DirtX Sept 18 & 19

Ok, let me be the first to say it: This event was AWESOME!

The smiles of everybody coming off the track said it all; there was nobody who didn't enjoy being out on that amazing course! Changing slowly from a relatively slippery grass track to a high-traction dirt track, this course had it all: long straights to put the pedal to the metal, tight slalom sections, off-camber turns, the potential to jump (if you didn't want to make the next turn...), and a couple of really awkwardly placed markers that threw the drivers off their rythm - overall, a course that did not favour any particular car, as the close time slips proved.

I cannot thank enough our host who made this event possible. Cows and dogs, manure and dust: this is an incredible place to hold the DirtX, and we truly appreciate your willingness to open your property for us!

Another big Thank You to Mat and Al. Starting a new discipline, figuring out the location and the modus operandi, and then finally pulling it off so effortlessly after so many delays shows that Al and Mat know what they are doing - great job, guys!

And of course this could not have happened without the volunteers who were willing to stand in the sun and the dust to direct people, wave flags or take time. Thank you to (in no particular order) Jay, David, Josh,  Derrick, Brian, Scott... I am sure I am forgetting somebody; feel free to kick me in my pants next time you see me!

I am looking forward to the next event, regardless of what vehicle I will be in. If need to be, we pummel Brad's new Audi around the track! (Psst, don't tell him I said that...it's a surprise!)

Edited by donrolandofurioso
  • Like 4

Yeah, that was a really fun one.

When I first showed up Saturday morning, and Mat led me through a field full of cows, I found myself wondering what I had gotten myself into. But once I saw the track, I knew it was going to be really special. 

I ate my share of dust out there, but there was no place I would have rather been... other than in an old car trying to help straighten the curves. The drivers put on one heck of a show!!

To everyone who made this happen, thanks for pulling that off. I thought it was awesome, and I can't wait to do it again.

Dason

• Like 1

Kudos to the organizers and corner marshals and all volunteers involved for hosting such an awesome event. I’m sure as an inaugural event and race discipline there was a lot of uncertainty and speculation - however the racing action could not have ran smoother and the track was fantastic. 
Thanks to all for organizing this rally style of affordable racing!!!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, donrolandofurioso said:

Ok, let me be the first to say it: This event was AWESOME!

Roland, I totally “Echo” (no pun intended, Jim) your comments. It was a blast watching you, ahem, mature guys drive your cars like you stole them. Can’t imagine the amount of fun everyone was having driving the course! 

And, just so no one has to walk up and kick you in the pants, we should also  acknowledge Dason for his volunteer efforts.  But, maybe not so much his cone-counting. Also, I can’t say enough about how much we appreciate the effort Matt and Al put into making this event finally happen and come off like we’ve been doing it for years. 

After watching #88 literally fly through the slalom section on the main straight, I can’t imagine what he would do to our Autoslalom course at St. Andrews.  By the way, if you’re looking for a co-driver at the next DirtX event … 

Anyone know where I can view the crazy antics of LR in the Volvo?  I believe it was someone from Volvo Marketing who made that video.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Weebly said:

Roland, I totally “Echo” (no pun intended, Jim) your comments. It was a blast watching you, ahem, mature guys drive your cars like you stole them. Can’t imagine the amount of fun everyone was having driving the course! 

And, just so no one has to walk up and kick you in the pants, we should also  acknowledge Dason for his volunteer efforts.  But, maybe not so much his cone-counting. Also, I can’t say enough about how much we appreciate the effort Matt and Al put into making this event finally happen and come off like we’ve been doing it for years. 

After watching #88 literally fly through the slalom section on the main straight, I can’t imagine what he would do to our Autoslalom course at St. Andrews.  By the way, if you’re looking for a co-driver at the next DirtX event … 

Anyone know where I can view the crazy antics of LR in the Volvo?  I believe it was someone from Volvo Marketing who made that video.

I've got some video I took from the gate. If anybody has any photos/videos of either myself or Lucas in my Volvo I'd love to see em!

Loved the course, good combination of some tighter/more technical areas and some big sweepers where you could just let the rear hang out and throttle through. 

The event was a ton of fun and really happy it was able to happen. Thanks for putting it together! Finally gave me something to use that old car for. We'll be fixing everything we broke and bringing it back to the next one. 

• Like 2