Project "Racetrac"

I know some of you are curious about what I have been working on so if any one want to check out the progress on my 88 Celica Alltrac, you can do so here http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=48784&p=457005#p457005. I will post some summary pics on here later.

I will be running the car in Street Prepared with street tires, and hopefully a few time attacks at Gimli.

current mods:

full poly suspension bushings

KYB adjustable strut inserts

lowering springs

custom turbo setup (gotta go for DSP)

3" exhaust (no point having this with a stock turbo, plus I hate the fart canon muffler)

planned mods:

17x9 +15 Wheels

255 Rivals

Coil over conversion

racing seats + harness

rear strut bar

rear lsd

93 RC edition turbo and intercooler setup

stiffer engine mounts

2.5" exhaust

baffled oil pan

oil cooler

trans cooler

I am currently working on fixing this nastyness

2013-01-19211407.jpg

Cool project. My First car was a 1986 Nissan 200sx. It had similar rust issues replaced rockers, rear rear wheel arches/bottom of quarter panels, new fenders, bottom of the doors etc. My dad and I repaired and repainted it to show room condition with a couple of extra touches. I kind of wish I still had it would like to see how it would do for auto cross.

Your project looks like it is making good progress. Keep sending updates! If you want to prevent possible body warpage from the heat of welding you can also look into gluing on the metal panels. The 70 Malibu that my dad Restored had the rear quarter panels glued on. I forget what the product was called but the strength of the bond is supposed to be as good as a weld! If you are interested I can ask him what he used. What are you thinking of for color when you are done?

I actually will be using some glue instead of fully welding the outer skins. For this season the car is just going to be primer black but I want to get it painted a nice metalic blue next winter.

The blue should look real sharp on the car, but the primer black will look real mean and intimidating with the right wheels and stance! are you going to run some wide body flares? I am a big fan of old school Japanese cars with them. I am reminded of the old Datsun 240Z cars  http://www.classicdatsun.com/new/432flares-blue1.jpg that had them and the guys who put them on the old AE86's http://www.cby.jp/hachiroku/img/p011-3.jpg

Yeah, actually was thinking of using some modified AE86 flares. It depends on how much the wheels stick out. I won't really know until I mount them and set the camber. I might be able to get away with just rolling the fenders with all the camber I plan to run but I think I might need to add flares.

Hey MRS Joe [CORRECTION - TRDTURKO] , I used to have a 1988 Celica GTS a while back.  Bought a 97 Prelude (which I still have) and now I own a 91 MR2 Turbo which is my summer daily driver.  I still have my Kaminari front bumper from my Celica if you are interested.  I thought I would offer as it looks like you're doing some body work anyway.  It's painted black and needs some minor fiberglass work but I'd let it go really cheap if you wanted to swing by to pick it up.

PS - let me know if you have any questions about the 3SGTE motor.  I've opened up a few 3S motors (MR2 Turbo's, 1991 Altrac's) and built two 5S-GTE's for myself so I know a little about them.

Cheers!

Hey MRS Joe [CORRECTION - TRDTURKO] , I used to have a 1988 Celica GTS a while back.  Bought a 97 Prelude (which I still have) and now I own a 91 MR2 Turbo which is my summer daily driver.  I still have my Kaminari front bumper from my Celica if you are interested.  I thought I would offer as it looks like you're doing some body work anyway.  It's painted black and needs some minor fiberglass work but I'd let it go really cheap if you wanted to swing by to pick it up.

PS - let me know if you have any questions about the 3SGTE motor.  I've opened up a few 3S motors (MR2 Turbo's, 1991 Altrac's) and built two 5S-GTE's for myself so I know a little about them.

Cheers!

Thanks for the invite! I can't believe you have one of those! My first car was a 88 GTS lol. Amazingly it looks like you can still buy those kits from Kaminari. I was going to just build my own front bumper from fiberglass (I am a rework tech at Boeing and am opening my own custom shop soon), but I think I will take the kaminari off you hands since its kind of what I want to do with mine. I will definitely be picking your brain about the engine since I plan on building 5sgte's for both of my Alltracs. Were you in the fall drive? I remember seeing a MR2 there.

Cheers!

