Car Classing Guide + Help Thread

14 hours ago, Magner said:

All the mods except the cat converter appear to be legal for ST. As stated above if your catalytic converter is located mote then 6" further along the exhaust than stock it will not be legal for ST. If the cat is within 6" it's legal for STH. 

Those tires are also not legal for use in ST. The minimum tire in street and ST is 200 UTQG. If you use these tires the car would be classed is ASP-R under the mixed group. The ASP-S class is grouped under the modified group and is meant to allow ASP cars to run on 200 UTQG tires. 

I see a Legacy 2.5 GT is listed under ESP. I assume this is the NA version, since your car is the turbo version it would fall under ASP. 

Thanks Magner! 

I checked the cats and my current pipe has the same position as one of the old ones (original pipe had two). So as long as I run 200+ UTQG I'll stay in STH. 

Just noticed the lists of makes/models in the pdf, somehow I've been missing that this whole time. I checked and the Legacy 2.5 GT listed under ESP is 2005-12 so it is the turbo model since all GTs in that generation were turbocharged. So if I go with tire rated below 200 UTQG I'll be ESP and run with the modified group. 

Thankfully I think I'm finishing up with mods on this car so shouldn't need to worry about this anymore. At least until the new project starts looking ready to hit autocross haha. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris,

I'm getting ready to sell the R32 and move into a more all-around more useful car this year. I am looking at a Mercedes B250 or pre-2016 BMW X1. Both these cars are just at or over the 1:1 height to track ratio, but with proper selection of tires and 6 mm wheel spacers, they will meet the tallness requirement for stock class. First question is how do I prove that for you?

Second question is the classing of these two cars, as neither are listed in the SCCA Solo Rules. The Mercedes is to be expected, since it was never sold in the US, but the BMW surprises me as it fundamentally a tall wagon. Regardless, from my read, they would both be in DS, as the Mercedes shares its platform with the CLA and GLA, which are listed, and the BMW has the running gear and engine of the 328i, which also is listed. So, second question is: Am I correct in my classing interpretation?

Allan

• 1 month later...

I was trying to register for event 1 with my back up vehicle 1990 Chevrolet 454SS it’s got modified suspension, full exhaust, a cam, intake manifold and EFI system in it ended up picking esp on street tires but I think it should be classed in Cam-T system wouldn’t let me pick CAM though. 

@rjames

The correct class would be CAM-T under the WSCC mixed devision. I checked and the classes are available in MSR for registrationat the very bottom of the list. Use CAMT "traditional" since it looks like the other CAMT is a typo for CAMC contemporary.

Since this is a C1500 1/2 truck just a reminder it must be wider than it is tall. (The width must be measured with the track width)

Also, Internal engine modifications like a cam are not allowed under Street Prepared rules. 

Edited by Magner

I'll verify the exact measurements but i'm confident it is wider then it is tall, it's lowered 4" front and 6" rear. 

I assumed it would fall under CAM-T which allows all the mods the truck has done, for some reason Motorsports reg wouldn't let me complete registration with that PAX. I'll email Helix to have a look and adjust it. 

Thanks @Magner

Hey I have a 2000 Miata that is Supercharged, with aftermaket exhaust, springs and struts, wheels and 200 treadwear tires. If I could get some guidance on how to class this that would be great, thanks!

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Hey I have a 2000 Miata that is Supercharged, with aftermaket exhaust, springs and struts, wheels and 200 treadwear tires. If I could get some guidance on how to class this that would be great, thanks!

The supercharger would make the the car go to SSM on street tires SSM-S.

• 1 month later...

Hi Magner, 

I've added a second car to the collection and since we can't run for a while I figure it's a good time to get this figured out. 

I've got a 1990 Volvo 240 DL (naturally aspirated)

It's about 114 crank hp, around 2900 lbs, RWD

Modifications:

Lowering springs

Bilstein Shocks

Front + Rear Sway Bar

200 Treadwear tires

From what I can tell that puts me into Street Touring Sport with mods. The "light/older RWD, emphasis on momentum and handling over power" in the rule book seems to fit

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello

I went for my first 2 events this year. Had so much fun but I am realizing there is a lot to learn. I've been reading up on the classes and rules but wanted to get some wisdom from @Magner and other guys 

For the first event in August I took my car 2011 Infiniti M37x. Its bone stock base model with 18" aftermarket rims (factory sized), tires are all season Goodyear Eagle sport 245/45R18 (also factory sized). Obviously my car was not really made for this so its not in the lists that I have seen. Closest one I could find is G37, which it shares most of the drivetrain with (even though G37 is probably better handling, lighter and faster one). Is it correct to place my car in FS class?

