Good, bad and ugly

We are looking for input on what is good, bad or ugly at GMP, we were hoping to have a suggestion box, but figured this would be easier to follow and respond to..

As we know, the women's shower is a main priority, under the ugly category..

Any questions, comments, suggestions or concerns can be added here, or emailed to Shane directly at honda78(at)mymts.net

Thanks

Hi there, I am glad you are doing a follow up on the event in Gimli. I'll use this as a brain storming session on how we can improve and where part of our budget can be spent to improve. Looking forward to what the out of towners come up with on what worked or didn't work.

Some points that I had written down;

- There wasn't any dedicated camping area so people that were showing up late didn’t really know where to go or where to park for that. They had to walk around and to find someone to ask to see if it was ok. Possibly we could dedicate an area or properly mark it. Or send info out ahead of time.  

- Handicap parking would have been nice. I screwed up on that with the Ice Racing and have noted that for 2017.

- I know our washroom facilities are half decent but may need some updating. Also some porta-biffy's that could have been located further away to the North for campers/tenter's or towards the Corner 4 stands for those spectators

- The mowing was excellent, thank you.

- The numbered cones for staging worked out much better than I thought it would. Good job to whoever sat down and painted numbers on all those.

- The 5 minute warning for the horn is great. Helps out a lot when we're off schedule and can't rely on a clock and no point sending someone up and down the pit.

- I don't care about closing staging area when checkered flag flies as we should have been there before then.

- I think that everyone would agree the smaller pit stalls worked just fine (3 cars in two spots) so if you need to do that again, I personally believe it would be fine.

- I heard the Saturday night band entertainment worked out very well, could look at doing the same setup at the infield at race track instead of remotely if that's a possibility.

- Good work by Shane on the bump on North end on Pit road. I image the rain will take it away although it was very smooth for the race cars exiting the track via corner 1.  

- Possible brochure or hand out for the people attending from out of town with FYI info including; accommodations, restaurants, groceries, beverage store, Auto Parts stores, pharmacy, hospital, things to do in town that aren't race related (kids), landmarks, construction areas on highways, where you can get 91 or 94 premium fuel, race fuel, plus whatever else you can think of. Where you can dump tanks on site, where can they fill up with water. Allow attendees to sign up with an email address or Twitter handle for last minute issues; IE Women's shower doesn't work.  

- I do have an idea that may not fly; how we can line up an out of towner racer with a single local racer (ahead of time) as their go-to person with any kind of question they may have that a local person would know? Kind of like a buddy system so the out of towner has a go-to person they can grab when something is needed. Examples would be; Who do I speak to on what time the gate opens or closes? Who do I speak to about my transponder? Who in the pits may have an axle for a 92 Acura? Does anyone have a welder? Where would I find the tech guy? There are many examples and basically it's an implied relationship of a goto person in case there is something that can be answered very quickly by a local person. Like I said, it may not work.

I believe this was the biggest event Gimli has seen in a few decades so there is bound to be quite a few areas that we can improve on and I am glad you are looking at which ones we should look at.

Thanks for all the hard work the Stewart family has done for our sport and thanks to the other volunteers too! I guess I'd be one of dem.

Jordan covered several relevant points.

Here is an additional remark I'd like to provide, since it affected myself and at least another racer. Since the beginning of the season there's a group that's been consistently loud very late in the night, in an area of the track that had been considered so far a family campground (I.e. away from the common socialization fire pit by the washrooms).

By loud I mean that not even ear plugs and a pillow over my head could cover the shouting, screaming, laughing and heavy swearing (consider again that this is a part of the campground where families camp). And, I'm typically not a light sleeper.

On Friday it got so bad that I intervened, asking for the group to quiet down at around 11:30pm. They did seem to get quiet for the rest of the night but Saturday night was loud again, late in the night. Again this has been ongoing since the beginning of the season.

While it's arguable that I might be getting old and cranky, it's generally widely accepted that any sort of loud noise is not acceptable past 10pm until 8am. We do have supplemental rules that actually ban unmuffled race cars and generators past a certain time of the evening, until the following morning. There's nothing written about general noise, I guess this is because typically people tend to be more aware that they should get quiet past a certain time.

While I don't ask the club to police such groups, it would be good to maybe remind once in a while the unwritten rules of a campground. And potentially advertise a place at the track away from the tents that people can go to, and shout and drink their face off if that's what they think they should be doing the night before a race.

JS

• 2 weeks later...

I have 30 haha. Lots have burnt out balasts.  The homeowner wouldn't didn't believe me when I said balasts burn out and have to be changed so he replaced all the lights in his shop with t8s. So I got a a pile of them. I'll try to find some with good balasts still. If you'd like more you'll have to pick up replacement balasts for the lights

Archived