Thanks for the invite! I can't believe you have one of those! My first car was a 88 GTS lol. Amazingly it looks like you can still buy those kits from Kaminari. I was going to just build my own front bumper from fiberglass (I am a rework tech at Boeing and am opening my own custom shop soon), but I think I will take the kaminari off you hands since its kind of what I want to do with mine. I will definitely be picking your brain about the engine since I plan on building 5sgte's for both of my Alltracs. Were you in the fall drive? I remember seeing a MR2 there.

$40 bucks and she's all yours.  I can email you a picture of the current condition of the bumper if you provide your email address.  

I wasn't at the fall drive but I was at gimli a few times drag racing. I hope to participate in a few autoX events this year as well as do a few hot laps at the gimli track.  Aside from that, It's the yellow MR2 with the Motion sticker in the back.  Let me know when you want to pick up the bumper and we can arrange a time.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I am guessing power will be around 250hp with 200 lbs torque. Weight won't be down much from stock since you can't remove interior in SP, plus I am adding a little bit back with oil coolers and larger intercooler ect. so around 3000 lbs. I am starting with a fairly stock engine setup and focusing on suspension for now. Once it is handling like I want then I might add more power.

no :(  unfortunately it still has a leaking brake line so I have zero brakes. That is the next thing on the list. The engine has to come out to do that since the lines go right up behind it on the fire wall and there is NO room to get in there. :wacko: Wont be done for the 17/18 weekend either so I will be in other cars for those days. Working on the car this weekend.

• 2 months later...

Operation Helmet room is done. Made brackets to relocate the sliders between the raised mounting points on the floor and lower the seat 1.25". Should help with banging my head on the sunroof support while autoxing.

IMG-20140628-00189_zpsa4c100cf.jpg

Also started on my coilover conversion, pics of that to come

• 1 month later...

Updates:

Ground control coil overs with adjustable top plates and new bigger front brakes are installed. 

IMG-20140716-00240_zps38c866de.jpg

IMG-20140707-00209_zps215f055b.jpg

engine has been out 

IMG-20140721-00258_zps72e7550b.jpg

and rusted fuel and brake lines replaced with new hard lines as well as a stainless clutch line installed. all the unused fittings in the middle were for the abs which has been removed since it was an option on these cars and I wasn't bending 6 new lines to keep it. had to go with a aftermarket proportioning valve for the rear brakes since factory ones are hard to find and stupid expensive. 

IMG-20140725-00276_zpsb2764f7b.jpg

engine is now back in with a custom intake, intercooler from a 94 GT4, manual boost controller, oil catch can, aluminum gated oil pan to prevent oil starvation (must have for hard turns on these engines), lots of added heat shields to keep under hood temps down, and a custom 2.5" exhaust with a 3" down pipe. she's not pretty but she'll do for now lol

IMG-20140819-00316_zpsf6131a9c.jpg

started it up on thursday after a grueling day of installing the exhaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FRSQmstyXs

then I went home to sleep only to have mother nature wake me up with a water fall coming from our bedroom window (basement). So instead of putting fenders on an adjusting the suspension to go racing on sunday, I was ripping up soaking wet carpet and preparing half my suite for new laminate flooring. Damn renos are killing this project.  :angry:

thanks! funny thing is I have more views on here than I do on Alltrac.net where everyone is nuts for these cars. I guess this is more of an oddity here, plus so few people actually have build threads of their race cars on these forums for some reason. 

• 3 weeks later...

break issues urrrggh! At this point the car should be drivable but of course my new braking system has issues.  

Almost everything on the car is new except for the booster and the rear calipers which I took off my other car that was sitting for years but were not causing issues when the car was parked. 

I found 3 more leaks and fixed those and the brakes seemed to bleed fine with all the air finally seeming to be out of the system and no more leaks that I can see but the pedal is still spongy and you only get pressure if you pump but then it goes away again right away. the seal between the master cylinder and the booster was still leaking so I put more gasket maker on that and it seems to be sealed. I can't hear the tell tale hiss anymore after the engine is shut off anyway. While I was waiting for that to dry I set the ride height so that there is about an inch gap above the tires and set the toe using the string method. 

So the only thing I can think to try now is different rear calipers and see if those are causing the problem unless there is a leak I have not found yet. 

Any other suggestions?

Archived