Project E-Mod MGB-GT

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soooo by friday after lunch We can see the update??????? :)

Yes, I would think there will be something posted in the afternoon but I will likely edit the video all together then it will take a while to upload to youtube. I am crossing my fingers for 275 hp-300 ft/lb at the wheels. I found a dyno sheet on a completely stock V12 and it was 250 hp-272 ft/lb when revved to only 5500 rpm. I have deleted the air pump, power steering pump, big alternator and auto transmission plus will rev to up to 7000 rpm so I think my chances are good. Jeff Kiesel paxed first in San Diego with only 270 hp to the wheels.

Hey Mark' date=' do you have a rough idea when it will be ready to head home? I could come out earlier to watch the excitement:)[/quote']My apoointment is for 9:00 am. we have to hook the car up, attach the wideband, get all the carbs syncronized then do some real pulls-no idea how long all of this will take.

Awesome progress. Can't wait to see footage.Is the towing company compensating you for the damages, as they are insured for this sort of thing. Id be after them for it. If they don't, please let us know who to avoid.

Awesome progress. Can't wait to see footage.Is the towing company compensating you for the damages' date=' as they are insured for this sort of thing. Id be after them for it. If they don't, please let us know who to avoid.[/quote']The towing company is saying they are paying for repairs so I will leave their name out of this unless they decide to make things difficult.

After all is fixed/compensated/whatever, you should post their name. I'm more likely to give money to someone that owned up and fixed a problem they caused.Anyone can offer low prices or convenience, you really find out how good a business is when something goes wrong.

Ok, finally got her on a dyno. My goals were 275 hp/300 ft/lb torque and I almost got them with 255 hp@5468 rpm and 300 ft/lb@4086 rpm. The first few pulls were to only 5000 rpm to solve a fuel pressure issue (stupid glass fuel filter was too restrictive) and then we moved on to timing. There wasn't enough timing in it so I had to re-index the distributor to get more advance and initially we were confused because power numbers were dropping drastically with each pull. Of course this throws off any useful data collection and we speculated that the liquid cooled (heated) intake manifold was causing the power drops because of heat soaking. We let the engine cool for 5 minutes and picked up 8hp and 30 ft/lbs torque so imagine if the intake charge could stay cool. Also, to get the intake air hot, Jaguar engineered two 90 degree bends that maximized the incoming air's exposure to the hot intake surface and these proved to be very restricitive. Power fell off above 5500 rpm so the only run where I went to 6000 rpm was the last one. I have already dropped off the intake manifolds to a fab shop and they are eliminating the liquid cooled part of the intake and the two 90 degree bends at the same time. I am also sending the cams to XKS Unlimited to be reground to their road race profile and that together with hp valve springs will raise the powerband to 7000 rpm. Listen to the video then imagine another 1500-2000 rpm-oh yeah!!

Here is a pic of the passenger side carbs. The air goes through the carb into the silver aluminum liquid cooled housing, makes a 90 degree straight up then another 90 degree turn to the right and into the intake and engine. I am eliminating the silver aluminum part, moving the carbs up and attaching directly to the black intake manifold:Posted Image

Hey Mark,So you are probably looking at over 310hp and torque with the cams and valve springs over 350? awesome. Where do you expect the torque to come in? What dif gears are you running?Very well done. You are going to smoke the track no matter what the design. Can you say "G suit" lol.

Hey Mark' date='So you are probably looking at over 310hp and torque with the cams and valve springs over 350? awesome. Where do you expect the torque to come in? What dif gears are you running?Very well done. You are going to smoke the track no matter what the design. Can you say "G suit" lol.[/quote']On my 911, I picked up 40 hp with some porting and cams and I hope to see similar gains on the V12. 300 hp and 335 ft/lb would make me smile.

• 2 weeks later...

what did you use to cut the slits? How accurate is your plasma cutter. i've never used one.

I started off with the plasma cutter but because I was cutting through layers of paint, it wasn't as precise as I wanted so I switched to a zip cutter (a die grinder with a small cutting wheel). Plasma cutters are amazing if the metal isn't too thick and is clean.

Anything new going on with the car?

