Car Classing Guide + Help Thread

On 6/13/2018 at 9:18 PM, MRS Joe said:

All jdm automatically goes to Street Modified. 

You will be in SM-S

With your modifications you’d end up there anyway in a nadm car

Thank you Joe! appreciate the reply!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Steeda24 said:

Hi, I’m running a 2018 Kia stinger gt. All stock. Just wondering what class in street it falls under. 

Hi, I just reviewed the current 2018 Rulebook and all addendums since its release. At this time I do no see any classing for the new Kia Stinger. The official class at this time is Super Street (SS) under the "catch-all" however I expect this to be officially classed somewhere else when reviewed.

I'll keep an eye out and report back if I see a listing.

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

I apologize in advance for my noob level here but as I have just registered for my first event ever, I'm hoping someone can confirm that I have elected to enter my vehicle into the appropriate class. I have chosen STX as I believe it is the correct class for my 2017 Toyota 86 with its current modifications. These modifications include:

- Enkei RPF1 Wheels (17x9 +35)

- Bridgestone RE-71R Tires (245/40R17)

- TRD Lowering Springs

- SPC Camber Bolts (front)

- TRD Catback Exhaust

- Berk Front Pipe w/HFC (catalytic converter is in the same position as the OEM frontpipe)

- Mtech Shifter Return Springs

Please advise on the classification I have chosen.

Thanks,

Louis

• 8 months later...
On 4/26/2019 at 3:35 PM, rjames said:

2003 350Z with a Carbon fiber hood would bump me into Street Modified I believe? would it fall into SM or SSM?

The progression from least to most modified for a 350z would be C-Street, STU, BSP, SSM.

The 350Z would run in SSM due to the carbon fiber hood. As only Street Modified allows for hood replacement or modifications.

Quick rule:

SSM = 2 seat cars

SM = 4 or more seats car (from the factory)

First page has been updated with new links and info.

2019 PAX factors: https://www.autox4u.com/blog/2019-pax-rtp-index/

A reminder there's been some classing changes for 2019. BS, CS and DS appears to have the taken the most changes over last year.

Notable changes

S2000 (non CR) is now in C Street

Focus RS is now in D Street! ( @Weebly  all aboard the pax gravy train)

As always, any questions or clarifications please ask!

Edited by Magner
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Magner said:

First page has been updated with new links and info.

2019 PAX factors: https://www.autox4u.com/blog/2019-pax-rtp-index/

A reminder there's been some classing changes for 2019. BS, CS and DS appears to have the taken the most changes over last year.

Notable changes

S2000 (non CR) is now in C Street

Focus RS is now in D Street! ( @Weebly  all aboard the pax gravy train)

As always, any questions or clarifications please ask!

Too good to be true, but I need all the help I can get.  

I noticed Roberto signed up with a 2018 Focus RS in B Street.  That's what you get for running a front LSD.

Thanks @Magner for all the effort you put in over the years helping people class their cars. We'll see you on Saturday!

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy,

I've changed the OE wheels and tires on my 2015 VW Golf 1.8t - everything else stock.

Original wheels and tires: 6Jx15 ET43, 195/65R15

New wheels and tires: 7JX17 ET54, 225/45R17, 500 treadwear

I believe this would put me in STH according to 2019 rules but STH is not available on motorsportreg when registering.

I looked at the 2017 rules and the 1.8t Golf was in STS. Should I choose STS in motorsportreg?

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by Matt N

On 5/28/2019 at 9:34 PM, Matt N said:

Howdy,

I've changed the OE wheels and tires on my 2015 VW Golf 1.8t - everything else stock.

Original wheels and tires: 6Jx15 ET43, 195/65R15

New wheels and tires: 7JX17 ET54, 225/45R17, 500 treadwear

I believe this would put me in STH according to 2019 rules but STH is not available on motorsportreg when registering.

I looked at the 2017 rules and the 1.8t Golf was in STS. Should I choose STS in motorsportreg?

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

You are correct, your car is classed in STH based on the latest 2019 rules. Unfortunately we missed adding STH as an option in MotorsportReg.

I would suggest signing up with STS for now, hopefully we are able to manually assign you STH in person at the event.

Hopefully we will have this fixed by the next event, thanks for asking!

