Is there any interest in having Endurance racing in Gimli?

Rxracer

Endurance racing has been very popular in B.C, Alberta, Ontario and the U.S. I know that the Gimli track layout makes it difficult to get fuel and other supplies while the track is hot, but there must be ways of working around that. With how many time attack drivers competing it seems that making a team should be relatively simple and bring more people into the sport. Having the track fully paved this year will entice teams from Alberta and an Enduro will bring lots new drivers. What do you think? 

Cool idea, however I think it would be quite an undertaking to make it a regular event. Additional track days would be needed, and I could see track reentry from pit lane being pretty hairy, with constant pit stops, a spread out pack, and gimli being a fairly short course. And while the club has an extremely dedicated volunteer base, current events are often stretched a little thin. This would require considerably more volunteer commitment. 

As far as time attackers getting involved, most coming to gimli are running street cars without cages, and the popularity of TA is largely due to the lower cost compared to road race. It would be substantially more expensive to prep a car for endurance.

Maybe a survey of racers to gauge interest in having one special endurance event in the year? I’m currently not involved in the club nearly as much as I’d like to be, but I’m sure other members can chime in with more experience based outlooks. It’s likely already been discussed at one of those meetings I don’t (but should) attend.

Its worth trying something different if it brings a new group of people to the track. A bit of planning would be needed to make the event work, I'm sure there are other hurdles beyond what you and I have mentioned as well, but this does work at a large number of other tracks. 
"As far as time attackers getting involved, most coming to gimli are running street cars without cages, and the popularity of TA is largely due to the lower cost compared to road race. It would be substantially more expensive to prep a car for endurance."
The idea is not for the time attack group to build cars specifically but to get them behind the wheel of cars that have already been built. The cost per min of an enduro is often less than half of a sprint weekend, and you get more track time. 
I think a survey would be awesome. I will try to attend the next meeting but i live in Edmonton so it may be a bit tricky. 

• 4 weeks later...

A single annual race in conjunction with Alberta would be a interesting idea. Make it a Western Championship. 

The biggest issue is that pits would have to be moved to figure 8 section so fuel runs could be done. Alternatively you could run with a parc ferma at lunch hour. 

There are a few Saskatchewan cars you'd get. Pulling the alberta Cars would be a challenge. It is a long tow. Making it a Western Championship would help. 

If it is in the future possibilities and you are paving this year you might want to consider a good on and off ramp that would allow outside accessible pits. In the areas circled below. Specifically on the right where skid pad is typically done. Gives you options in the future. 

image.png.b4b62158457511d5180ca14d7b84c18a.png

On 11/2/2022 at 9:01 PM, Rxracer said:

Endurance racing has been very popular in B.C, Alberta, Ontario and the U.S. I know that the Gimli track layout makes it difficult to get fuel and other supplies while the track is hot, but there must be ways of working around that. With how many time attack drivers competing it seems that making a team should be relatively simple and bring more people into the sport. Having the track fully paved this year will entice teams from Alberta and an Enduro will bring lots new drivers. What do you think? 

Why don’t you introduce yourself so we know who we’re talking to.

Welcome here.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mat said:

If we were running an endurance race I would stage the pits on the skid pad. I wouldn’t want to release cars at corner one.

Where are you running skid pad now? Last time I was at the HPDE (years ago) it was just up and right of corner 1.  Where the arrows in the picture come and go.

Is it now right of corner 9 where autocross happens?

The area you defined is the area where we do the figure 8 exercise. The skid pad is beyond corner 9 where AutoX / Drift and the slalom exercise from our competition school is held.

Please introduce yourself. It’s always nice to know who’s showing interest in racing at GMP.

Edited by Mat

My name is Ryan. From Saskatchewan. I regularly endurance race. We've met. I've sprint raced at Gimili ever year atleast once except last year. 

Your 2023 Sprint schedule looks better than 2022 was for me. You are likely to see me out once or twice in 2023. Missed racing there this year.