New Auto-xer

JT_TT

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: New Auto-xer

You have in essence already proved the point that I was trying to make' date=' a wider front track decreases understeer.  Reducing the rear track increases oversteer.  I made no stipulations about transient or steady state conditions and neither did you when the argument was started.I also don't understand how you can compare the track widths between different cars, saying a fwd car usually has a wider rear track than a rwd car means nothing.  Only in comparison to the front track does it mean anything.[/quote']ah, typical kbot. you dive in head-first into an argument, and then your vision narrows and all you can see are the things that support your stubborn conclusion, completely ignoring the rest. it's fascinating...of course, anyone else would have seen that i meant front to rear track width relationship. you're taking my words out of context by comparing an echo to a hummer.when carroll smith wrote his books in the 70's, equal front and rear tracks were common. he wanted to point out that they should narrow out the rear for the diagonal weight transfer. too much narrowing would lead back to understeer though.if you can find a respectable-handling rwd or awd car with a larger rear track width than front, such as like on the fwd csx, or explain why the subaru rally team, audi, and another fsae team confident enough to post their reports online would seem to agree that a narrower rear track leads to understeer, then i can take your point seriously.

Re: New Auto-xerWell there is the Acura NSX, the S2000, and the Lamborghini Murceliago, and I am sure there are other mid-engine vehicles that also have larger rear track width than front. The corvette gets a lot closer to equal track widths from the base to the Z06 but not quite equal.

Re: New Auto-xerPeople run equal track on the 350Z to get rid of understeer for Autocross-like situations. The people that track their Zs leave the stagger depending on how much understeer they want.

Re: New Auto-xerSOOOoooo.. supposedly they cannot safety a car that does not have rims that come right to the hub...my aftermarket winters do not fit perfectly so they couldn't pass my safety. so they gave me a golf so i could drive home..get my other rims bring them back in and they are doing it tommorow. what a pain in the *ss when you live out of town and HAVE the actual stock rims just they have summer rubber on them...needless to say i was quite upset about it...so yea i'll get my car back tommorow at least. i'll post pictures as soon as i can

Re: New Auto-xerI thought we had gone into sufficient depth on the center hole thing. After reading of the failed safety, I was reminded of 'pooo' I have heard from folks doing safeties for me. When I think they are making stuff up, I call the MB officials for confirmation. Since MPI took over from the MB govt, they are at 985-0920. I confirmed today that the safety inspection rules refer to wheels in a short list of ways. Elongated bolt holes, bad repairs, wheel condition, etc. There is nothing in the offical MB standards that mentions the fit of the center hole. Of course if you have splined knock-off wheels on your old Jag, MGA or 356A, MB wants to be sure the splines are not a loose fit. All is right with the world; MB has done it right! If our friend had called the above number, and found the truth, he might have saved a trip home for more rims. Of course the mechanic might have felt insulted and caused other grief, but on the other hand might have been thankful for the information. The MPI spokesman has those little plastic rings in his aftermarket rims, BTW! David

Re: New Auto-xer

SOOOoooo.. supposedly they cannot safety a car that does not have rims that come right to the hub...my aftermarket winters do not fit perfectly so they couldn't pass my safety. so they gave me a golf so i could drive home..get my other rims bring them back in and they are doing it tommorow. what a pain in the *ss when you live out of town and HAVE the actual stock rims just they have summer rubber on them...needless to say i was quite upset about it...so yea i'll get my car back tommorow at least. i'll post pictures as soon as i can

THEY'RE JUST PISSED OFF YOU DIDN'T BUY IT FROM THEM...STUPID PPL  >:(

Archived