white_cross

1973 Celica ST (considering subframe connectors)

258 posts in this topic

On March 15, 2017 at 7:41 AM, nopistons said:

They are a flange designations and doesn't necessarily mean that the T25/T28 is "smaller" than a T3 beyond the flange bolt pattern. The "AR" of the turbine housing dictates this.

As an example, you can get a GT35 in a T3 flange with an AR of 0.63, and a GT30 in a T25/T28 flange with an AR of 0.72. The turbine housing on the GT35 is smaller and will create a faster spool in on equal engines.

This is one of the turbos I have: GT3076R

GT Garret Turbo
30 Turbine frame size and Inducer diameter
76 Compressor exducer diameter
R Ball bearing

I like this turbo for small displacement engines. Small frame (T25/T28), linear boost increase on lower displacement (~3500rpm to full boost), oil and water cooled, and has internal wastegate option. Chinese ones are new $200USD ea so if you burn one, just toss it and buy another. I have it on my Toyota 1.3L low compression 4EFTE ice racer. Worked very well. I am told, this is an upgrade for WRX/STI folks. One thing to keep in mind though is that a larger turbo at equal boost will make more HP due to larger volume of air and cooler charge. Think of a garden hose and a 2" pipe with equal pressure. One flows a lot more volume at equal pressure and duration. Make sure everything down the line of the turbo is able to take the abuse!

But anyway, after all that, for a backyard build, find one, slap it on and let it eat!

That is some use full information. This turbo stuff is new to me so a lot to wrap my head around. choosing the right parts seems most difficult, building it seems more straight forward.

I am finished the rusty stuff in the engine compartment with the exception of grinding down a few welds. So with that checked off the list I am almost done the structural rust repair and can start on the body work. It is coming along a lot quicker than I had thought. 

IMG_7182_zpslrnh8c1p.jpg

IMG_7183_zpswbetp1cw.jpg

IMG_7179_zpsfhslzxeu.jpg

IMG_7181_zpso0uwdffr.jpg

IMG_7180_zpskbkhjfta.jpg

The bottom of the strut towers on both sides along the frame rails needed the same repairs here is the passenger side:

IMG_7176_zpspsvnr9mt.jpg

IMG_7178_zpsncjvfrqx.jpg

IMG_7196_zpsselwjyco.jpg

IMG_7198_zpsg8senkje.jpg

IMG_7199_zpsy8lg0z92.jpg

I am also excited about this recent purchase. Santos Toy Shop in California provided me with a very clean rear 1/4 panel requiring just a small rust repair on the rear lower corner I hope to get the other side from him as well:

IMG_7187_zpsvg4j3ons.jpg

I stripped the paint from the rust prone areas and they are solid, amazing how a 40 plus year old car does with very little salt:

IMG_7189_zpsq5fk0ogt.jpg

The other side will not have the rocker panel portion of the rocker and i am coming up with an idea to build one. If i cut up an existing replacement rocker panel I can make it work for that portion as this photo demonstrates:

IMG_7201_zps5bkf2fza.jpg

Look up " The.speed.academy" on YouTube.

They are Putting a beams 3sge in your celica and are in Ontario. 

2 hours ago, MRS Joe said:

Look up " The.speed.academy" on YouTube.

They are Putting a beams 3sge in your celica and are in Ontario. 

I have been following it and has some help full info on the build as well.

I found an add on the local Kijiji for a 2003 wrx turbo for a good deal. So my daughter and I went for the 2 hour drive to pick it up. We got to the guys house and it was so cool he had like 6-8 nice sports car parked on his drive way (multipul wrx's, an Evo, a Carlos sans celica etc) all in nice condition. I guess he is kind of a car collector. He showed me the turbo it was mint and no shaft pay. He also had the down pipe which I intend on using for the flange and welding a new down pipe to. I asked if he had an intercooler and he took me to his back yard garage which was full of cool car parts he pulled out a front mount evo intercooler. I purchased the parts and took my daughter for supper at Half Moon at 9pm :)
IMG_7290_zpsaox11adz.jpg

I know these motors are not worth much but having a spare motor and curiosity of what the motor will make with a turbo on it has got me excited. IMG_7293_zpsvbwuahey.jpg

My daughter came to hang out with me in the garage the other day: IMG_7224_zpsisdctkqv.jpgIMG_7226_zpsqmgn7dgc.jpg

So the last section of rust repair underneath the car: IMG_7202_zpsn8lmeqlh.jpg
IMG_7203_zpslnqs61p0.jpgIMG_7213_zpsj6r6e3su.jpg

And the patch work begins:
IMG_7228_zps4yuxjlzf.jpg

At this point I remembered that I had ordered some cut out parts off a 1974 celica from different member on this forum and realized I could probably make something work. So I trimmed up this section of the 1974 floor that I had
IMG_7229_zpsrekth3sr.jpg

Started some real life "photo shop" Took the measurements and cut out the old floor: IMG_7231_zps6ltmhlkh.jpg

Then the 1974 piece got welded in place: IMG_7246_zpsuejkudef.jpg

at this point with 1972, 1973, and 1974 celica parts welded into the car I was reminded of this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM

got the inner rocker mounted up as well and was able to reuse the seat belt mounting bracket. The seat belt fits nicely too:
IMG_7279_zpsuo4iboot.jpgIMG_7278_zpsamnwulz7.jpgIMG_7276_zpsffawkjds.jpg

The middle of the rear floor pan is rusted through and needed to be fabricated due to a leaky window and standing water:
IMG_7281_zpsorekthjf.jpgIMG_7292_zps4w21fcbp.jpg

Time to disassemble for sand blasting the floors:
IMG_7248_zpsegwwrjar.jpg

Test fitting rocker panels they are going to need a little tweaking:IMG_7249_zpspra5t1zu.jpg

I have ordered Some of the parts needed for this build from Toy sport and Santos on the 1st gen celica forum.

