SNELL helmets and you...

nopistons

Why would you toss it??? That sucks.

If you know of any others that will be tossed, it may be useful as spares for road race. Contact Scott M if you know of any.

I tossed it because you posted 5 days ago that we can't use 2005 helmets anymore. Did I misread that? Am I mixing up the governing bodies or something?

How can a helmet be used as a spare if it has been expired? This does not make any sense. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can we get a response from the local WCMA representative to confirm what our club position is on this restrictive Snell Helmet proposal? Are changes going to be recommended?

Are all other Western clubs on board with this restrictive rule changes?

• 3 months later...

Thanks , If the label says "bicycle helmet," it needs to meet the standards of the honest Insurance companies here called Consumer Product Safety Commission. It's a law in the United States. Other standards exist (Snell's B-95 standard is even tougher than the CPSC standard). But if you're buying a bike helmet, rest assured that a low-cost helmet meets the same safety standards as a pricey, high-end helmet. Need reassurance? Look for a CPSC sticker inside the helmet.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 1:33 PM, Lori said:

Thanks , If the label says "bicycle helmet," it needs to meet the standards of the honest Insurance companies here called Consumer Product Safety Commission. It's a law in the United States. Other standards exist (Snell's B-95 standard is even tougher than the CPSC standard). But if you're buying a bike helmet, rest assured that a low-cost helmet meets the same safety standards as a pricey, high-end helmet. Need reassurance? Look for a CPSC sticker inside the helmet.

I like that robots are concerned about bicycle helmets. 

• 5 weeks later...
12 hours ago, nopistons said:

2005's are acceptable if that's what you currently have.

And if he doesn't currently have a 2005? What is acceptable then?

But srsly, I posted the 2016 ASN helmet rules (complete with a link to them on ASNs website) in the other helmet thread. Let me copypasta that here:

Hey look at this, official info from ASN Canada. http://www.asncanada.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/ASN-2016-Autoslalom-Regulations.pdf

4.5.2 Acceptable helmets:
 FIA 8860-2004
 FIA 8860-2010
 FIA 8859-2015
 Snell 2015 SA, or 2015 M
 Snell 2010 SA, 2010 SAH, or 2010 M
 Snell 2005 SA, or 2005 M (expiry 31.12.2018)
 SFI Foundation 31.1/2015
 SFI Foundation 31.1/2010
 SFI Foundation 31.1/2005 (expiry 31.12.2018)
 SFI Foundation 31.1A or 31.2A (expiry 31.12, 2015)

BUMP seeking a reply from nopistons on the quoted statement:

On 2016-04-22 at 7:18 PM, Curtis said:

And if he doesn't currently have a 2005? What is acceptable then?

But srsly, I posted the 2016 ASN helmet rules (complete with a link to them on ASNs website) in the other helmet thread. Let me copypasta that here:

Hey look at this, official info from ASN Canada. http://www.asncanada.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/ASN-2016-Autoslalom-Regulations.pdf

4.5.2 Acceptable helmets:
 FIA 8860-2004
 FIA 8860-2010
 FIA 8859-2015
 Snell 2015 SA, or 2015 M
 Snell 2010 SA, 2010 SAH, or 2010 M
 Snell 2005 SA, or 2005 M (expiry 31.12.2018)
 SFI Foundation 31.1/2015
 SFI Foundation 31.1/2010
 SFI Foundation 31.1/2005 (expiry 31.12.2018)
 SFI Foundation 31.1A or 31.2A (expiry 31.12, 2015)

• 6 months later...

Hey guys, sorry to bump an old thread. Just wanted to clarify something for myself. I just purchased a rather expensive motorcycle helmet, which should be ok for some road racing classes in Gimli? I'm moving back to Winnipeg in spring, and hoping to get into the car racing scene next year. I used to roadrace bikes up at the track there, but too old and slow for two wheelers now. :)

Thank you!

17 hours ago, SeanS111 said:

Hey guys, sorry to bump an old thread. Just wanted to clarify something for myself. I just purchased a rather expensive motorcycle helmet, which should be ok for some road racing classes in Gimli? I'm moving back to Winnipeg in spring, and hoping to get into the car racing scene next year. I used to roadrace bikes up at the track there, but too old and slow for two wheelers now. :)

Thank you!

What level of certification does it meet?  DOT is not enough.

3 minutes ago, Magner said:

Snell "SA" or "M" ?

If you plan to do any "road racing" it must be SA.

I'll double check when I get home, but chances are it's just an M rating. I'll put this one up for sale, and ask Santa for a new helmet for Christmas ;)

Thanks all! 

Archived