Project E-Mod MGB-GT

Some background: 26 years ago, my dad gave me a low km 5.3 litre Jag V12 to do whatever I wanted with it. Many ideas have been considered, such as a replica 1962 F1 racecar or a Rat Rod but after going to the SCCA Nationals and seeing the crazy crations in E-Mod, I found my project. I am stuffing it into a 1967 MGB-GT using a narrowed double-wishbone front suspension and Ford 9" rear multilink suspension(a copy of the multi-champion E-Mod Bugeye Sprite's rear suspension). An MGB-GT weighs 2100 lbs as delivered and the V12 and T56 trans weigh approximately 216 lbs more than the MGB engine/trans. With a gutted interior, no glass and extreme attention paid to weight, I'm hoping for a car in the 2000 lb region, which is about 150 lbs more than the class minimum. The engine makes somewhere between 274 and 312 hp, depending where you look. I know I could make more hp with less weight with an LS1 but there's something really cool about V12's and a British engine in a British car has charm as well. Anyways, here are some pics of the car before the work begins, I'll post pics of the engine when I have some.Picture1423.jpgPicture1418.jpgPicture1416.jpgPicture1422.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark, have I told You how much I love You lately?Keep Me privey to the project, I have un-godly visions of the wheels/slicks I can stuff under that beast :)Being a HUGE fan of MOD cars, there's a certain something that sparks this strange twitch for Me.Please come to Gimli for the Vintage weekend, I can more than "screw" up Your head with differant angles as 25ish years of British Cars has given Me some insight.Gods speed.

Mark' date=' have I told You how much I love You lately?Keep Me privey to the project, I have un-godly visions of the wheels/slicks I can stuff under that beast :)Being a HUGE fan of MOD cars, there's a certain something that sparks this strange twitch for Me.Please come to Gimli for the Vintage weekend, I can more than "screw" up Your head with differant angles as 25ish years of British Cars has given Me some insight.Gods speed.[/quote']LOL :) I plan on moving slowly but correctly with this project. It's my first race car build and I want to get it right. I'm not firm on wheel/tire sizes yet but anybody have any opinions? If I can use the Hoosier 22.0 x 10.0-13 then I can get slightly used slicks cheap, but I'm not sure a 22.6" high tire will look right or that 13" wheels will cover the brakes. Does anybody have a narrowed Ford 9" laying around? I may be able to make it for the vintage weekend and will find you if I do.

LOL :) I'm not firm on wheel/tire sizes yet but anybody have any opinions? If I can use the Hoosier 22.0 x 10.0-13 then I can get slightly used slicks cheap

:)Yo got to love Mod cars:)This car needs some real rubber = 23/13/13 Atlantic slicks on 12" wide wheels would be awesome. If you want to go this route, I would donate a pair of used R25 Hoosiers and Berget tire usually has used ones cheap. Gord knows how to get a hold of me or shoot me an email.Daryl Calgary ABV8 Mazda7 E/ModLand Rover A/Mod, Formula Lbre

:)Yo got to love Mod cars:)This car needs some real rubber = 23/13/13 Atlantic slicks on 12" wide wheels would be awesome. If you want to go this route' date=' I would donate a pair of used R25 Hoosiers and Berget tire usually has used ones cheap. Gord knows how to get a hold of me or shoot me an email.Daryl Calgary ABV8 Mazda7 E/ModLand Rover A/Mod, Formula Lbre[/quote']Awesome, I'll take those tires, I need some to test fit-anybody got some old wheels to fit these? How do I get the tires?

Mark, Your so screwed going down this route.I have wheels and between Mr. Formula Libre We can supply "test fit" stuff.I have the recipe for diff. wheels and brakes.Really Man.........Life is good on the dark side, brute H.P and ignorance is Your friend.I look forward to giving insight in such a project of stupidity.....

