Car Classing Guide + Help Thread

On June 8, 2016 at 7:50 PM, Nhil said:

Hey Zac,

Do you have a picture of the item in question?

Generally speaking we are okay with minor lips, skirts and spoilers. Items that would be considered aesthetic only. If you're thinking of a large front splitter or large wing that will generate actual downforce, then you would be classed appropriately.

I was just about to ask a similar question. I am pulling my Mach1 from racing this season because it is for sale. I will be racing my 2004 Impreza 2.5ts wagon (base model non turbo and slow as ever). It is stock with the exception of the fart cannon muffler on the back and hail damage and some rust:). I am classing it in GS-S I read in street class you can change the muffler out. I read in 13.2A in the 2016 solo rules aesthetic body panels can be changed. My car is quite boring to look at and I love the look of STI.  I am considering adding the factory rear spoiler for the wagon on the back. Also I want to mount the STI hood scoop, fog light covers and oem STI front side splitters. Can I still run in Street class with those parts?

37 minutes ago, Magner said:

I have been noticing a few incorrectly classed cars this year. Particularly Street Class, which has gone through a lot of changes in the last few years, 

Here's a few example:

Honda Civics (including 06-16 Si) in Street Class are now classed as HS (H-Street). They used to be classed as G-Street a few years ago. (Acura EL would also be in HS not GS)

BMW M3, (All E36 & E46) in Street Prepared are classed as BSP not ASP. All non M3 3 series (E36&E46) in Street prepared would be in DSP.

Acura Integra (All except Type R) classed in Street are in HS not GS.

C5 Corvettes (97-04 non Z06) in Street are classed as BS not AS. Only the 01-04 Z06 model is classed in AS

In order to qualify for STF the car must be listed on page 179.  STF unlike STS or STX does not have have a "catch all" clause to allow cars not listed in the class.  Example a 2001 Maxima (3.0L v6) would be classed as STS due the STS catch all clause: "Sedans & Coupes NOC (non-sports-car-based; 4-seat minimum; up to 3.1L normally-aspirated)".

Yup, this is going to happen...... Not to even mention a "your car is modified so it doesn't qualify as Street, A or G or H class" discussion.

12 hours ago, white_cross said:

I was just about to ask a similar question. I am pulling my Mach1 from racing this season because it is for sale. I will be racing my 2004 Impreza 2.5ts wagon (base model non turbo and slow as ever). It is stock with the exception of the fart cannon muffler on the back and hail damage and some rust:). I am classing it in GS-S I read in street class you can change the muffler out. I read in 13.2A in the 2016 solo rules aesthetic body panels can be changed. My car is quite boring to look at and I love the look of STI.  I am considering adding the factory rear spoiler for the wagon on the back. Also I want to mount the STI hood scoop, fog light covers and oem STI front side splitters. Can I still run in Street class with those parts?

The one part I might argue is the scoop becuase it might add a bit of performance via cooling (even though kinda doubt it lol) but the rules are pretty specific that no scoops are allowed to be added until prepared class. Not even Street Mod is allowed scoops unless they were there originally.

19 hours ago, TRDTurko said:

The one part I might argue is the scoop becuase it might add a bit of performance via cooling (even though kinda doubt it lol) but the rules are pretty specific that no scoops are allowed to be added until prepared class. Not even Street Mod is allowed scoops unless they were there originally.

Ok good to know thanks.

On 6/18/2016 at 2:23 PM, Magner said:

I have been noticing a few incorrectly classed cars this year. Particularly Street Class, which has gone through a lot of changes in the last few years,  ...

It's up to the drivers to enter their car in the correct class. The person running registration on that day (not always the Chief of Registration) may or may not be familiar with every car and every class, and it's unfair to ask him/her to do so. Autocross is built on the idea that you self-declare: your class, your modifications, etc.

If a driver is unsure what class their car belongs to, they should go to AM with PAX=1.0. The onus is on them to get the correct class and thereby help themselves with a more favourable pax. In no circumstance should someone just guess, especially if they guess in a way that helps them get a better pax time (e.g. CS instead of AS), as that would be considered cheating.

