Speedworld 2016/2017 Season

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that was lots of fun. I am eager to go back and try to learn the line and some better kart control. I am shocked at how much faster most of you are than me. But anyway, I am in for being a regular.

Regulars:

1. John

2. Sam

3. Helix

4. Stefan

5. Cody L.

6. Josh

7. Jim Eh.

8. Corey D.

9. Zach C.

10. Shawn C.

Subs:

1. Chris M.

The trick is to avoid the banana peels and go for the mushrooms or stars for a speed boost ;) JK.

In prior years the gap between drivers really tightens up mid way through the season, some have done more laps at speedworld than others. If this was your first time there, you will for sure improve in no time. 

Experience definitely counts! The email said that was my 20th visit and 62nd race since the new system in Dec 2013. I'm pretty sure that's nothing compared to some. 

Wow, those aluminum wheels are hard to grip. My forearms felt it at the end of that race! 

I took Paityn to Speedworld yesterday and we did 3 races. She loved it. I spent 2 races more or less driving close to her to help her out (I would go off and bang out one fast lap here and there though) but did have one race where I was pushing but I still didn't get any faster than I was on Thursday. I know I just have to figure out the right line, proper braking zones, etc.

@Corey Regarding the "funk" you talked about, Michelle likes the smell. And after racing Paityn too was saying "best smell ever"...I so need to get that kid into autocross as soon as she can.

On 2016-11-06 at 7:06 AM, codewhore said:

I took Paityn to Speedworld yesterday and we did 3 races. She loved it. I spent 2 races more or less driving close to her to help her out (I would go off and bang out one fast lap here and there though) but did have one race where I was pushing but I still didn't get any faster than I was on Thursday. I know I just have to figure out the right line, proper braking zones, etc.

@Corey Regarding the "funk" you talked about, Michelle likes the smell. And after racing Paityn too was saying "best smell ever"...I so need to get that kid into autocross as soon as she can.

As our director, maybe you can plea to the wcma to allow gocarts at autox. Currently thru don't allow it. The more clubs that reach out and push for it, the more likely it may happen. 

We have kids that would be up for racing (Corey bought a cart for his daughter)  and I'm sure many more would including yourself for Paityn. 

4 hours ago, MRS Joe said:

As our director, maybe you can plea to the wcma to allow gocarts at autox. Currently thru don't allow it. The more clubs that reach out and push for it, the more likely it may happen. 

We have kids that would be up for racing (Corey bought a cart for his daughter)  and I'm sure many more would including yourself for Paityn. 

Corey was talking about this at Speedworld last week but I will have to chat with him again. I am totally willing to start the discussion again however from what Beau told me about the minimum age requirement for passengers of 14 (due to insurance) I suspect that would translate into kart drive age requirements too. That said, being allowed to race at 14 in a kart might be a great thing too.

I think you can race karts at 7 at Gimli. http://www.manitobakarting.ca/

I hit a dead end with allowing karts in Canada at autocross. The top people at ASN do not believe that it's safe, and that the SCCA is wrong. Sigh... I believe they're protecting their kart program first. 

However, you couldn't drive a kart at St. Andrews regardless due to the surface condition. 

15 hours ago, codewhore said:

Anyone interested in getting some half-priced wings at Tavern United (next to TYC) on Thursday either before or after karting? Also, is someone need to schedule the race or is the season already set-up as Speedworld?

I scheduled our races through the Xmas break, all we have to do is sign up here and show up!

November 17th 7:00pm (be there for 6:30):

Confirmed:

1. John

Subs:

Confirmed:

1. John

2. Shawn

Subs:

Out:

1. Jim Eh. (Meeting night)

John, maybe make up a list of the regulars we have. Seems there are some regulars that want to join later. Maybe we might have a two tier thing, head to head goin ....;)

Sorry I am now out. I was just told about an executive meeting today that is also this Thursday.

Confirmed:

1. John

2. Sam

Subs:

Out:

1. Jim Eh. (Meeting night)

2. Shawn

On 09/11/2016 at 5:15 PM, codewhore said:

Corey was talking about this at Speedworld last week but I will have to chat with him again. I am totally willing to start the discussion again however from what Beau told me about the minimum age requirement for passengers of 14 (due to insurance) I suspect that would translate into kart drive age requirements too. That said, being allowed to race at 14 in a kart might be a great thing too.

I'm pretty sure 6 is the minimum age. I've seen some pretty young kids flogging the gimli track  

3 hours ago, RyanB said:

I'm pretty sure 6 is the minimum age. I've seen some pretty young kids flogging the gimli track  

Hey Ryan, I was referring to the minimum age specifically for autoslalom as we can't have passengers younger than 14 year old I would suspect IF we were allowed to run karts that they would still have to enforce that minimum age of 14.

Archived