Yesterday Winnipeg showed its ugly underbelly again, and my garage got broken into. Among many other things, two sets of wheels were stolen. I assume that they will pop up for sale somewhere.

The first set is the one I have (had) for sale, Touren 18x8 with 235/50R18 Toyo tires on them:

image.thumb.png.2a1e117f3210eef783c0ffebef40febb.png

The other set are Avid 1 Wheels, Model AV-21 in 18x9, in very good condition with only one wheel having a bit of curb rush:

AVID1 AV-21 Wheels - Revwerks Wheels Online

Both sets are 5x114.3 boltpattern.

If you see any of those rims for sale somewhere, please let me know. I thank you very much!

Edited by donrolandofurioso
  • Sad 2

That suks. I hope you find them. I have started engraving everything I own just so I will hopefully  get it back one day.

At work 16 cameras and an alarm system, and we have had fences cut, scrap go missing and probably other things I have missed.

Numerous customers bringing in their commercial vehicles with the catalytic converters cut off. Three in a week. Sadly because it is exhaust, the customer gets nailed "betterment" by MPIC usually in the range of 50% so they are on the hook for hundreds of dollars.

So even if things are welded on, they still go missing. It is getting desperate out there.

On 6/1/2020 at 3:42 PM, Brian_Earl_Spilner said:

Shitty deal, man. Sorry to hear. Hopefully insurance covers all your losses.

Kind of makes me happy I have cameras all over my house and garage.

Cameras by themselves are useless. I install them for commercial clients. Proper lighting and coverage of key areas is critical but prevention is what’s needed.  Supplied footage is archived or disregarded and no one gets charged. 
Jim is bang on about stamping initials and/or serial numbers into wheels. 
It just totally sucks. Also note most base homeowner policies only cover $2000-2500 in auto parts without a extension policy for auto parts.  

All I use at my shop is a ring doorbell camera. I have it set to send me notifications at night. I know it’s a shitty setup. But it works. Last fall we caught a guy and girl with a stolen car with tools for crime. RCMP arrested the girl on my property and the guy on the neighbours property. Also, three weeks ago at 3 am. My tenant and I chased a guy around the development but lost him in the fields. So far it has paid for itself.

49 minutes ago, wayne696 said:

All I use at my shop is a ring doorbell camera. I have it set to send me notifications at night. I know it’s a shitty setup. But it works. Last fall we caught a guy and girl with a stolen car with tools for crime. RCMP arrested the girl on my property and the guy on the neighbours property. Also, three weeks ago at 3 am. My tenant and I chased a guy around the development but lost him in the fields. So far it has paid for itself.

That’s a win. As of late there hasn’t been enough of those and I have a feeling crime will only increase as more people end up in hard times..

Edited by MRS Joe

I have an on going "discussion" with a friend of mine who has a business that backs up onto the river. He has lost the batteries from some of his trucks a few times. He stands on the NO LIGHTS theory ... "why give them light to work with". LOL, I guess he kind of has a point, depends on your traffic flow within eyesight I guess. I use have no choice but the "more light the better route" as the plant next door has super high intensity yard lighting mounted on top of some storage tanks. I just add to where they don't shine.

One more tip is to keep expensive things "out of sight, out of mind". Lots of sight seers walking or riding bikes across our property but you can't assume they are all thieves but best nobody sees anything laying around.

Just the times we live in. Nothing new. just more brazen I guess. 

I hate talking about theft, bad moxy ... now where is something wooden ..

On 6/5/2020 at 5:55 PM, MRS Joe said:

Cameras by themselves are useless. I install them for commercial clients. Proper lighting and coverage of key areas is critical but prevention is what’s needed.  Supplied footage is archived or disregarded and no one gets charged. 
Jim is bang on about stamping initials and/or serial numbers into wheels. 
It just totally sucks. Also note most base homeowner policies only cover $2000-2500 in auto parts without a extension policy for auto parts.  

Joe is correct here. Unless those cameras have encryption and you can prove that the feeds and recordings have not been tampered with most of those home systems cannot be used as evidence anyway. I have riders on my insurance for bikes and car stuff and check the contents value of my home and shop policy annually to ensure contents are adequately covered. Alas, police are so busy with important things like speed traps (tongue in cheek) that when they get a report for something insurance will cover, they let insurance cover it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2020 at 2:24 PM, Jim Eh. said:

Numerous customers bringing in their commercial vehicles with the catalytic converters cut off. Three in a week.

I had no idea this was a thing until I saw a facebook post that a friend had the cc cut off her Mazda CX-5. Sounded crazy to me until I googled how much the precious metals are worth in them.

On 6/2/2020 at 2:24 PM, Jim Eh. said:

So even if things are welded on, they still go missing. It is getting desperate out there.

They're stealing trees in broad daylight in Vancouver :der:

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/who-steals-a-tree-theft-of-japanese-maple-caught-on-camera-in-vancouver-1.4932069

18 hours ago, nishanna said:

I had no idea this was a thing until I saw a facebook post that a friend had the cc cut off her Mazda CX-5. Sounded crazy to me until I googled how much the precious metals are worth in them.

They're stealing trees in broad daylight in Vancouver :der:

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/who-steals-a-tree-theft-of-japanese-maple-caught-on-camera-in-vancouver-1.4932069

You should see the video of two guys in a gm dealer lot that gutted 50ish new trucks one night. What damage cordless sawsalls in the wrong hands can do in a remote dealer complex.... 

I figure as hardship will probably grow with covid, we will see more electrical wiring go missing in houses and commercial sites, and more thefts of CC’s. 

Hope your wheels show up on some sale sites. Keep a sharp eye out Roland. Might be a good idea to look at some local tuner sites as well. I always look closely at any items in the for sale section when the seller only has one post.

That really sucks Roland. Happened to me while my car was at the dealership getting work done. They called me at 6:30 am when the first guy got into the office and noticed my car in the lot sitting on blocks. Asked me if I had come by and taken my rims. I asked him, why would I do that? Thought he was joking at first, but no....

I eventually found my rims on another car running around the city, but I couldn't prove they were mine without serial numbers.

Good luck with everything, but without something definitive, you'll never be able to prove the rims are yours even if you do track them down.

11 minutes ago, funkejay said:

That really sucks Roland. Happened to me while my car was at the dealership getting work done. They called me at 6:30 am when the first guy got into the office and noticed my car in the lot sitting on blocks. Asked me if I had come by and taken my rims. I asked him, why would I do that? Thought he was joking at first, but no....

I eventually found my rims on another car running around the city, but I couldn't prove they were mine without serial numbers.

Good luck with everything, but without something definitive, you'll never be able to prove the rims are yours even if you do track them down.

Did the dealership compensate you anything since it happened on their lot/property? Or was it solely through MPI?

That would depend on if it was in a compound or open lot. Open lot = owners responsibility, compound = CCC (care, custody and control) insurance policy. The dealership may, on policy, cover the deductible but are not obligated. When you take any vehicle in for service or repairs, ALWAYS stipulate the vehicle to be stored in a compound or in doors and have that written on the service order.