Awesome' date=' I'll take those tires, I need some to test fit-anybody got some old wheels to fit these? How do I get the tires?[/quote']I could send them greyhound collect, send them to Gord, or might be worth getting a price from http://www.tigercourier.com/, I could also get them to the Edmonton race this month is anyone is coming out. formulalibre{at}shaw.caI can't wait to see {and hear} this beast:D:D

Mark I have some too, Between Darryl and I don't worry about tires for fitment.I can bring some to Gimli for Vintage weekend. Would You like Me to bring the "bullet proof" 4x4.5" disc brake rear end You need too, as it's the same bolt pattern as the front and accepts 13" Wheels.Four link bits?Adjustable Panhard bar?Coil-overs?Trust Me, between Mr. Libre and Myself You having un-godly amounts of support.What else do You need for now to sort out the "bugs" ?

Mark I have some too' date=' Between Darryl and I don't worry about tires for fitment.I can bring some to Gimli for Vintage weekend. Would You like Me to bring the "bullet proof" 4x4.5" disc brake rear end You need too, as it's the same bolt pattern as the front and accepts 13" Wheels.Four link bits?Adjustable Panhard bar?Coil-overs?Trust Me, between Mr. Libre and Myself You having un-godly amounts of support.What else do You need for now to sort out the "bugs" ?[/quote']Wow, maybe this thing will come together quicker than expected! How much do you want for the disc brake rear end? I need the 4-link, panhard bar and coil-overs, too. front suspension is actually an early 70's Jag suspension that has been narrowed and I believe it's a Ford 5 bolt pattern-of course I can re-drill the studs. I cannot make it out for the racing on the Vintage weekend but for sure I will make it out on Friday or Saturday night to see you guys and check out those parts. Also, if you swing by Speedworld on your way to Gimli, I can show you the car.

A few teaser pics, I'll get higher quality ones uploaded tonight. In this pic, the arrow on the fender marks the front axle centerline, so you can see that it lines up with the front two cylinders, leaving 10 cylinders BEHIND the front axle-should make for good weight balance ;)Posted ImageThe engine is close to the firewall but there is still room to work on it and even take the cam covers off.Posted ImageAnd there is still plenty of room for pedals inside the car.Posted Image

Very very cool. :eek:I assume that's not the T56 bolted to the engine right now?Looking at pictures of a T56, you might have problems with the shift lever being too far rearwards. Maybe a Cobra-esque forward-bent shift lever would fix that.

Very very cool. :eek:I assume that's not the T56 bolted to the engine right now?Looking at pictures of a T56' date=' you might have problems with the shift lever being too far rearwards. Maybe a Cobra-esque forward-bent shift lever would fix that.[/quote']Nope, it's the stock slushbox. The bellhousing to adapt a T5 or Tremec transmission is on it's way to me right now and I thing Lotiguy is hooking me up with a T5.

I case anybody has these parts kicking around, I need the following:-MGB bonnet hinge-MGB 4 bolt front hubs/brake discs -MGB Sebring fender flares-Tilton (or similar) pedal assembly with adjustable ratio brake bias-Pre-fabricated transmission tunnel-Kit to replace lever shocks with coilovers-Urethane bushing kit for MGB front suspension-Adjustable sway bars for MGBAnd have these to sell (all from 1967 MGB-GT):-Complete rear axle/springs (with knock off hubs and nuts)-all glass with chrome trim and rubber seals (except windshield,I may need that)-4 wire spoke wheels-Front knock-off hubs, nuts and brake discs-

Update: I was removing the power steering pump, fan and air pump from the engine and the body fell off the stands, bending the engine compartment metal up at a 45 degree angle. The good news is that the metal was only used to fasten the fenders and when I build the roll cage, it will be removed anyways.

I built the frame rails yesterday and notched them for the front crossmember today-an unbelievable amount of work with a grinder and welder. Here's one frame rail right after I sliced it:Posted ImageAnd after I welded it up and put it in the car:Posted ImageThe frame rail extends back and replaces the very rusty box section which forms part of the MGB frame structure.Posted Image

Archived