Self-service/DYI auto garage bay rental

I've asked people about this before, but never found a good answer. I don't think such a place exists in Winnipeg yet.

I used to live in a condo and had no place to work on my own car, so I was always driving out of town to my parents' place or to a friend's house to work on my car. I searched for a DIY garage rental space for more than a couple of years, but never found one. Now that I have a garage I've given up the search, but I'd still be interested if you find something local. Might be nice to have access to a lift now and then, or a heated space to work in the winter.

When I lived in Edmonton, there was this place that looked like a former carwash. You could rent a bay and there was a tool rental desk that had everything you might need. Some of the bays had hoists, too. I believe such a business would work in Winnipeg BECAUSE everybody is so damn cheap

Just comes down to three things....

-Insurance/liability

-Theft/loss (broken) tools

(large deposits would deter potential clientele) 

-final rental costs and Winnipeg being cheap 

What would be a reasonable hourly or daily rate? 

Would the setup costs be able to be recovered in a timely fashion, as if not your maintenance costs would catch up with your setup costs and it'd be a money pit... 

Great idea in theory, for an old shop that's being dumped to be converted into, but not feasible from scratch in a new facility (which is what people want/expect)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

How many members are currently willing and able to invest in such a place like this in Winnipeg? I have a few other friends that would love to have a place to work on our cars, but unfortunately no such place exists. The more the merrier! 

• 10 months later...

$3000 sounds like a reasonable amount; however, I think any interested party will have to do their due diligence. Is heat and hydro included? Alarm? Water? Snow removal, etc? Duration of rental contract? Security payment?

Furthermore, what controls will be implemented to ensure that not one (or two or three) hog the shop for a disproportionate amount of time because they have more vehicles/parts are not in/ took longer than expected/ran into unforeseen problems et al...

If I was the owner of the building, I would not rent to a group. Instead, a single individual would have to step forward as the sole contract holder, becoming my sole point of contact. This person would be liable for all costs, expenses and damages. And I would make certain that this person had enough assets for me to seize when the rental agreement or any of its conditions were being violated, as it happens so often when a group of people utilize one building.

• 6 months later...

I'm selling my shop in Headingley apx 20×30' heated floor (boiler) compressor 10 ton hoist functional paint booth dedicated electrical panel 3 250 outlets 2 compressed air lines perfect for gearheads 

Oh I forgot 1700sq ft house included for wife and family 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...