If anyone sees this happening, first try pointing it out to the driver, as there is a good chance they simply don't know the rules. Let them make the correction. Not only is this the nice thing to do, it's also a good learning moment for the new driver. Teach a man to fish and all that. If that doesn't work, and the person is being stubborn or purposely cheating, then bring it up to Timing and we can look into it at that point, and there is a chance that someone gets DSQ. But that should be a last resort. We can't go around DSQ'ing everyone just because they made a simple mistake. It's far too much work and just ends up pissing off everyone during the process. So let's help each other out instead, please! :)

On 6/9/2016 at 1:12 AM, zclapa said:

Sorry I didn't mention this originally, but I am aware of the rules infringment. Due to the minimalistic nature of the relative increase in down force, I was just wondering if it would be required to take it off for events or if people simply wouldn't mind. As it seems it may be better to take off the front trim, would the same thoughts apply to the side trim pieces as well?

Thanks,

Zac 

On 6/18/2016 at 2:31 PM, white_cross said:

Hey guys,

A good way to think about these things would be from your competition's perspective. We are pretty lucky to race with a bunch of good people here in Winnipeg, but you never know who else might show up one day or who might be harbouring a secret jealousy of you because you beat them by 0.002 seconds one event. If someone was to protest you for aero mods then it's pretty clear, regardless of how much of a "perceived" performance advantage you may or may not actually get.

Fog light covers, side splitters and sideskirts are all pretty minor in my opinion, but my opinion doesn't count for anything. Rules are rules. I personally wouldn't protest you but if someone else did, then I'd probably have to uphold it, unless you can prove that it's an allowed modification. Something like a hood scoop or a rear spoiler/wing is even more dicey because to me, those are obvious performance benefits. I wouldn't do those if I was you. Or, go ahead and do them, and just class yourself in the appropriate class. No big deal if you aren't running for points anyway. But if you do care about points, then I guess you probably should follow the rules because your competition who also cares about points should be doing that too.

Hope that makes sense. Just trying to offer a bit of guidance, not a definitive "ruling" on anything.

1 hour ago, Beau said:

Hey guys,

A good way to think about these things would be from your competition's perspective. We are pretty lucky to race with a bunch of good people here in Winnipeg, but you never know who else might show up one day or who might be harbouring a secret jealousy of you because you beat them by 0.002 seconds one event. If someone was to protest you for aero mods then it's pretty clear, regardless of how much of a "perceived" performance advantage you may or may not actually get.

Fog light covers, side splitters and sideskirts are all pretty minor in my opinion, but my opinion doesn't count for anything. Rules are rules. I personally wouldn't protest you but if someone else did, then I'd probably have to uphold it, unless you can prove that it's an allowed modification. Something like a hood scoop or a rear spoiler/wing is even more dicey because to me, those are obvious performance benefits. I wouldn't do those if I was you. Or, go ahead and do them, and just class yourself in the appropriate class. No big deal if you aren't running for points anyway. But if you do care about points, then I guess you probably should follow the rules because your competition who also cares about points should be doing that too.

Hope that makes sense. Just trying to offer a bit of guidance, not a definitive "ruling" on anything.

All good. Thanks for the clarification.

1 hour ago, cboettch said:

We, did use that document when, we, created the 2016 Sup regs. Cut n' paste, baby. Do you see a discrepancy? I do not. 

I had only seen the 2015 rules on a previous share. You and Krank pointed out the link to this year's and I think they match as you said "copy and paste".

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to figure out the street rules allowances. My car need a couple new suspension bushings to replace the worn out ones. I understand that all the suspension bushings have to be oem spec right, no poly urethane? what I am confused on is 13.7 A where it talks about sway bars. It says any bushing material is permitted. Does that mean bushings for just for the one sway bar that was removed or added or both sway bars?

34 minutes ago, krank said:

Since you are only changing one ....