Edited by Magner
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hey all,

I'm hoping to be able to attend my first autoslalom event June 13/14, I've applied for Wscc membership on motorsportreg, got the wiaver and supp regs so I think I'm just about good to go but I had questions about classing my car and helmet requirements. I have a 2019 base Mustang ecoboost. From what I've read that would put me in Street DS? The only thing I've modified on it is adding a Ford performance strut tower brace with cowl brace. Does this change the class I enter my car in?

Regarding the helmet, I gather it's better to buy a SA2015 helmet over a Snell M2020 but price may have to decide for me as from what I've seen the SA helmets are more expensive. Does anyone have any recommendations where to go locally for a helmet? 

I've been looking at this https://perryautolaval.com/collections/helmets/products/zamp-fs-9-helmet?variant=30931510984844 my budget is around $200.

Or if someone has a helmet for sale? I believe I'm an XL.

Thanks!

Hi Rob

For local sources try Speed factor on Pembina, or Classic Motor Works just North of the Perimeter off Main St. Both are sponsors for our club .If they don't have something in stock, they can usually get it quite quickly for you. I can't give you any pricing, but both are known to be reasonable and tend to really support club members.

16 hours ago, Rob said:

Hey all,

I'm hoping to be able to attend my first autoslalom event June 13/14, I've applied for Wscc membership on motorsportreg, got the wiaver and supp regs so I think I'm just about good to go but I had questions about classing my car and helmet requirements. I have a 2019 base Mustang ecoboost. From what I've read that would put me in Street DS? The only thing I've modified on it is adding a Ford performance strut tower brace with cowl brace. Does this change the class I enter my car in?

Regarding the helmet, I gather it's better to buy a SA2015 helmet over a Snell M2020 but price may have to decide for me as from what I've seen the SA helmets are more expensive. Does anyone have any recommendations where to go locally for a helmet? 

I've been looking at this https://perryautolaval.com/collections/helmets/products/zamp-fs-9-helmet?variant=30931510984844 my budget is around $200.

Or if someone has a helmet for sale? I believe I'm an XL.

Thanks!

Hi Rob,

The strut tower bar rules are a little confusing. It depends on what the car had stock. Did the car come with a strut tower brace from the factory? if yes, did it connect the struts together or did it also connect to the firewall?

If you the car came with strut tower bar from the factory with a 3 attachment points it would be legal for STU. If the car came with a 2 point bar or did not come with any strut tower bar I could recommend signing up in CAM-C class as it is not legal to a triangulated strut bar in STU.

Hi everyone,

I just finished my first event and want to figure out how some upcoming mods are going to affect my class/PAX. I have a 2005 Legacy GT, currently just has an ECU tune. I'm going to be putting coilovers on the car very soon. I believe at this point I would be in Street Touring? Would I be in Street Touring Xtreme or Hatchback (hatchback says for turbo hatchbacks and sedans)?

I'm also considering replacing my uppipe and downpipe with catless pipes but want to make sure that's allowed and if so what class it puts me in. 

Thanks,

3 hours ago, BradlyW said:

Hi everyone,

I just finished my first event and want to figure out how some upcoming mods are going to affect my class/PAX. I have a 2005 Legacy GT, currently just has an ECU tune. I'm going to be putting coilovers on the car very soon. I believe at this point I would be in Street Touring? Would I be in Street Touring Xtreme or Hatchback (hatchback says for turbo hatchbacks and sedans)?

I'm also considering replacing my uppipe and downpipe with catless pipes but want to make sure that's allowed and if so what class it puts me in. 

Thanks,

Hey Bradly! Saw you out there this weekend! Hope you had a good time!

Based on your current ECU mod you are in STH, (All Legacy GT 05-08 in ST trim are in STH not STX, which is an advantage!)

The coilovers are also legal for STH, I believe the uppipe is legal however the downpipe is not without the cat. You could replace the downpipe in ST but it must still have a cat and be within  6 inches of the original cat location. Hope that helps.

10 hours ago, Magner said:

Hi Rob,

The strut tower bar rules are a little confusing. It depends on what the car had stock. Did the car come with a strut tower brace from the factory? if yes, did it connect the struts together or did it also connect to the firewall?

If you the car came with strut tower bar from the factory with a 3 attachment points it would be legal for STU. If the car came with a 2 point bar or did not come with any strut tower bar I could recommend signing up in CAM-C class as it is not legal to a triangulated strut bar in STU.

My car didn't come with any kind of strut tower brace from the factory and the aftermarket part I put on is a triangulated strut bar, it connects to the firewall and across the struts so I'll be signing up in CAM-C, thanks for the help!

