Triple Track Showdown

mcorrie

Central Wisconsin  Sports Car Club holds meetings at Brainerd, part of their agenda is something called the Triple Track Showdown (AKA Triple Tuner Showdown). This is Auto-X, Road Course and Drag racing all during the same event weekend. they class your car and assign points to each discipline (see 'schedule' link below) We may have the capabilities to run such an event at Gimli. This kind of cross-discipline motorsports event would expose more people to different aspects of motorsports, potentially drawing in new participants to AX, TA, RR and drag racing - growing the club in the process.

from Motorsportsreg:

"Triple Track Showdown (TTS)- This is a combination of Drag Racing, Parking lot AutoX, and Road Course. Prove that you have the skill and car that can do it all. A combined score from all three events will determine the winner of each class.  No 2 driver in same car allowed, Sorry.
TTS Schedule:
Drivers Meeting/Tech 10am (Saturday) 
Drag Racing: 11am – Noon (Saturday)
Autocross: 3pm – 7pm (Saturday)
Road-Course: 10am – 5pm (Sunday)

if you choose this, you will be running with Sunday HPDE, so be sure you are at the HPDE Sunday Drivers meeting."

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/proving-grounds-2017-2-road-course-tts-autox-brainerd-intl-raceway-850927?utm_source=msr-calendar&utm_medium=email&utm_content=reglink|3|12&utm_campaign=Sep17

TTS typical Schedule. explains the 4 car classes and points distribution.

http://www.cwscc.com/2017/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/TTS-Schedule.pdf

Results from their last TTS event, lots of participants - some fast cars!

http://cwscc.com/pg/TTS Final.pdf

It sounds like a great time, this might not be possible due to the layout of GMP - I don't know  - but I thought it looked like a great event and I would "put it out there" for discussion.

-Matt

Cool idea. The WSCC already runs road racing, time attack, autoslalom, drifting and track days at the same time during our race weekends at the Gimli Motorsports Park but perhaps we can do a better job of promoting this.

At Gimli the drag strip runs right through the road race course and the two of them can't be used at the same time.

23 hours ago, nopistons said:

True, but we might be able to run the strip on a portion of Saturday and then the other events throughout the rest of the weekend depending on attendance.

That's what I was thinking. They allotted a short period of time for the drag race portion - it doesn't take long, they run their event til 8pm - we could run drag race as the last event of the day, coordinate with AX running at the "dog leg" parking lot beside the entrance gate where the drag racers pit so there is nothing in the shut-down area of the drag strip. (That's where the kart track used to be).

marketing-wise this is also an interesting proposal as WSCC could look at getting the drag-race specific local vendors to sponsor that portion of the event, and invite other automotive oriented business to sponsor the other events - if thats something the club is interested in pursuing.

I can't see Darryl cooperating with this. Nor would I expect him to. If anything we would have to hire him and his crew plus pay rent to use his equipment...not to mention assume some sort of liability for his constantly degrading surface that he's had so much trouble with this year. In my opinion we would be better off promoting our 3 disciplines that already "compete" at GMP rather than trying to hold an event on his turf.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2017 at 0:40 AM, Mat said:

I can't see Darryl cooperating with this. Nor would I expect him to. If anything we would have to hire him and his crew plus pay rent to use his equipment...not to mention assume some sort of liability for his constantly degrading surface that he's had so much trouble with this year. In my opinion we would be better off promoting our 3 disciplines that already "compete" at GMP rather than trying to hold an event on his turf.

I think cross promoting is a great idea. There may be some drag racers out there who are tired of going in a straight line and dont know it lol.

Daryl may not like to co-op but that does not mean that WSCC guys can't show up for a scheduled test and tune night and get a time slip. So this is what I am thinking: WSCC could hold a One lap of America style event that is spread out throughout the summer. The events would include all the 4 wheel motorsports offered in manitoba and competators would be able to choose 3 out of the 5 to earn points towards a "One lap of Manitoba" title. IE a road racer could choose one of their best Road races then try out an auto cross and a drag race, or an autocrosser could do a time attack and a drift event. (A RWD road racer may be able to try all 5) I think the class and points systems from autocross would work very well for all the timed events. some other system would have to somehow tie into it for the drifting as a judged event. We would have to pick a few dates of each of the disciplines to set as official events that go towards the title so that each dicipline knows there may be newbies in odd cars showing up. What better way to attract a few drag racers over to our side than to show up in a formula V B) obviously most non road racers would not be able to show up for a door to door race but I think its only fair to include the road races as everyone else would have a chance to earn points in their current discipline. and anyone planing on doing time attack would need a licence as well, so we would need to get this set up in the winter and have the word out before the hpde. We could even get the word to the drag community if this is going to be a thing and they could join. If the ice racers want to join in I would suggest something like an ice autocross. 

Archived