The problem at this point in the build is that only little stuff is left. The little stuff takes just as long or longer to finish but it doesn't make for interesting pictures. But here is a list of some of the things I have been working on:-The lowest hole on the front lower suspension mounts were not going to be used so I chopped them off' date=' which gave me another 1.5" of ground clearance. These same mounts were also reinforced at the top with brackets because most of the forward force is pushed through these mounts.-I added two more struts to the rear spoiler to keep it rigid at speed (check out the dyno video to see how much it moved before I put the struts on)-The radiator came back from West End rad and I should have taken a picture because it looks amazing.-The air dam/lower rad mounts were what were hanging down and caused the damage to the radiator when unloading off the truck. I changed these points so that will never happen again, my newly fixed rad should be safe while loading/unloading now.-I added dzus fasteners to the fuel cell/suspension covers for quick access.-I bolted everything to the car and weighed it with me in the drivers seat, it was 200 lbs heavier than expected and this is a problem. I attached a picture of the scales. Ok, I can chop considerable weight off the car if I want to spend a bunch of money but these things will have to wait until next winter. Here is a list of weight that can be taken off:-Fiberglass fenders/hood/valances-200 lbs-Aluminum differential center section-25 lbs-Aluminum wheels-32 lbs total-Switch to GM LS engine-200 lbs-Smaller brakes-20 lbs total-Steel floor changed to aluminum (I will probably do this one this week)-15-20 lbs estimated-Lightening holes in frame-20 lbs (doing it this week)[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/loosecannon/MGB-GT/scales.jpg

I stripped the car in preparation for bodywork and painting and weighed the engine by itself-669 lbs!!! I attached a picture of the rad and you can see that West-End rad on Logan did a great job of fixing it and the Dr.Hook driver came by today with cash to pay for it.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Hi, I have tried with two cars now to get them under 2000 lbs. With driver this just doesn't happen. Once all the safety gear and a big engine is put in a "B" it just adds up unless you want to go Carbon ever thing. or you build it so weak it will break on you all the time. Don't sweat it, if you have the torque and the tires to stick, it will be fast :-)) just get it balanced. Brian 2 MGBGT V8sCanoe B.C.bolted everything to the car and weighed it with me in the drivers seat, it was 200 lbs heavier than expected and this is a problem. I attached a picture of the scales. Ok, I can chop considerable weight off the car if I want to spend a bunch of money but these things will have to wait until next winter. Here is a list of weight that can be taken off:-Fiberglass fenders/hood/valances-200 lbs-Aluminum differential center section-25 lbs-Aluminum wheels-32 lbs total-Switch to GM LS engine-200 lbs-Smaller brakes-20 lbs total-Steel floor changed to aluminum (I will probably do this one this week)-15-20 lbs estimated-Lightening holes in frame-20 lbs (doing it this week)GT/scales.jpg

To cheer you up; I'd bet the Elise guys would pay thousands of dollars to save 32 lbs! ;)

Well, when we were sharing the Solstice with A&M, Art left the 25lb hitch on the car and I couldn't figure out why I was suddenly 4/10's off drivers I used to be even with. Art took the hitch off and I was good again. The 25 lb hitch represented only .89% of the Solstice weight where the 32 lbs I got rid of represents 1.4% of the cars weight, so it might make a noticeable difference. I'm going to keep trying to lose more lbs, I think the grille is going to have to go.

Bodywork and paint started today. I am using glaze to smooth out the spots where I have welded trim holes, door handle holes and button holes shut. The car was hit in the hood and rear passenger side as well and I'm not going to add 10 lbs of bondo to make it look perfect. Some ripples are just going to have to be accepted.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Went in early again and did more bodywork. While waiting for glaze to cure, I counted how many lightening holes I have cut or drilled into the car-418 holes!! And every one of them has to be smoothed out with a die grinder. I ground an incredible amount of filler off the passenger rear fender, it was at least 1/4" thick from taillight to door and 3/4" thick in places. I also found a giant rusty area that had to be cut out and a new piece welded in. I also cut out both wheelwells because I had made them out of steel and I am going to re-make them out of aluminum to save a bunch of weight.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

It's good to be busy. I love watching the progress you are making. Keep it up.

The first event for me is a PCA event in 4 weeks, I have to get the car painted and re-assembled by then and that is a tall order. I am going in 7 days a week to get it done so there should be lots of updates.

Archived