maybe a stupid question....insurance?

at the gimli track, did MPI cover you if you crashed?i'm living in Cali now and I'm being told I can take my EVO to the track and not worry about insurance issues as long as it is a race school/track day and that I don't have a timing device in my vehicle.any info would be greatly appreciated.

Re: maybe a stupid question....insurance?shouldn't you already be worried about warranty issues and stuff like that, what with your car being a Mitsu.as i udnerstand it, anything that happens inside the gates of gimli or at an autox event are not covered by MPI. because it's considered off-road use.

Re: maybe a stupid question....insurance?Not exactly sure about DE's here for MPI. But I know in parts of the states they do cover DE (Driver Education) events. Not all insurance companies do however, you'll have to check with your insurer.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Re: maybe a stupid question....insurance?Quite a while ago, a new Porsche was bent against a guardrail, and covered by ICBC, during a DRIVER'S ED event there. This distinction of teaching versus timing is important. That is the reason that PCA, which runs dozens of DE events at most North American tracks, forbids any form of timing of laps.While you could limp or be towed back to the dealer after a mechanical DNF, it won't be long until all EFI computers have a little short-term memory for the warranty beancounters to use against owners.David

• 3 weeks later...

Re: maybe a stupid question....insurance?The last word that we had from MPI was that each case would be studied on its own. Generally I would expect that what we do in a school situation SHOULD be covered, but no guarantee. This is why we do not time the school sessions in any way shape or form.That said, if students do what they are told the chance of damage to your car or another car at a school at GMP is very unlikely.Dino.

Re: maybe a stupid question....insurance?Good answer Dino!We should all appreciate that Gimli is among the best tracks in North America as far as design safety is concerned. Of the dozens of popular tracks I have been to, only one other is as free of things to slide off into as Gimli. The only part of the track where you are actually pointed at a solid barrier is in turn 9, and the rail is so far away that it is still safe. In 20 years, the only cars we have had come apart or go out of control at that point have stopped well short of the barrier. There is adequate run-off all around Gimli. There are no hills, embankments or trees. Mosport may be scenic, but it is a car destroyer.If you cannot get to Gimli, and have to use another track, be careful. At most tracks, missing your braking point, or dropping a tire off the pavement can put you into a barrier, which will cost you.Gimli is a precious resource that more of us should appreciate and make use of.David

Archived