows one of the hinged doors.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Pretty parts! What's your estimated up-and-running-again date?

I think all the parts I will need will be here within 2 weeks and once I have all the necessary bits, I should be able to whip it together in a week. I am concerned about all the computer stuff being trouble but there is a lot of info for these engines online so maybe it won't be so bad. I would day 4-6 weeks is a safe bet.

Archived