Safety equipment questions

AlexD

I was reading through last years regulations about some safety equipment that i"m looking into ordering right away, but I was hoping to get some clarification. Some of the points are a little vague with recommendations, but not outright requirements. To get this out of the way, I already have a current FIA certified seat, so that's not an issue. I also have a current Snell helmet.

As for the harness though, does it need to be FIA certified or SFI certified? And is there a requirement on points (5 or 6)? I'm thinking I"ll just get the 5 point 5-year FIA certified G-Force harnesses from Safe Racer, but want to know if there are other options.

Also, I was reading that a fire suit is not 100% required, but it is recommended. Which rating is recommended for this? And is there a recommendation on how many layers it is? 

This will be my first year ice racing, so discussion and help is appreciated :)

I was reading through last years regulations about some safety equipment that i"m looking into ordering right away, but I was hoping to get some clarification. Some of the points are a little vague with recommendations, but not outright requirements. To get this out of the way, I already have a current FIA certified seat, so that's not an issue. I also have a current Snell helmet.

As for the harness though, does it need to be FIA certified or SFI certified? And is there a requirement on points (5 or 6)? I'm thinking I"ll just get the 5 point 5-year FIA certified G-Force harnesses from Safe Racer, but want to know if there are other options.

Also, I was reading that a fire suit is not 100% required, but it is recommended. Which rating is recommended for this? And is there a recommendation on how many layers it is? 

This will be my first year ice racing, so discussion and help is appreciated :)

5 or 6 point FIA or SFI all good as long as they're not expired. FIA has an expiry tag SFI is 24 months from punch out dates.

Racing suit is not mandatory but strongly recommended. If you buy a suit the min SFI rating is 3/ 2 /5   (this is 10 seconds before third degree burns) add underwear 3 more seconds approx. You can get a 2 layer or 3 layer with the same rating . Both are ok. 

Classic motor works might have the belts and suits you are looking for in stock in St Andrews  Dyrk 334 2415.

Hope this helps

Al

Go with the 5 or 6 point FIA harness from safe racer.

This is what i use (6pt G-Force). they are inexpensive and have a good camlock. the belt adjuster release is good on these as well.

I just ordered mine and it took 3 days to arrive.

Pyrotect belts are archaic in feel and use and are priced out of what i would consider reasonable. i have a set of pyrotect's latch style belts and i couldn't wait for them to expire.

As far as a racing suit, get one. Get an inexpensive one piece 3 layer. It will be plenty warm on its own for ice racing. you can transfer that over to summer racing if you choose.

Thanks for the advice guys. I did a bunch of reading online and spoke with Darin a while ago in passing about the G-Force belts and it seemed the way I was going to go. Just wanted to make sure.

As for suit, If that local place has them in stock I would love to try them on before actually buying one. I was looking at the Sparco Jade suit, but it looks like it's made for tall and slender, which is the opposite of my body type haha.

Who said anything about Pyrotect Darin?  Pyrotect doesn't have FIA belts.  I bought FIA, G force, 6 point, cam lock from Dyrk. Same price as ordering them. Buy local anyday.   

I said pyrotect. It was a comparison between brands.

What's the problem?

I've got the 5pt Pyrotech latch belts from Dyrk @ Classic Motor Works, $115, SFI, they expire after 2 years.  They work fine, if price is a consideration, you are only using them for basically 2 months.  I'll probably go with the cam lock FIA next time, as I also use the ice race belts for summer road race.

http://www.classicmotorworks.citymax.com

For ice I was using insulated 100% cotton coveralls as a suit.  Something fireproof would be better, but I seem to wreck clothing, crawling around repairing, and bashing stuff.

I purchased my summer suit and gloves from the discount section of OMP online.  They clear out last years stock, discontinued, odd size, weird colour, at a discount.  I got my $800, 3 layer suit for $280, gloves for $40 a few years ago.

http://www.ompamerica.com

I've got the 5pt Pyrotech latch belts from Dyrk @ Classic Motor Works, $115, SFI, they expire after 2 years.  They work fine, if price is a consideration, you are only using them for basically 2 months.  I'll probably go with the cam lock FIA next time, as I also use the ice race belts for summer road race.

http://www.classicmotorworks.citymax.com

For ice I was using insulated 100% cotton coveralls as a suit.  Something fireproof would be better, but I seem to wreck clothing, crawling around repairing, and bashing stuff.

I purchased my summer suit and gloves from the discount section of OMP online.  They clear out last years stock, discontinued, odd size, weird colour, at a discount.  I got my $800, 3 layer suit for $280, gloves for $40 a few years ago.

http://www.ompamerica.com

Thanks for the info.

Cost isn't so much of a consideration as value. I obviously don't want to cheap out on something, but at the same time, my needs don't match a $1000 race suit :)

I think the G-Force 6-Point will be the route to go since they're certified for 5 years and go for under $200 US. The Sparco Jade suit can be had from a local (Speed Factor) for around $300 CAD and it's SFI 5 3-Layer. 

Archived