Using stiffer bushings would change the performance on the other sway bar so in effect you would be changing/modifying BOTH sway bars which is disallowed.

Bingo. Only the bushing material on the aftermarket/upgraded bar can be substituted. 

• 2 months later...

Next year I am thinking of running in STU as I might go to Spring Nationals and I don't want to buy R-Comps to compete in SP. However I want to do some modifications to my car and the big one I want to do is adjustable upper control arms.

I think this rule about bushing would prevent me from using these:

14.8.B

Suspension bushings may be replaced with bushings of any materials
(except metal) as long as they fit in the original location. Offset bushings
may be used. In a replacement bushing, the amount of metal relative to
the amount of non-metallic material may not be increased. This does not
authorize a change in type of bushing (e.g.,  ball and socket replacing a
cylindrical bushing) or use of a bushing with an angled hole whose direction
differs from that of the original bushing. If the standard bushing
accommodated multi-axis motion via compliance of the component material(s),
the replacement bushing may not be changed to accommodate such motion
via a change in bushing type, for example to a spherical bearing or
similar component involving internal moving parts. Pins or keys may be
used to prevent the rotation of alternate bushings but may serve no other
purpose than that of retaining the bushing in the desired position.

Here are some links:

Stock(ish) control arms

https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_S4-Quattro-3.0T/Suspension/Control_Arm/ES2795510/

Aftermarket

https://store.034motorsport.com/034motorsport-density-line-adjustable-upper-control-arm-kit-track-spec-b8-audi-a4-s4-rs4-a5-s5-rs5-q5-sq5.html

So, from a simple look the inside bushing looks about the same as the stock one...not sure how you prove the ratio is correct. But am I right in reading that the change from a ball joint to a spherical bearing would be a show-stopper? But the wording is odd because it goes on to say that you can use pins to prevent the rotation of alternate bushing so it is confusing to me. So in this case if I can replace the ball joint with the spherical bearing, how can I tell if I maintain the metal to non-metal ratio (assuming it still applies)? also does the dust boot contribute to the non-metal calculation?

If you look at the rebuild kit (link below), which parts are considered to be part of the bushing? As you can see the pin that is part of the stock ball joint is a separate piece in the aftermarket arm.
https://store.034motorsport.com/rebuild-kit-density-line-adjustable-front-upper-control-arms.html

Shawn

The way I read it is that if you use the spherical end you must disable it with the use of pins to prevent a\the additional movement. As far as the ratio, don't have a clue how someone would "prove" you wrong but to me it appears the aftermarket spherical ends have less total steel than the OEM ones. If that is the case you fit within the limits of having "more" metal than OEM. First look guess only. Know any good lawyers?

I'd say those are fine. Ball joint to heim joint is ok. The metal to non-metal ratio applies to the other end. If you were intending to go try to win SCCA Nats, I'd want to be absolutely certain about the ratios, but it looks close enough to me for local stuff. The intent is to keep people from replacing rubber bushings with spherical bearings, but now people use delrin anyway. 

Note the heim joints will eventually clunk and make passengers question if your car is fit for road use. ;) Race car parts, baby! 

• 1 month later...

So where would my impreza be classed if I added the front end parts like the rumble wagon has: http://www.wrongfitmentcrew.com/forum/showthread.php?3649-KatieO-s-WRX-Rumble-Wagon!

Rumble wagon parts list:

JDM Fog lights- Multicoat
Sedan Front Bumper, Fenders and liners – OEM
Sti Splitters – OEM
Sti Hoodscoop - OEM
Front lip

I just love the look on the wagon done like the rumble wagon.

My car looks like this:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1381858

Street prepared 15.1c says you can change parts if it was standard on the model it was taken from in this case the wrx would be the model they were taken from.

Thanks guys.

I did some research and the RS impreza which is exactally where my ts wagon is classed (DSP subaru impreza 2.5i (NOC) shares fenders and bumpers with the sti and wrx. So in interpret installing these items legal on my car under 15.1c? Also I.1 talks about adding splitters being ok which I interpret as allowing oem  STI splitter. 

