Weight Weanies

That's what we call the cyclists who spend thousands on their road bikes trying to skim grams of weight off of frames that are already light as a feather. Being relatively new to motorsport, I found it curious that the same obsession happens even when high horsepower is available. I got curious how my vehicles compare in weight per horsepower (based on OEM stats). I don't know what performance difference this really makes but I found it interesting.  The top two vehicles are mine...

·         7.7 lb/hp (2006 Solstice Mallet LS2V8, 400HP)

·         9.0 lb/hp (2019 Golf R Stage 1 APR, 375HP)

·         8.9 lb/hp (2015 Audi RS5)

·         7.1 lb/hp (2015 Audi R8 V10)

·         9.7 lb/hp (2016 BMW i8)

·         7.2 lb/hp (2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 1LT)

·         11.0 lb/hp (2015 Dodge Challenger R/T)

·         5.8 lb/hp (2015 Ferrari 458 Italia)

·         8.5 lb/hp (2016 Ford Mustang GT)

·         12.1 lb/hp (2009 Honda S2000)

·         5.6 lb/hp (2014 Lamborghini Gallardo LP-560 AWD)

·         8.5 lb/hp (2016 Lexus RC-F)

·         10.5 lb/hp (2011 Lotus Elise Base)

·         15.0 lb/hp (2016 Mazda MX-5 …Miata)

·         14.7 lb/hp (2016 Mini Cooper S)

·         7.2 lb/hp (2016 Nissan GT-R)

·         7.7 lb/hp (2016 Porsche Carrera S)

·         6.3 lb/hp (2016 Porsche Carrera Turbo S)

·         6.3 lb/hp (2016 Porsche GT3 RS)

·         7.7 lb/hp (2016 Porsche Cayman GT4)

·         10.0 lb/hp (2016 Tesla Model S P90D AWD, 463hp)

Posted (edited)

You aren't wrong, and many of our classing systems are based off this ratio.

It is a goal of mine to get my RX8 below 6lbs/hp while keeping the creature comforts.

Why below 6? I'm trying to match the performance of a C6 Corvette ZR1 @ 5.2lbs/hp! The RX8 has statistically equal wheelbase, height and width and sports a similar drivetrain.
The ZR1 is only car that has left a lasting impression on me over the laundry list of vehicles I've piloted around Gimli and other tracks.

With skyrocketing re-sale prices, i may never be able to have one of my own, but maybe i can get close! haha

Edited by nopistons
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

The more I get to know about sports cars the more impressed I am with the Corvette. Its performance for the cost is stunning (even though it will still cost you for sure).  I've been watching MECUM Indianapolis Auction the last few days.  Amazing Corvettes going for the $40K too $50K USD range.

Edited by Ron Janzen
  • Like 1

My Westfield Super 7 kit car weighs in at 1280 race ready (without my big gut inside it though). This year's dyno numbers put it at 144whp. That works out to 8.9lb/HP. Maybe a bump to 250whp with a spooly boi is needed? 5.1lb/HP sounds more impressive.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ahobo1 said:

My Westfield Super 7 kit car weighs in at 1280 race ready (without my big gut inside it though). This year's dyno numbers put it at 144whp. That works out to 8.9lb/HP. Maybe a bump to 250whp with a spooly boi is needed? 5.1lb/HP sounds more impressive.

Yowzah! Bugatti Veyron ratios...

All of them are underpowered overweight cars compared to the incredible Koenigsegg One:1

Not your typical gas powered car but a scary beast none the less! 

4 hours ago, Greg Eastwood said:

download.php?sid=wm-perm6654baa8a1bf5728852382&class=attachment&fullpath=geastwood%40highspeedcrow.ca%2FINBOX%2F80408%2F1.2There you go Darin, 2007 C6Z06,only 6.21 lbs/hp. Less expensive than the ZR1. Keeping it clean for you. Greg

I dunno ... if this guy maintains his car the same as his driveway, you might want to think twice.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Greg Eastwood said:

There you go Darin, 2007 C6Z06,only 6.21 lbs/hp. Less expensive than the ZR1. Keeping it clean for you. Greg

Too slow for me now! 😄
I was at 6.23 before the engine upgrades.

But, there's always a spot in my driveway for another 'Vette!

1 hour ago, Weebly said:

I dunno ... if this guy maintains his car the same as his driveway, you might want to think twice.

Looks like precambrian shield at the Whiteshell cottage..my kind of driveway :) .

• 3 weeks later...

The Pink Panther is 3.68 lbs/hp and I can tell you that it's too powerful and much time is spent on torque maps in the tune to try and manage it. The grip and course style in Lincoln (open element, lots of sweepers) make this task a lot easier. The Camaro is 5.03 lbs/hp and somehow feels scarier than the Pink Panther, no doubt this is due to HOW the power is delivered (right now, no turbo lag) but honestly, in my experience, driving a slow car fast is a more joyful experience. 

• Like 1

It seems I drive slow cars slow (Solstice 2.4L) and fast cars slow (Golf R, LS2 Solstice) :) . Anyways, totally agree with your point. I really get a rush from big torque but driving is the real factor. The fellow with the white Porsche at autocross last weekend, wow, that was a combination of everything in perfect balance. It was poetic watching him.