centre bore too big = dangerous?

tatawaki

Just bought the set of rims/tires from steve,but when mounting them I noticed there is a bout 2-3mm of play i.e. center bore is too big, I mounted them anyway as the nuts centered the rim. I went and drove ~100km/hour on the perimeter to test her out ran with no wobles.should I be concerned? this car is driven by my grandpa and don't want any saftey issues.if this is a problem, I have to either find new rims or they're up for sale! :P

Re: centre bore too big = dangerous?

Yeah as long as you don't get a vibration' date=' you should be alright.  As soon as it starts to vibrate, it's dangerous.You could also get hubcentric rings pretty cheap. [/quote']where do I get hubcentric rings?no vibrations, so I'm ok

Re: centre bore too big = dangerous?my summer rims have too large a center bore...some times a get a slight wobble.. then i just loosen off and retighten...they have held till approximatly 230km/h so i think your grandpa should be just fine

Just bought the set of rims/tires from steve' date='but when mounting them I noticed there is a bout 2-3mm of play i.e. center bore is too big, I mounted them anyway as the nuts centered the rim. I went and drove ~100km/hour on the perimeter to test her out ran with no wobles.should I be concerned? this car is driven by my grandpa and don't want any saftey issues.if this is a problem, I have to either find new rims or they're up for sale! :P[/quote']I'm suprised the centre bore is different from my civic to your 05. As others have said, don't worry about it. Worst case, get the rings.I was always pretty impressed with those tires and they're like new so don't sell em. :)

Just bought the set of rims/tires from steve' date='but when mounting them I noticed there is a bout 2-3mm of play i.e. center bore is too big, I mounted them anyway as the nuts centered the rim. I went and drove ~100km/hour on the perimeter to test her out ran with no wobles.should I be concerned? this car is driven by my grandpa and don't want any saftey issues.if this is a problem, I have to either find new rims or they're up for sale! :P[/quote']I just read a Mini book that cautions against that very thing, a hub centred is not safe when centred using only the lug nuts. My Kosei's came with a ring that pops into the wheel to keep them centred on the hub.

Re: centre bore too big = dangerous?  With aThere are lots of applications where the hub is not close to the rim hole. My older Porsches have no such hub center. Porsche has always been a fastidious engineering company, and they did not have any hub near the ID of a rim for decades. The forces on a VW based Baja racer are very high, and their rims have a 5" hole over a 2.5" hub, a huge radial gap!! The center is only useful for putting the rim on the car. The Mustang rims I used on my Pony had a gap, as do the Datsun 510 rims on my daily driver Geo. If the bolts were not very tight, maybe less than 10 ft-lb, and the rim inner surface were heavily greased, you might put a bit of a high load on the bolts when you get big air on a rail crossing or driveway. No one should get big air in their car, and the inner surface will not be greased! The tons of force needed to overcome radial friction is so high, with 4 or 5 properly torqued nuts/bolts, that no normal bumps or driving are significant. The biggest fear with a 'gap' is that the nut might grip the edge of the hole, leaving the rim 1 to 2 mm from being centered, with tapered nuts. With flat washer-type rims, it is possible to bolt on the rim 0.010" to 0.030" from true center, which will give you a bit of a vibration. The normal cone type contact will never do this.

Re: centre bore too big = dangerous?any engineer will tell you that the lugs in the ideal case will never hold a side (shear) load. thats why we torque them properly. it creates the clamping force which is quite increadable between the two steel plates. hubcentrics are just so you can aline it during the install process to get rid of the vibration and so it's easier to put the rim on.thats my make myself sound smart thing of the day...

Archived