Am i correct in interpreting these items as legal on my car?

I guess the wrx side skirts and hood scoop are the only parts I can not legally install in DSP class? 

Regarding the body modification, specifically taking the WrX or STI parts and adding them to the Impreza.

On Page 88, C, b, of the 2016 Solo Rule book it stats:

Equipment and or specifications may be exchanged between different years and models of a vehicle if:

b)The year/model are listed on the same line of Appendix A, Street Prepared Class.

Section b means the cars must be in the same class. Since the STI and WRX are in ASP and the Impreza is in DSP you can't add the faster ASP parts to upgrade a slower DSP car. If you had a WRX and wanted STI parts that would be open under the rules, but because the cars in different classes you can't pick and chose between both. It might appear strange to not allow simple body panel swaps but the way the rules are written the Update/backdate rules is SP is open to other parts. If "b" wasnt in the rule book you could also legally add a WRX/STI drivetrain in a lighter weight base model Impreza... which would be completely unfair for a DSP car. Hope that makes sense. 

On the splitter question:

Rules are listed on page 91. I 1.

The key thing to remember is " Splitters may not protrude beyond the bumper." which means if you were to look at the car from a top view no portion of the splitter would extend beyond the body work. As long as your OEM Subaru splitters follows the rules under I, 1 it would be legal. Here is an example of Street Prepared legal splitters:

http://www.sdsolo.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1332&stc=1&d=1391401518

22 hours ago, Magner said:

Regarding the body modification, specifically taking the WrX or STI parts and adding them to the Impreza.

On Page 88, C, b, of the 2016 Solo Rule book it stats:

Equipment and or specifications may be exchanged between different years and models of a vehicle if:

b)The year/model are listed on the same line of Appendix A, Street Prepared Class.

Section b means the cars must be in the same class. Since the STI and WRX are in ASP and the Impreza is in DSP you can't add the faster ASP parts to upgrade a slower DSP car. If you had a WRX and wanted STI parts that would be open under the rules, but because the cars in different classes you can't pick and chose between both. It might appear strange to not allow simple body panel swaps but the way the rules are written the Update/backdate rules is SP is open to other parts. If "b" wasnt in the rule book you could also legally add a WRX/STI drivetrain in a lighter weight base model Impreza... which would be completely unfair for a DSP car. Hope that makes sense. 

On the splitter question:

Rules are listed on page 91. I 1.

The key thing to remember is " Splitters may not protrude beyond the bumper." which means if you were to look at the car from a top view no portion of the splitter would extend beyond the body work. As long as your OEM Subaru splitters follows the rules under I, 1 it would be legal. Here is an example of Street Prepared legal splitters:

http://www.sdsolo.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1332&stc=1&d=1391401518

Ok that makes sense. So the Impresa RS sedan is on the same line in appendix A, Street Prepared. So I can use the parts off of that model but not the wrx. 

That or keep my eyes open for a Manual trans WRX wagon for a good price.

Thanks for helping me figure things out.

• 4 weeks later...

I am looking at possibly purchasing some parts for my S4 but am trying to determine if they are legal for Street Prepared. The first part I am unsure of is in the attached pictures; it is a replacement for the stock subframe brace and it attaches in the same location as the stock piece. The stock piece is several pieces of stamped steel welded together and the replacement part is a single machined piece of aluminum. It apparently makes a big difference in the steering feel/response.

Audi refers to this part as a strut brace but it appears to be a subframe brace...perhaps they are the same thing? I am not sure if this is allowed in Street Prepared or not as there are rules about subframe connectors (15.2.E) that talk about subframe connectors not allowed to connect between the driver side and passenger side which even the stock piece does. Or does this fall under 15.2.C.3 as a lower suspension brace but in this case, based on pictures, I am not sure one of the bolts is within the 2” of the suspension pick-up point.

Any help figuring this out would be fantastic. Hoping to purchase some stupid expensive parts with the Black Friday deals...if I can bring myself to spend the money.

