Magner

Car Classing Guide + Help Thread

I looking to get myself out of NYC, but there is no DM listed in Styckyd. Suggestions? Thank you.

DM-R is listed under SCCA Mixed. I beileve that would be the correct class for you.

Hey there all,

Just would like to confirm if I have picked the correct classification for my car.

2010 Ford Fusion Sport, stock suspension, oversize performance tires, CAI, tune, cat back exhaust. Looks to me like GSR.

Is this correct?

Royce

the tune and CAI would move you out of street class. What kind of tires are they? if they are DOT and have a tread wear rating of 140 or higher then you would not be in R. Sounds more like STX if its the 3.5L. R rated tires would put you in DSP

They are DOT 240 wear rating. They are Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110xl's. And it is the 3.5l AWD. I don't  see my car listed in STX?

you wouldn't. you have go to the catch all at the end of the list that says non sports cars with 3.1 to 5L NA engines. They didn't bother listing all the cars because they don't expect people to modify and race big sedans like that. those tires would be considered street tires so STX is where you would go. the ST class could use more participants anyway.

That's great. Thanks for the help. Haven't been out for a few years but I am going to try for a Sept event.

Royce

It will depend on the Tune, IIRC you have an Ecoboost V6. If your aftermarket tune increased the factory boost preasure you move up to DSP.

Guest vladj

Need help to figure out what class im in

2006 hyundai accent

coilovers

f&r strut bars

aftermarket sway bars

short shifter

aftermarket steering wheel (removed airbag)

CAI

catback exhaust

b pillar and undercarriage bracing

oversized rims and tires

180 tread wear tires

thinking about removing the rear seats but if that will put me in a different class then i wont.

Guest vladj

205\50r15. so according to the chart. if i leave the rear seat in then ill be in sts?

I believe you would be in F Street Prepared (FSP). The Accent doesn't have a class in Street Touring classes. I'm not sure about the whether B pillar braces are allowed or not. I guess it can count as a harness bar. Removing the rear seats would move you to Street Modified FWD (SMF).

205\50r15. so according to the chart. if i leave the rear seat in then ill be in sts?

How big is the wheel one tires are attached to? What was stock size of the wheel? I'm betting the chassis bracing will move you always down.

Guest vladj

Rims are 15x6.5

And stock are 14x6 185/65r14

Here is a bit of assistance for you. This isn't an official ruling or anything, just trying to help.

coilovers - ST
f&r strut bars - ST
aftermarket sway bars - ST
short shifter - ST
aftermarket steering wheel (removed airbag) - SP
CAI - ST
catback exhaust - Street
b pillar and undercarriage bracing - not sure
oversized rims and tires - ST (within limits)
180 tread wear tires - Street

Looks like you're in SP due to your steering wheel, unless the chassis bracing puts you into SM or higher. You should go through the rule book and look at all the chassis bracing rules, as I'm not very familiar with them. I believe you can have longitudinal (front-to-back) bracing but not lateral (side-to-side) bracing, so you'll have to determine what kind of bracing you have and whether it's allowed.

If you wanted to drop into ST (a slower class), you probably could if you changed back to the stock steering wheel and possibly removed the chassis bracing. Don't worry about it for now, but maybe just keep this in mind for future reference if you decide to get competitive down the road.

In the Appendix under Street Prepared, I don't see Hyundai Accent, but under FSP there is "Hyundai (all)" so that's where you would belong. If you ever dropped down into ST, then I believe you would be STF. Again the Accent isn't specifically called out in ST classes, but STF is where all Street Touring front wheel drive cars go if they are not otherwise listed.

Guest vladj

Ok guess I'll remove the braces. As for the steering wheel. The stock one was in really bad shape so I threw it out. I do have a tiburon steering wheel that I can throw on and maintain the airbag since the srs system is the same. Will that put me into STF class?

Also my rear strut brace is a triangle that connects to the floor and both strut towers. Is that allowed?

Guest vladj

Ok guess I'll remove the braces. As for the steering wheel. The stock one was in really bad shape so I threw it out. I do have a tiburon steering wheel that I can throw on and maintain the airbag since the srs system is the same. Will that put me into STF class?

Also my rear strut brace is a triangle that connects to the floor and both strut towers. Is that allowed?

Beau, I believe for a car model to be classified in any ST class (including STF), it has to be specifically stated. The Accent isn't classified in any ST class thus I think technically the only next step for it from H Street is to FSP. I guess locally we can possibly allow it in STF cause it makes sense there if the steering wheel and chassis bracing were removed/replaced with allowed components. This is not an official ruling, just a thought. A triangular strut bar as defined in section 12 of the rule book is allowed in ST classes.

Along the same line, any one interested in protesting me running light in E Mod or over CC'd in D Mod locally?

Is there such a thing as NYC at Nats?

Smarta$$ answer: Yes! It's called A-Mod (PAX = 1.00) :P

Regular answer: NYC (Not Yet Classed) is a local creation meant for first timers who have not yet figured what class their cars falls under. That being said the goals is to try to get every car appropriately classed.

Regarding the 2006 Hyundai Accent Classing...

Classing Options as follows subject to modifications:

Street: H-Street

Street Touring: STS*

Street Prepared: FSP

Street Modified: SMF

*The Accent would be classed as STS not STF for Street Touring due to this clause under STS (appendix A p.177):

"Sedans & Coupes NOC** (non-sportscar-based; 4-seat minimum; up to 3.1L normally-aspirated)"

**NOC= Not Otherwise Classed

Regarding the Steering Wheel. Steering Wheel swap are only allowed under Street Touring if the car did not come from the factory with an air bag wheel (ex: 1989 Honda Civic). If the car was equipped with the air bag as a standard feature (ex: 2006 Accent) the wheel cannot be replaced with any other wheel, even if the new wheel has an functioning air bag.

• Like 1

Guest vladj

Ok thanks. Guess I'll go hit the scrap yard for an accent steering wheel

Thanks Chris, though i didn't call you out, that was directed squarely at you. Seems my little winter project has thrown me right into never never land for classing.