Hot Laps Discussion Forum

• 2 years later...

Bumping an old thread. Looking for some information on brake pads for hot lapping. 

Picked up an Integra Type R which I plan on autocross with and doing some hot lapping. I've had Hawk HPS pads on my old GSR and they were great at autocross but I have no experience with hot lapping a lighter car and I don't think the HPS would hold up. My only lapping experience was my STI hatchback on the factory brembos and they seemed to hold up fine during HPDE but I did get them to smoke on the second day.

Hoping to get some recommendations from the guys that run lighter cars (integras, civics, miatas, ect) and what would be enough for Gimli. Based on forums, some owners say the Hawk HP+s worked for them while other Type R owners seem to be recommending the Hawk HT-10s or the Hawk DTC-60s. 

Car will get stainless steel brake lines, ATE Type 200 fluid, and will be on high performance summer tires (re-71r or similar). 

Thanks,

Assuming this is a street car, we have had great service from EBC yellows.

They take heat well, dont fade easily and have reasonable street manners without noise.

I've used them in door to door racing too with predictable performance.

1 hour ago, nopistons said:

Assuming this is a street car, we have had great service from EBC yellows.

They take heat well, dont fade easily and have reasonable street manners without noise.

I've used them in door to door racing too with predictable performance.

Thanks for the recommendation. Street car yes but I'm okay with getting some dedicated pads for the track that I can swap in/out. 

• 11 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 4:45 PM, David Klassen said:

I’ve got a number of friends interested. Now that I’ve got my hard card can I give them Hot Lapping ride-alongs to pique their interest?

Matt or Al can confirm, but I’m not aware of any issues taking a passenger for open lapping (Friday track days).  And, I agree that it would be a good way to get someone interested in our sport.

Here’s what it says in the ASN Canada FIA Lapping Regulations 2018

15. Passengers

15.1 To be eligible to participate as a passenger, a person must:

15.2 Have the consent of the organizer;

15.3 Have signed the ASN Canada FIA General Waiver;

15.4 Wear personal safety equipment as required for the driver;

15.5 Keep hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times;

15.6 Not carry items such as food, drink, cameras, video recorders, purses, etc.

15.7 Passengers may occupy the front, passenger seat only.

15.8 Participants (drivers or passengers) under the age of majority for the province in which the event is taking place must also present both a completed Parental Consent Waiver and a Minor Participant Waiver at event registration. In addition, minors participating as passengers must:

15.9 Be at least 14 years old;

15.10 Be in a vehicle being driven by their parent or legal guardian;

5 hours ago, Weebly said:

Matt or Al can confirm, but I’m not aware of any issues taking a passenger for open lapping (Friday track days).  And, I agree that it would be a good way to get someone interested in our sport.

Here’s what it says in the ASN Canada FIA Lapping Regulations 2018

Hey @Weebly in the future please use this link as a guide instead of the ASN regulations.

@David Klassen to answer your question passengers are allowed provided the driver has at minimum Green Wristband status.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, donrolandofurioso said:

In addition to David's question...if a friend wants to take his (rules-compliant) car onto the track during a hot-lap day, does he need to have a WSCC membership in addition to attending a mini-school at the track?

@donrolandofurioso Yes you need to be a current WSCC member to participate.

• 2 years later...

Your Miata ND has the factory roll hoops, which I personally would call acceptable, as they are tied together with a solid structure and are triangulated into the floor structure. While not nearly as good as an aftermarket, purpose-built rollbar, they offer some protection.

Please note that there are limits in terms of your height. If a straight bar is being placed from the top of your windshield frame to the top of your roll hoops, there must be enough clearance between your helmet and the bar that during an imagined rollover event your helmet will not touch that bar.

Edited by donrolandofurioso

6 hours ago, donrolandofurioso said:

Your Miata ND has the factory roll hoops, which I personally would call acceptable, as they are tied together with a solid structure and are triangulated into the floor structure. While not nearly as good as an aftermarket, purpose-built rollbar, they offer some protection.

Please note that there are limits in terms of your height. If a straight bar is being placed from the top of your windshield frame to the top of your roll hoops, there must be enough clearance between your helmet and the bar that during an imagined rollover event your helmet will not touch that bar.

Yea, I spent a bunch of cash lowering my seat 1.25" so that my head (w/ helmet) would be under that line.

Thanks