Gimli weekend - Race Event & Hotel/Dinner info

Mike

As part of our final 2022 ice race event weekend in Gimli on March 5&6 we have secured a block of rooms at the Lakeview Gimli Resort for any and all IceX/Fire on Ice participants, volunteers and family/friends associated with our WSCC club.  Reservations can be made by calling  204-642-8565 and just reference the WSCC rate.

• Standard rooms with 2 queen beds are available at $131.00 per night, Suites containing 1 King bed plus kitchenette plus sitting area are $149.00 per night . They also have Vacation Suite specials and you can get more information on those by calling Micheal Lazer, GM, at 204-642-4404.

WSCC has also arranged a private dining room at the Lakeview Resort for a special Saturday Night WSCC Ice Racing Dinner. The cost will $30.00 per ticket which includes gratuity and taxes. All event participants, volunteers and family/friends are welcome to join in the affair. Dinner is planned for 6:30pm on Saturday night and there will be a cash bar. Please note that the planned health restriction changes regarding proof of vaccination are currently expected to change on March 1 (likely no QR code requirement).  When purchasing a dinner ticket, they will have 3 main course dinner choices. 1) Pickerel fish and chips  2) Grilled Chicken Breast  3) 1/2 Rack of Baby Back Ribs and dinners will come with all the fixings. You will be able to select these options when purchasing tickets on MSR. 

MSR is open to pre-register now for the racing, volunteering and the dinner event. Most importantly, as an appreciation of their dedication the dinner tickets will be free of charge to our awesome ice event volunteers when they register on MSR. Please plan on joining us for this fabulous event!

Bring out the family for the weekend and enjoy the ice racing along with the 20th anniversary of the Gimli Ice Festival.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MSR Registration is now open for this event. Original post updated with MSR link/info.

The Fire on Ice Race entry fee is $150 for each day however there will be a $60 discount applied when you sign up for both days ($240 for 2 days). In the event you have signed up for both days and unfortunately break down and are not able to turn any laps on Sunday you will be refunded $90 from your paid amount (refunded $150 minus the $60 discount).

The IceX entry fee is $50 for each day. 

Please signup as soon as possible in order for us to better plan some of the logistics for the event.

Good day ice racers, ICE-X and volunteers. Only 6 days to Gimli Festival event so let's get registered. Dinner reservations will close off by Thursday night so we can forward info to the Catering staff. We need your reservations ahead of time for our Event Dinner Saturday Night. Its going to be fun so get on board.

• Like 1

Passengers (single) are allowed in IceX. As well at the end of the day on Saturday there will be a short open lapping appreciation session for volunteers. Due to covid protocols passengers will be allowed at the discretion of the driver only and they must supply their own helmet (no rentals available).

19 hours ago, David Klassen said:

What are the opportunities for in-car spectating at this event?

@David KlassenMaybe your question was whether you can view the course while sitting in your car, similar to Winnipeg Beach or Lake Shirley?  Not sure of the specifics of the course design this year and whether the spectator parking area affords a view of the track. Maybe Mike can answer that question.

The weather forecast for this weekend looks great, so probably an opportunity to enjoy spectating from outside your car.

Last call for our Gimli Ice Festival dinner tickets!!! 

We are submitting our dinner ticket numbers to the Lakeview Hotel tomorrow - so today is the last chance to get in on this special dinner event. Bar opens at 6:30 and dinner served at 7pm. See original post for details on registering in MSR. 

Confirmed this morning with the Lakeview Hotel - they are following current provincial health restrictions and nothing more. This means the vaccination certificate requirement was lifted yesterday.  

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Last call for our Gimli Ice Festival dinner tickets!!! 

Let's see if I've got this straight. We're having a wind-up weekend with great weather (finally), great racing (always), great food (it's the Lakeview, after all), great comradery (goes without saying). You can count me in!  By the way @Mike, first round is on me.

21 minutes ago, Weebly said:

Let's see if I've got this straight. We're having a wind-up weekend with great weather (finally), great racing (always), great food (it's the Lakeview, after all), great comradery (goes without saying). You can count me in!  By the way @Mike, first round is on me.

See you at the bar!

• Like 1

I will see you there too.  Can all our volunteers jump on this email and let us know you're coming and which days.  It will help me and Dason puzzle out who goes where as this is always a bit more complex track as there's lots of ice.  There's room for newcomers too!  Workers meeting at 10:30 on the ice.

Scott

First - the dinner reservations have just closed and been submitted. We will be treating 15 fabulous volunteers to a banquet dinner on Saturday night! 

Second - workers meeting at 10:30 is for Saturday. On Sunday the workers meeting starts an hour earlier at 9:30am. See you all on the ice!

Currently signed up in MSR for both days and on my planning records are:

Jen Bell - Queen of Race Control 

Al Marcoux - Scrutineer / Black Flag hitman enforcer

Stu Jackson - Tow Truck extraordinaire and Chief Yanker

Wayne Schellekens - Timing/Scoring & Tow Truck backer upper

Gloria Gordienko - Pit Registrar & Head Cat Herder

Glen Gordon - Grid Marshal & Liner-upper

Scott McDonald - Chief and Grand Poohbah Course Marshal

Dason Wowk - Start/Finish Marshal & king flag waver

Llew Taylor - Eagle eyed Corner Marshal 

Brian Wiebe - Eagle eyed Corner Marshal

Shawn Wolk - Eagle eyed Corner Marshal 

If I missed anyone or they can't make, please chime in on this post as per Scott's request. The weather is going to be awesome so bring a friend if you can as we will need 3 corner and 1 start/finish marshal stations. 

• Haha 2

Jen Bell - Queen of Race Control 

Al Marcoux - Scrutineer / Black Flag hitman enforcer

Stu Jackson - Tow Truck extraordinaire and Chief Yanker

Wayne Schellekens - Timing/Scoring & Tow Truck backer upper

Gloria Gordienko - Pit Registrar & Head Cat Herder

Glen Gordon - Grid Marshal & Liner-upper

Scott McDonald - Chief and Grand Poohbah Course Marshal

Dason Wowk - Start/Finish Marshal & king flag waver

Llew Taylor - Eagle eyed Corner Marshal 

Brian Wiebe - Eagle eyed Corner Marshal

Shawn Wolk - Eagle eyed Corner Marshal 

Love it!!

Everybody needs a Queen of Race Control, and WSCC has the best! I am still trying to figure out what a Grand Poobah is, though... my English to German translator seems to go into an infinite lockdown! But whatever it is, it may as well be Scott, because he has the age, knowledge and experience to be whatever he wants to be!

• Like 1