2018 Spring/Summhttp://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/11260-2018-springsummer-drive/er Drive

11 hours ago, Brian_Earl_Spilner said:

Howdy folks,

Anybody interested in having our annual spring/summer drive? Is there going to be one this year? I haven't seen any discussion about it so I figured I'd throw it out there...

Kosta,

I'm new to the club and was wondering what you guys did in previous years.  A drive to Winnipeg Beach? ... or somewhere in the Whiteshell? ... or maybe just to your backyard where you'll host a BBQ?  All of these sound good to me.

11 hours ago, Weebly said:

Kosta,

I'm new to the club and was wondering what you guys did in previous years.  A drive to Winnipeg Beach? ... or somewhere in the Whiteshell? ... or maybe just to your backyard where you'll host a BBQ?  All of these sound good to me.

A bunch of us get together usually in the spring and autumn for a drive through some of Manitoba's scenic and winding roads. We often stop at some scenic points of interest, and then have a meal toward the end of the route. Then just hit a straight highway home afterwards.

The itinerary typically goes like this:

• Meet up somewhere near the outskirts of the city (most often the Canaad Inns on Regent)
  • Once everyone has gathered, head out for the drive on the route as a convoy. (most often The Whiteshell/Ingolf area)
  • Have a late lunch/meal stop toward the end of the route. Sometimes we've gone as far as Kenora.
  • Hit a main highway and head home.

It's always such a fun day of driving, scenery, and stretching your car's legs. There has been the odd time where people couldn't commit to a long day, so we've done a shorter drive up to Lockport, for example.

Pete Loewen usually organizes the drives, though Jim above has done it too. Pete knows the roads and scenic spots like the back of his hand. Myself, even though I've been through these roads many times on these drives, I still don't really know how to get to them or through them on my own. I know jack about rural Manitoba, so I wouldn't be the best person to organize this.

Feel free to take the reigns if you have some ideas!

Edited by Brian_Earl_Spilner

12 hours ago, Brian_Earl_Spilner said:

A bunch of us get together usually in the spring and autumn for a drive through some of Manitoba's scenic and winding roads. We often stop at some scenic points of interest, and then have a meal toward the end of the route. Then just hit a straight highway home afterwards.

The itinerary typically goes like this:

• Meet up somewhere near the outskirts of the city (most often the Canaad Inns on Regent)
  • Once everyone has gathered, head out for the drive on the route as a convoy. (most often The Whiteshell/Ingolf area)
  • Have a late lunch/meal stop toward the end of the route. Sometimes we've gone as far as Kenora.
  • Hit a main highway and head home.

It's always such a fun day of driving, scenery, and stretching your car's legs. There has been the odd time where people couldn't commit to a long day, so we've done a shorter drive up to Lockport, for example.

Pete Loewen usually organizes the drives, though Jim above has done it too. Pete knows the roads and scenic spots like the back of his hand. Myself, even though I've been through these roads many times on these drives, I still don't really know how to get to them or through them on my own. I know jack about rural Manitoba, so I wouldn't be the best person to organize this.

Feel free to take the reigns if you have some ideas!

Thanks for the background on these drives Kosta!  Sounds like a good time and a chance to get some face-to-face with other club members.  I guess there must be some difficulty in arranging a date that is suitable for everyone.  I'm good for any weekend that isn't Autoslalom, Time Attack, School, Drift, or course setup.  Yikes!  That sort of narrows it down, but still leaves June 16, 17, and 30th open. 

I always have a blast driving with a great group of people and cool cars through the whiteshell. I recently drove to lake of the woods via #44 and its pretty bad from 307 East. So probably stay away from Ingolf and Westhawk. Hwy 307 also offers us a few scenic spots and ice cream.  I could probably do something for the 16th if there are enough people interested. Any more takers?

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:50 PM, Brian_Earl_Spilner said:

16th will also work for me.

Any other takers?

Sorry, but I've just been commandeered for a garage sale this weekend.  Hopefully, I can make the next drive.  Thanks.

Ok. I'm geared up to go. Hopefully we get a few more interested parties in the next day.

So let's meet at the usual Canadinns at plessis and regent at 11:30 on Saturday the 16th and leave at noon. We'll head out on Dugald to Elma And from there into the whiteshell.

Should be a scenic drive. We'll stop for ice cream in brereton and back in the city for 4:30 or 5 latest

See you there

We didn't really stop much, to be fair. We pretty much nailed it right to Westhawk Lake. And once we got there, a couple of the guys had to immediately book it home. My wife and I snapped a few of just ourselves and the BMW in front of the lake, but I don't imagine anybody cares to see those.