These were my number one must have parts for this car from Toysport and Santos:
IMG_7323_zpsii5npv4h.jpg

I also got the other 1/4 panel from Santos:
IMG_7322_zpsvjwa8paa.jpg

My garage was getting full so my basement has 1/2 a car in it:
IMG_7331_zpsyfc4sztf.jpg

I also was able to get ahold of this 1985 mr2 manual steering rack someone replied to my kijiji want add: IMG_7315_zpsxmyzivgb.jpg

Cary from the 1st gen forum made up this really nice steering rack conversion bracket for me. He makes and sells this conversion bracket or the bracket and engine swap cradle. I decided to only do the steering rack. This part is such a time saver: IMG_7324_zps5pjyj74x.jpg

A little test fit with my mr2 steering rack in the bracket and a comparison of the old steering set up vs the new one:IMG_7326_zpshtj9dkbc.jpg
IMG_7327_zpsyzf5qilq.jpg
The weight of the two setups feel very similar.

I ordered a set of 1984 rwd Corolla inner and outer tie rods and they were a bit to long so I had the local machine shop cut 1.5 inches off of each outer tie rod and tap the thread as far as it could be tapped. I could not find a tap big enough locally so I had the work done for me. There was a lot of test fit remove bracket grind transmission to engine brace and repeat. Then my car being 43 years old did not fully line up on all the bolt holes so they were enlarged and one of the mounting tabs had to be cut off and welded 1/16 inch out. I don't blame Cary though as my car has been jumped and landed very hard by a previous owner at some point so things could have shifted a bit. Here is the completed install mocked up it looks very oem sitting in there:
IMG_7329_zps5ck2qxa2.jpg

3 people like this

Santos on the 1st gen forum hooked me up with some fairly workable front fenders. Finally I have a set of fenders that have a bottom not rusted away which allows me to properly fit a set of rocker panels:
IMG_7333_zpsendenulp.jpg

Something is missing, I was quite afraid to cut the rear 1/4 panel off but I ended up just going for it:
IMG_7336_zpse4ziwgs5.jpg

The rocker from wolf steel had multiple fitment issues the flat visible surface when the door is closed was very round and the celica is flat so hammered and dollied it flat. The next issue was the part where the sill plate mounts was too narrow so I cut off the 90 degree top edge and made a new one and screwed it in place:
IMG_7418_zps7vnku2dw.jpg

Then I welded it up:
IMG_7425_zpssdk8tsc4.jpg

I built a new middle rocker support out of thicker 16 gauge steel, a more simple design than oem but it is functional. Also being thicker should make it last longer against rust:
IMG_7490_zpsgutpraez.jpg

fitment of 1/4 panel, rocker panel, and door. A lot of time in getting these parts to fit any where near right like 16 hours at this point. The passenger side should be a lot quicker now that I know what I am doing. The door is from my 1972 celica which is less rusty and way lighter because it has no crash bar inside it:
IMG_7495_zpsogzoxkd4.jpg
IMG_7494_zpsby53ick2.jpg

1/4 panel fitment in trunk jambs:
IMG_7427_zpskwk0chat.jpgIMG_7428_zpsxopwvjjp.jpg

Just got my modified steering colum in the mail today from Cary the same guy who built the steering rack bracket to work with my rack and pinion:
IMG_7506_zps692wn3x2.jpg

picked up a w58 out of a MK2 P type supra and a big brake kit as well as the MK2 KYB struts. Not sure if the MK2 stuff is going to work, but if it does than I have a very affordable big brake set up for the car. I have some ideas on how to get it to all work on the car. I do plan on converting the struts up front to coil overs yet. The rear shocks have 10km on them and are from a Ford Focus, the front struts are MR2. The rotors are 12 inch Land Rover HSE re drilled to fit the supra bolt pattern, with a hub centric ring. The calipers are q45 twin piston units. I also took the MK2 brake booster and master cyl. I took a rough measurement and the booster piston and studs they are in the same location as the oem TA22 booster's. These parts all are out of an old time attack car. He said the brakes worked really good at the track. It was quite a fun adventure taking out all these parts in his back yard hoping the rain would not come and it never did. I managed to fit all the tools and these parts in the back of my FJ which sat a fist lower in the back and was down on power with all the extra weight (most people do a front end leveling kit I just go buy enough car parts to make my leveling kit happen).
IMG_7504_zpsbn9ruwbz.jpgIMG_7500_zpsmeurucex.jpgIMG_7497_zpsqjhxkhh7.jpg

1 person likes this