On 5/31/2020 at 10:13 PM, donrolandofurioso said:

Hi Rob

For local sources try Speed factor on Pembina, or Classic Motor Works just North of the Perimeter off Main St. Both are sponsors for our club .If they don't have something in stock, they can usually get it quite quickly for you. I can't give you any pricing, but both are known to be reasonable and tend to really support club members.

Thanks for the tips don, I'll be checking those out and tips on used helmets also this week.

On 5/31/2020 at 8:13 PM, Rob said:

Regarding the helmet, I gather it's better to buy a SA2015 helmet over a Snell M2020 but price may have to decide for me as from what I've seen the SA helmets are more expensive.

One minor clarification: the major difference between an M (Motorcycle) and an SA (Special Application) helmet is a fire-resistant liner in the SA. SA helmets are required for road/ice racing. Along with a fire suit, HANS, etc. 

There is a larger eyeport requirement in the M. There's talk of a multiple-rollbar impact test in the SA, but I can't see any difference in the actual SNELL documents. This makes sense as a motorbike crash is rather unpredictable as well! 

If you do not plan on road/ice racing in the next 5 years, you can save money by getting an M helmet that's newer and will last longer before it ages out. If road/ice race is in your near future, get the SA now! 

Once the new standard comes out (2020 will probably be available later this year), then the M2010 helmets will be aged out and need to be replaced by 2021. So an M2015 will be good for another 6 years or so, M2020 for another 11. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Magner said:

Hey Bradly! Saw you out there this weekend! Hope you had a good time!

Based on your current ECU mod you are in STH, (All Legacy GT 05-08 in ST trim are in STH not STX, which is an advantage!)

The coilovers are also legal for STH, I believe the uppipe is legal however the downpipe is not without the cat. You could replace the downpipe in ST but it must still have a cat and be within  6 inches of the original cat location. Hope that helps.

Thanks! That helps a lot. So is going catless not allowed in any class? 

4 hours ago, BradlyW said:

Thanks! That helps a lot. So is going catless not allowed in any class? 

To clarify the cat would be required in ST class however it is allowed in Street Prepared so with a catless downpipe the car would be in ESP.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2020 at 12:55 PM, Magner said:

Hi Rob,

Well after looking at the pax this past weekend and realizing I could have finished 5th instead of 10th in novice the strut brace is coming off! Anyone interested in buying a ford performance triangulated strut tower brace for a 2015-2019 Mustang? lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I have a general car classing question. 

In the past, different classes had a varying number of modification points allowed, with each modification "costing" a specific number of points.  Looking through the 2021 SCCA Solo Rule Book, that no longer seems to be the case, unless I missed a section.  Am I correct in my understanding that I can now make ALL of the authorized modifications in a specific class?  I'm no longer having to decide where to spend my points?

Thanks!

SCCA solo classing doesn't use a points based approach for classing. I believe a points based system is used by NASA and was adopted by WSCC road racing classing a few years ago.

For solo/autox rules you can do as many or all of the allowed modifications in the class as you want. 

On 6/2/2020 at 12:55 PM, Magner said:

To clarify the cat would be required in ST class however it is allowed in Street Prepared so with a catless downpipe the car would be in ESP.

So winter is seeing some changes to my Legacy. I ended up going with the catless downpipe. But talking to my tuner and now I'm also changing the intake tube, and boost control solenoid. Does this push me into A Street Prepared? I'm not sure what the boost control solenoid is categorized in. It's a performance mod but I'm mainly getting it because my tuner says it allows a better tune.  

I'm also talking to a buddy who has a set of 100 UTQG tires for my car. From what I can see that's not allowed in a lot of the categories. 

Full mod list:

• Coilovers
  • Catless uppipe
  • Catted downpipe
  • Bypass valve
  • Boost control solenoid
  • Intake tube
  • Short throw shifter
  • Tune

All the mods except the cat converter appear to be legal for ST. As stated above if your catalytic converter is located mote then 6" further along the exhaust than stock it will not be legal for ST. If the cat is within 6" it's legal for STH. 

Those tires are also not legal for use in ST. The minimum tire in street and ST is 200 UTQG. If you use these tires the car would be classed is ASP-R under the mixed group. The ASP-S class is grouped under the modified group and is meant to allow ASP cars to run on 200 UTQG tires. 

I see a Legacy 2.5 GT is listed under ESP. I assume this is the NA version, since your car is the turbo version it would fall under ASP.