Here is a pic of the stock brace installed on the front subframe.

brace_location.jpg

Here is a pic of the stock brace (top) compared to the aftermarket part (bottom)

stock_vs_xbrace.jpg

Good question, I had a look a the rulebook and this looks confusing hopefully this is it:

The parts you are referring to are called "Lower suspension braces" under the rules 15.2.C3 applies. I see the 2 bolts near the horizontal control arm bolt/mount appear to be slightly farther, not sure that over 2" might be worth double checking first.

Verdict: Happy Black Friday Shopping if you confirm the measurements?

Section 15.2.E refers to subframe connectors which are used to connect the front and rear subframes together. This are really popular in the muscle car world where chassis rigidity is on par with a soggy carrot (ultimate example fox body mustang as pictured). The parts you described are not "subframe connectors"

Subframe connectors in black:

p1011013.jpg

So my next question would be what is the definition of a suspension pickup point? How do I know where it begins and what it includes? for example is it the bolt that holds the control arm to the subframe and if so does it include the bolt head? or is it the part of the subframe that the bolt goes through? or is it the hole itself? in the end I'm trying to figure out what I can measure from and measure to.

• 2 weeks later...

So in planning for 17'......

Whats the interpretation for the rule on stock class wheels?

My 323i came with 12 wheel options that could be selected on that model year, and any wheel could be selected during ordering. Am I locked to what was on the build sheet, or can I select one of the optional sizes to work from.

16x7, 17x7, 17x7.5, 17x8, 18x8....

I hope I can pick, but want confirmation before I do so.

:)

3 hours ago, MRS Joe said:

So in planning for 17'......

Whats the interpretation for the rule on stock class wheels?

My 323i came with 12 wheel options that could be selected on that model year, and any wheel could be selected during ordering. Am I locked to what was on the build sheet, or can I select one of the optional sizes to work from.

16x7, 17x7, 17x7.5, 17x8, 18x8....

I hope I can pick, but want confirmation before I do so.

:)

I've seen this come up many times on the sandbox with Porches and their infinite wheel options, the consistent answer appears to be any as long as the car in question have or could have been ordered with the wheels they can be legally substituted. The wheels are not legal if the combination was not available from the manufacturer.

For example if the18x8 was only offered on a "bling bling" trim package with a spoiler, front lip & sunroof, you could only run the 18x8 if your car has the spoiler, front lip, sunroof, options installed. Or example 2, if the 17x7.5 was only offered on the 323x AWD model you couldn't legally run those wheels unless your car was also the AWD model.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Pretty sure that's something new but I wonder how many issues (protests) that will cause. Specifically with some of the bushing replacements they have the requirement that you can't increase the metal content of the bushing relative to the non-metal content which is stipulated in the full rules but not that cheat sheet. Sure it's the racers responsibility to class their car right but you know someone will find this guide and just run with it.

I keep flipping back and forth on whether to install all my bushing inserts and run SP or leave them for another year and drop down to STU.

And if anyone has a classing question you should reach out to Doug Gill. I did a few times in the off season and he clarified a few things. In fact one of the changes I was thinking of making that I thought was legal for my class turned out not to be (see the posts in this thread on March 23).

On 2/8/2017 at 5:17 PM, Nhil said:

Just found this on the SCCA website, I feel like this is a new addition because I don't remember seeing it last year.

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/019/200/2017-01-18-Quick-Reference-of-Category-Allowances.pdf?1485463261

A "cheat" sheet for people who are unsure of their classing. 

That's a pretty good reference. We should post a link to that document on our website and/or the forum FAQ. Good for newbs to get started.

On 2/9/2017 at 6:37 AM, codewhore said:

Pretty sure that's something new but I wonder how many issues (protests) that will cause.... Sure it's the racers responsibility to class their car right but you know someone will find this guide and just run with it.

I don't think it's worth worrying about. The first paragraph covers it with the whole "this is not the official guide, this is a cheasheet" speech. I'm assuming you skipped that section hey? :P