This Sunday I went with my brother and we took his 2009 VW Rabbit base model with the 2.5 engine. He's got couple of mods done to it. Ones affecting performance would be Magnaflow catback exhaust, eibach lowering springs (1" I believe) and some cheap Xarrow Farroad tires with 180 rating. Would his car be in STH or STS class?

Thank you

On 9/13/2021 at 11:23 AM, egorlike said:

Hello

I went for my first 2 events this year. Had so much fun but I am realizing there is a lot to learn. I've been reading up on the classes and rules but wanted to get some wisdom from @Magner and other guys 

For the first event in August I took my car 2011 Infiniti M37x. Its bone stock base model with 18" aftermarket rims (factory sized), tires are all season Goodyear Eagle sport 245/45R18 (also factory sized). Obviously my car was not really made for this so its not in the lists that I have seen. Closest one I could find is G37, which it shares most of the drivetrain with (even though G37 is probably better handling, lighter and faster one). Is it correct to place my car in FS class?

This Sunday I went with my brother and we took his 2009 VW Rabbit base model with the 2.5 engine. He's got couple of mods done to it. Ones affecting performance would be Magnaflow catback exhaust, eibach lowering springs (1" I believe) and some cheap Xarrow Farroad tires with 180 rating. Would his car be in STH or STS class?

Thank you

Hello, 

The correct class for the M37x would be SS or Super street. F Street has a catch-all clause but it's for v8 sedans, not v6 so I don't  think it applies. 

The correct class for the Rabbit would FSP due to the tires. Since the tires are 180 TW they are not considered street tires. Only tires with a rating of 200 TW or more can be considered street tires. If the tires were changed the car would be legal for STS. Hope that helps!

On 9/15/2021 at 7:56 PM, Magner said:

The correct class for the M37x would be SS or Super street. F Street has a catch-all clause but it's for v8 sedans, not v6 so I don't  think it applies. 

Thank you for the information, but I am confused why would M37 be in SS class. I am looking at the list and its all supercars in there like McLaren, Porsche 911 and similar.

This is a heavy sedan that doesn't handle particularly well. Is it because its not in any lists it goes to the fastest class?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2021 at 8:11 AM, egorlike said:

Thank you for the information, but I am confused why would M37 be in SS class. I am looking at the list and its all supercars in there like McLaren, Porsche 911 and similar.

This is a heavy sedan that doesn't handle particularly well. Is it because its not in any lists it goes to the fastest class?

You got it.
All un-classed cars automatically end up in SS unless/until classing occurs. This is done by emailing the scca board to request the car be classed. The board then looks at the car and it’s performance data and decides where to place it. 

• 7 months later...

Trying to class my 2019 Mustang for autocross this year. The mods I've done should put me in CAM-C (1" wider wheels, spacers, wing, camber bolts) but it doesn't come up as an option when I try and register for June 4th. All that shows in the CAM class is CAM-T and CAM-S. Should I class as something else? If so, what? 

Hmm just answering my own question here but it looks like there is a typo in the classing list. It lists 2 CAMT classes but one says (Contemporary) and the other (Traditional). Guess I'll go with the Contemporary.

On 5/23/2022 at 4:46 PM, Rob said:

Hmm just answering my own question here but it looks like there is a typo in the classing list. It lists 2 CAMT classes but one says (Contemporary) and the other (Traditional). Guess I'll go with the Contemporary.

Thanks for spotting the typo, it is now corrected.

I'm still having problems registering in CAM-C

I select Mixed for class and CAM-C for Pax and it gives me the following error when I try and register:

Please select a Street Touring, Street Prepared, Street Modified, Prepared, or Modified class from the PAX list (e.g. STR, ASP, SMF, EM, etc.)

any ideas?

Need some help with Classification!

