Ice race laps - which day would you like?

Guest corey_dyck

Guest corey_dyck

Peter Z. (ice race director) has just let me know that there will be an option to have full-track ice race laps during the lunch at one of the next two ice races.  This is much more track time than you'd get at autocross, and you get to go fast! Are people interested?  It's $10 for the day, unlimited laps during the 1 to 1.5 hour break.  If you marshal for the wheel-to-wheel races, it's free!  Don and I had a fantastic time last year, and the tracks are supposed to be even bigger this time around!  The next race is in St. Malo on January 25th.  (click 'zoom out')The following race is in St. Malo on February 22nd.  (click 'zoom out')Only one of these days will be for us, the other day will be for motorcycles.  We have first choice, what day works best for you?  EDIT: I made a mistake earlier. Both days are in St. Malo, not in St. Laurent as shown in the poll above.

Guest corey_dyck

Re: Ice race laps - which day would you like?I don't think we're going to be able to bring the helmets. Sorry! :(Can you borrow one from somebody?

Re: Ice race laps - which day would you like?I normally bring an extra helmet just in case I ever get the opportunity to take out a spectator as a passenger after the racing is done. I'd be happy to lend you one over the lunch hour if you need. I believe there are a few other racers with spare helmets. Come on down into the pit area and I'm sure we can help you out. Cheers!

Re: Ice race laps - which day would you like?I'm considering coming out to spectate.  What is the spectator situation like out there?  I love the pond off Dugald cause you can park up on the hill and see the whole track.  Is the spectator parking situation similiar out at St Malo?  

Re: Ice race laps - which day would you like?The St. Malo track will be plowed allowing a generous area for spectators. The spectator area will likely lead into the pits and from there lead out to the track for safety reasons. All spectators are welcome down in the pit area provided they sign the insurance waiver. The pit area will provide the best view of the racing action but the spectator area will still be a great place to watch from. The track will be a fair bit longer and as such there will be a greater assortment of turns and straight sections. The spectator area is situated slightly above the track surface which should provide a good view of the track. The widest section of the track (best overtaking area) will be situated in a straight line of view from the spectator area.

Guest corey_dyck

Re: Ice race laps - which day would you like?It looks like the public has spoken! The ice laps will be held on this coming Sunday, January 25th, at St. Malo.

Anyone got a link to a location map?

Yup!

The next race is in St. Malo on January 25th.

You have to zoom out to see where exactly that is in relation to Winnipeg. The instructions I have are:Head South on Lagimodiere (#59). About 50 km South of the Perimeter' date=' there is a sign stating to turn right to go to St. Malo. At that sign, turn [b']LEFT to go to the provincial park. You literally run into the racetrack at the end of that road. Peter, can you add anything else? Is that left turn onto Rue Benoit as shown on the map above? (you have to zoom in to see the street names)

Re: Ice race laps - which day would you like?Sorry I've never kept track of the street signs while going out to the track. I was probably too excited about racing to notice the smaller signs .....But your directions to the track are excellent. You will see a sign on Hwy 59 which states that St. Malo Provincial Park is to your left and the town of St. Malo is to your right. Head left straight into the Park (where the road splits - stay to your right) and you will run right into the spectator area and pits.

Archived