2019 Ice Racing School

What great day we had yesterday in Beausejour! 

Thank you Darin and Mat, all the instructors and volunteers that came out on a cold day so we could have some fun on the ice (and learn few things too)!

The venue was great with the figure-8, slalom course and of course the big wide oval (which I needed most of to get around the corners).

I now have a much greater appreciation for the skill the ice racers have as they blast around a course at full speed.

Thanks again and good luck to all the ice racer this season!

Brad

IMG_0546.jpg

Edited by beppca
  • Like 6

Pretty cool (or should I say "cold" as in -29°C) videos!

I especially like the in-car "Figure 8" video - man, were you ever working the wheel!  I played it back several times and counted 732 revolutions of the steering wheel during the figure 8 maneuver.

If I were riding shotgun there would've been claw marks on the dash from me holding on so tight.  Meanwhile, Steve is sitting there all relaxed like as if he was back home watching TV in his recliner. 

Seriously though, the instructors were awesome and helped us improve our technique (or lack thereof) by pointing out how we could better manage and coordinate steering and throttle inputs.  All you have to do is watch any of these instructors on the ice performing their "ballet" and realize ... it ain't easy.

A big thanks to everyone that helped organize the event and volunteered.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2020 at 9:18 PM, Weebly said:

Pretty cool (or should I say "cold" as in -29°C) videos!

I especially like the in-car "Figure 8" video - man, were you ever working the wheel!  I played it back several times and counted 732 revolutions of the steering wheel during the figure 8 maneuver.

If I were riding shotgun there would've been claw marks on the dash from me holding on so tight.  Meanwhile, Steve is sitting there all relaxed like as if he was back home watching TV in his recliner. 

Seriously though, the instructors were awesome and helped us improve our technique (or lack thereof) by pointing out how we could better manage and coordinate steering and throttle inputs.  All you have to do is watch any of these instructors on the ice performing their "ballet" and realize ... it ain't easy.

A big thanks to everyone that helped organize the event and volunteered.

You counted 732 revolutions? You impress me everyday, sir lol!

Okay, might be a slight exaggeration.  Phil showed me his in-car video (on the oval) and he might have you beat with number of turns on the wheel.  You were riding in the car with him, so you probably know what I'm talking about.

Actually the Civic that Phil was driving had an interesting setup with siped front tires and gripless rear tires.  He said it had more oversteer than a RWD car.

I think everyone had a great time and learned a lot.  Darin was asking for some feedback and improvements that could be added for next year.  I'm putting together my feedback and will submit shortly.

Anyone  thinking about going out to Lake Shirley for lapping on Feb 1st?

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 11:56 AM, Weebly said:

Okay, might be a slight exaggeration.  Phil showed me his in-car video (on the oval) and he might have you beat with number of turns on the wheel.  You were riding in the car with him, so you probably know what I'm talking about.

Actually the Civic that Phil was driving had an interesting setup with siped front tires and gripless rear tires.  He said it had more oversteer than a RWD car.

I think everyone had a great time and learned a lot.  Darin was asking for some feedback and improvements that could be added for next year.  I'm putting together my feedback and will submit shortly.

Anyone  thinking about going out to Lake Shirley for lapping on Feb 1st?

lol got you

2/3 of the RS musketeers are already registered, you are missing out

By the way, are we allowed to take passengers on the "hot" (more like cold, very cold) laps?