I intent to bring my Time Attack RX-8 to some Auto Slalom events this year; however, I don't have a good idea in what class it runs.

Here are the specs:

- stock engine, A/C compressor and air pump removed

- stock transmission and differential

- stock exhaust, with gutted cat

- completely stock and original 2004 suspension

- interior significantly gutted (nothing left behind front seat, some stuff removed from dash, can come with or without passenger seat)

- have available a set of TW 300, a set of TW 200 and a set of TW 120 tires, all wider than stock

- no body modifications i.e. no spoilers, diffusers, splitters or wider fenders

If anybody can tell me where this car fits into the Auto Slalom classification, I would be thankful.

The interior gutting would automatically put you in the prepared category. The RX-8 fits into the F class of prepared. 

Your class would be FPS under the modified group if using the 200 or 300tw tires, hower the 120tw tires would class you in the mixed group under FP. 

Edited by Magner
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about street class and wheel diameter. I know you can go up or down 1” in diameter from stock and stay in street class, but does trim level matter? For instance my RX8 is the R3 trim level which has 19” wheels, but all other RX8 trim levels have 18” wheels. In the SCCA solo rules they make no distinction between years or trim levels of RX8, so could I run 17” diameter wheels and still stay in street? 

@Scott

The +1 -1 rule is based on the car's original wheel package size. In your example you could go 18 19 or 20in in diameter (width must always be the same in street). 

In order to use a 17" wheel legally  based on the SCCA Street rules you would be need to replace any and all R3 trim spefic pieces with a trim that has the 17" wheel. This rule is in place to prevent people making Frankenstein cars that never existed from the factory. 

That being said locally, I really don't think there's much of an issue or a huge performance difference between rx8 models to warrant you not using 17's especially considering the cost difference in tires between those sizes! 

As long as the 17 wheels are the correct stock width and +/- 8mm in offset I would say ask fellow street competitors if they are ok with and try pursuing it. 

Edited by Magner

Hello, I need help determining my classification for autocross events.

I have a 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Base

Everything is stock except the following:

- K&N pod filter air intake

- Resonated secondary cat delete test pipe

- Flashed ECU with canned tune +40-60whp

- NGK 2309 one step colder plugs

- Megan Racing transmission mount

- Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 stock size tires

Happy to provide more info if needed, thanks!

On 6/19/2022 at 8:02 PM, jpfrank said:

Hello, I need help determining my classification for autocross events.

I have a 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Base

Everything is stock except the following:

- K&N pod filter air intake

- Resonated secondary cat delete test pipe

- Flashed ECU with canned tune +40-60whp

- NGK 2309 one step colder plugs

- Megan Racing transmission mount

- Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 stock size tires

Happy to provide more info if needed, thanks!

All the mods would be legal for the Street Touring group. The Genesis fits into STU specifically. 

This assumes you still have 1 catalytic converter in the car, the rules allow the removal of one if 2 were originally present. 

I'm installing a roll center correction kit to my Legacy GT. The kit replaces the ball joints and outer tie rod end and is designed to bring the suspension back to OEM spec on a lowered car. I've been digging in the rules but don't see anything regarding replacing those specific components.

Currently the car is classed Street Touring Hatch and has the following mods

• Coilovers
  • Catless uppipe
  • Catted downpipe
  • Bypass valve
  • Short throw shifter
  • ECU Tune
  • Roll center correction kit
  • 200 UTQG tires 

Edit - I think I figured it out as Street Modified (SM) though noticed according to our local signup it might be Street Modified on street tires? 

Edited by BradlyW

On 6/23/2022 at 10:47 PM, BradlyW said:

I'm installing a roll center correction kit to my Legacy GT. The kit replaces the ball joints and outer tie rod end and is designed to bring the suspension back to OEM spec on a lowered car. I've been digging in the rules but don't see anything regarding replacing those specific components.

Currently the car is classed Street Touring Hatch and has the following mods

• Coilovers
  • Catless uppipe
  • Catted downpipe
  • Bypass valve
  • Short throw shifter
  • ECU Tune
  • Roll center correction kit
  • 200 UTQG tires 

Edit - I think I figured it out as Street Modified (SM) though noticed according to our local signup it might be Street Modified on street tires? 

This roll centre kit would push you from STH to SMS (Street Modified on Street tires)