Pointer Cones Use

Art

IIRC in a past thread the comment was made that pointer cones should only be used on the inside of a radius. "Sweep or Slalom" on the SCCA Nationals West Course had pointer cones on both sides.

I don't see any problem with pointer cones as long as they are used sparingly. You don't want a whole bunch of pointer cones right next to each other or people start looking for a slalom that isn't there.I'm all for miniminizing the # of cones. The last event was perfect. It was simple to figure out where to go, no sea of cones and it seemed to me there were fewer actual cones hit than normal. Gates when present were nice and wide and room everywhere to set up for the next element. Good job.

I'm the one who brought up the pointer cone rule. I'm pretty sure it was in RJ's manual. I think there are acceptable exceptions to the rule, but the point is to use them sparingly, and not to put them on both sides of a gate, or to line the outside of a sweeper with them.IIRC, if you took "sweep or slalom" and straightened it out, those pointers would have been on the inside of a radius, and they weren't directly opposite any other pointer cones.

Archived