Speedworld League 2014-15

Let this be the the official WSCC Speedworld karting league thread for the 2014-2015 winter season. I'll post all important info here in the first post so it's easy to find.

Dates: Every second Tuesday, starting November 11, 2014. Calendar Link.

Time: 7:00 pm

League Scoring

League (8):
Corey
Bob
Beau
Chris B
Art
Marion
Taylor
Mohamed

Spares (5):
Brian T
Jeff
Jim
Ian
Sam

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scoring will be done pretty much the same as last year, as it seemed to work really well.

Edit: Sorry I got it wrong the first time. Thanks for the correction, Art!

Qualifying:

Points based on best lap time: 5,4,3,2,1

Race A:

Starting positions are the reverse of accumulated season points prior to race day. The person with least amount of points will start in first position. Tiebreaker goes to the fastest qualifier.

Points based on finishing position: 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

Bonus point for fastest lap

Race B:

Starting positions are the reverse of Race A finishing position. If you finish last in Race A, you start at the front in Race B.

Points based on finishing position: 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

Bonus point for fastest lap

It's okay Mark. You had some good staff tonight. The one guy was able to rearrange the karts to keep things fair and addressed an issue someone had with one of the karts. The girl at the counter rearranged the order for us with our custom arrangements. Overall things ran smoothly and quickly.

I like the new track arrangement. Really fun! I hope everyone enjoyed the first night. I certainly did.

I updated the scoring details in the above post. I should get the spreadsheet up by the weekend.

Congratulations to Marion who set a new customer track record!

20141111_201128.jpg

Well yesterday was fun!

Links to the results:

Qualifying

Race 1

Race 2

I got footage of Qualifying and Race 2. Forgot to turn on the GoPro for Race 1 (wasn't that interesting from my view anyway  :D).

Qualifying:

Race 2 (skip to 5 mins in for the race):

Side note: At the end of the season, are all the points cumulative or is it going to be a best X number of events arrangement? I'm not sure how you guys did it in the past, but I think counting the best maybe 5 or 6 events would be a good option (we're doing a total of 10 events?).

Thanks for the links Mohamed. There was a problem with Race 2 scoring for me, so I'll need to know if anyone else had a problem as well. I know Marion had an issue with her kart, did she finish between Taylor and Chris?

Yes we'll allow for a couple dropped events so you don't have to make it out to all of them. Not sure how many - maybe 3 or 4? I think there are 13 total events between yesterday and end of April. We might cancel one around the holidays and I'm not sure if we'll go right to the end of April. What does everyone else want to do here?

Hey Beau, do you guys still have room for another spare?

Sam, we can have a million spares, but that doesn't do anybody any good. ;) Just join the league and you'll be (gently) peer pressured to show up each week. We can have up to 10 drivers at any event and there are only 8 "regulars" right now. Just be sure to check in ahead of the event - on this thread - and let us all know if you're coming.

Thanks for the links Mohamed. There was a problem with Race 2 scoring for me, so I'll need to know if anyone else had a problem as well. I know Marion had an issue with her kart, did she finish between Taylor and Chris?

I passed Marion on the penultimate lap. But it seemed from my view that she let off or maybe that's where the issue with her kart started? If that is indeed where the issue started, then she should be ahead of me in position which is 3rd.

Qualifying:

Race 2 (skip to 5 mins in for the race):

very interesting.  despite the times being similar (mine were consistently slightly behind on this event...), you have a very different driving approach from my own.  it looks like you're a lot more inertial with your driving, whereas i'm more of a dragster-style launching out of corners.  i'll have to experiment next event...

thanks!

despite the times being similar (mine were consistently slightly behind on this event...), you have a very different driving approach from my own.  it looks like you're a lot more inertial with your driving, whereas i'm more of a dragster-style launching out of corners.  i'll have to experiment next event...

thanks!

One thing to note in Race 2 my kart was noticeably low on power compared to the other ones I drove earlier. I noticed this especially coming out of the last hairpin. Usually I gain distance on most drivers in the "straight" due to my weight advantage but in Race 2 I was consistently losing distance in the there. I guess I managed make it up in the corners though. Maybe this car was balanced with having more grip and less power.

Hey Beau, do you guys still have room for another spare?

Sam, we can have a million spares, but that doesn't do anybody any good. ;) Just join the league and you'll be (gently) peer pressured to show up each week. We can have up to 10 drivers at any event and there are only 8 "regulars" right now. Just be sure to check in ahead of the event - on this thread - and let us all know if you're coming.

Id like to join the league, a little hesitant though since I have tuesday evening classes until mid-december. I most likely wouldn't be able to attend the next two events but after that I can make it. If thats alright with you guys then I'd forsure sign up for being a regular. Does that work?

I updated the first post with the league scoring. Let me know if there are any problems with the link or the scoring.

I had to edit my score in the second race, as I actually finished in 4th, just behind Mohamed. Not sure what happened, but the computer seems to have missed counting a lap on my kart (as can be seen in the third lap time).

Let me know if there are any other problems.

despite the times being similar (mine were consistently slightly behind on this event...), you have a very different driving approach from my own.  it looks like you're a lot more inertial with your driving, whereas i'm more of a dragster-style launching out of corners.  i'll have to experiment next event...

thanks!

One thing to note in Race 2 my kart was noticeably low on power compared to the other ones I drove earlier. I noticed this especially coming out of the last hairpin. Usually I gain distance on most drivers in the "straight" due to my weight advantage but in Race 2 I was consistently losing distance in the there. I guess I managed make it up in the corners though. Maybe this car was balanced with having more grip and less power.

It is impossible to make the karts all exactly the same. Each kart has led a different life, been crashed different ways, worn out it's tires at different rates and is at a different point in the life of it's engine. We have one driver take each one out, do 5 or 6 laps then we adjust the power up or down to equalize the lap times, then we drive them again to be sure. But that only accounts for a driver of that particular weight driving in those particular track conditions. A kart that has superb handling (kart #10 or #5, for example) will have it's power pulled back a little so that it doesn't dominate poorer handling karts like #4 or #2. All 4 karts will have nearly identical lap times in the hands of one driver but how they arrive at those laps are completely different. Learn to adjust to the kart because no kart will ever adjust to you.

It is impossible to make the karts all exactly the same. Each kart has led a different life, been crashed different ways, worn out it's tires at different rates and is at a different point in the life of it's engine. We have one driver take each one out, do 5 or 6 laps then we adjust the power up or down to equalize the lap times, then we drive them again to be sure. But that only accounts for a driver of that particular weight driving in those particular track conditions. A kart that has superb handling (kart #10 or #5, for example) will have it's power pulled back a little so that it doesn't dominate poorer handling karts like #4 or #2. All 4 karts will have nearly identical lap times in the hands of one driver but how they arrive at those laps are completely different. Learn to adjust to the kart because no kart will ever adjust to you.

And that's part of the fun and challenge that I enjoy at Speedworld.

For example, if you look at my video of Race 2 at around 7 mins in, I make a pass on the outside coming out of the hairpin. I think usually I'd be able to make that pass stick even though I'm taking the outside line. But since I was a bit lower on power than usual I couldn't really make it stick. I reattempt the second time around by positioning myself so I take the inside line coming out of the hairpin and voila.

This kind of stuff is what I come to Speedworld for. Rewarding wheel-to-wheel racing.  :)

Archived