Car Classing Guide + Help Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for some clarification/opinions, I drive a 2015 Regal GS and with the modifications it fits into the street touring class now being a Regal I'm looking at the catch alls and I'm not sure if STX OR STU are the right one. I think STX makes the most sense in STU it says sedans and coupes 2.0-3.1L forced induction and STX says up to 2.0L forced induction. The car has a 2.0L 4 cyl turbo, genesis and holds with 2.0L turbo are considered STX I'm pretty sure the Regal is a good amount heavier than both those cars......

45 minutes ago, rjames said:

Looking for some clarification/opinions, I drive a 2015 Regal GS and with the modifications it fits into the street touring class now being a Regal I'm looking at the catch alls and I'm not sure if STX OR STU are the right one. I think STX makes the most sense in STU it says sedans and coupes 2.0-3.1L forced induction and STX says up to 2.0L forced induction. The car has a 2.0L 4 cyl turbo, genesis and holds with 2.0L turbo are considered STX I'm pretty sure the Regal is a good amount heavier than both those cars......

Looks like you fit into both classes. Maximum tire width is the only difference. 265 in STX and 285 in STU. STX pax is obviously softer.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, piston_honda said:

Hello All, after a four year absence from autocross, I am planning an appearance this Sunday. 

I have a 2017 Honda Civic Type R and I think it is D Stock but I'm not 100% sure. I've done some searching but was unable to find anything conclusive. Is DS correct?

Thanks

Yes. I believe that it hasn't been officially classed yet but it's in DS for now.

You realize you used the word "Honda" and "goodness" in the same sentence?  Just kidding.

It'll be great to have you out in the Type R.  Hopefully you can show our two guys in their fancy-prancy 2017 Focus RS a thing or two.  Or maybe they'll see your entry and just back out!

Now, there's a challenge to those Focus folks.

11 hours ago, Brian Wiebe said:

You realize you used the word "Honda" and "goodness" in the same sentence?  Just kidding.

It'll be great to have you out in the Type R.  Hopefully you can show our two guys in their fancy-prancy 2017 Focus RS a thing or two.  Or maybe they'll see your entry and just back out!

Now, there's a challenge to those Focus folks.

LOL. I'll do my best to represent. The nut behind the wheel is a little rusty. :P

• 5 months later...

Hi Good day to all! Just want to ask if i would install a front and rear tower struts or some calls it strut bars, am i still eligible to run under street ds class? No other modification in my car also. Please and thanks!

Edited by El_torrero34

Not sure what model car this is referencing but STX does allow strut tower bars, note you can only add a tower bar with 2 attachment point. A 3 point is only allowed if you are replacing a factory oem 3 point bar, see 14.2.G in the SCCA solo rulebook for more info if this applies to you. Wheels in STX are up to 8.0 inches for AWD cars and 9.0 inches for 2wd cars (14.4 for more info).

Hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Good day to all! Had a blast with our 1st event today and nice to see familiar faces again! i got a question if anybody could help me please? i installed a lowering springs for my mini and nothing else, do i fall under stx class for it? Please and thanks!

1 hour ago, El_torrero34 said:

Hi Good day to all! Had a blast with our 1st event today and nice to see familiar faces again! i got a question if anybody could help me please? i installed a lowering springs for my mini and nothing else, do i fall under stx class for it? Please and thanks!

I'm guessing you have a 2005 Mini Cooper S? (Yr and model may vary the class). If so, changing springs will keep you in STX.

Spring are legal in all ST, SP, SM, P, M and CAM classes. The only class you CANNOT install aftermarket springs in is "Street" class.

Michelle's car is a 2012 VW Golf with the 2.5L engine (5 cylinders, 20 valves). Car is stock. I could not find where it would actually fit without using the top most catch all for SS. The car is basically a Jetta so I classed her in HS but not sure that is appropriate. Also I notice that the classing sometimes mentions the 2.5L and just that and sometimes as 2.5L 5-cyl.

10 hours ago, Shawn said:

Michelle's car is a 2012 VW Golf with the 2.5L engine (5 cylinders, 20 valves). Car is stock. I could not find where it would actually fit without using the top most catch all for SS. The car is basically a Jetta so I classed her in HS but not sure that is appropriate. Also I notice that the classing sometimes mentions the 2.5L and just that and sometimes as 2.5L 5-cyl.

I had a look on page 157 of the 2018 rule-book and noticed the same. This comes up often in SCCA fastracks updates. Not EVERY car is classed in street. there's always clarifications and model splitting going on.  With your situation it's safe to assume the they intent is to include the Golf 2.5 in HS with the "Jetta 2.5". The "Golf GTI & Jetta (16v non turbo)" line realistically should just drop the 16v verbiage to include 20v. I doubt there's many Golf 2.5L's running so his has never been brought up. I assume this 2.5L is N/A? Looks like the turbo Golf of this generation would be under GS not HS. Also is the Golf with a 2.5L available in the States too or is that a Canada only model?

15 hours ago, Magner said:

I had a look on page 157 of the 2018 rule-book and noticed the same. This comes up often in SCCA fastracks updates. Not EVERY car is classed in street. there's always clarifications and model splitting going on.  With your situation it's safe to assume the they intent is to include the Golf 2.5 in HS with the "Jetta 2.5". The "Golf GTI & Jetta (16v non turbo)" line realistically should just drop the 16v verbiage to include 20v. I doubt there's many Golf 2.5L's running so his has never been brought up. I assume this 2.5L is N/A? Looks like the turbo Golf of this generation would be under GS not HS. Also is the Golf with a 2.5L available in the States too or is that a Canada only model?

It is just a NA motor, no turbo, and it was available in the US...so it's probably just not really being run at events. It for sure is nothing to write home about but it's a decent DD.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. So i have a 2000 Forester s/tb (turbocharged) with some modifications. The car is imported from Japan, i'm unsure on what class i fall into with it since its rhd and had some add ons. any help would be great. thanks

add ons are-

06 sti suspension, full exhaust, aftermarket sway bars and end links, larger oem turbo, upgraded fuel system, turbo inlet, intercooler hoses, boost controler, custom tuning, rpf1 wheels with firestone firehawk indy 500 tires (340 tread wear) , 

interior is all factory, braking system is factory.

On 6/10/2018 at 11:00 PM, rodgeee17 said:

Hey guys. So i have a 2000 Forester s/tb (turbocharged) with some modifications. The car is imported from Japan, i'm unsure on what class i fall into with it since its rhd and had some add ons. any help would be great. thanks

add ons are-

06 sti suspension, full exhaust, aftermarket sway bars and end links, larger oem turbo, upgraded fuel system, turbo inlet, intercooler hoses, boost controler, custom tuning, rpf1 wheels with firestone firehawk indy 500 tires (340 tread wear) , 

interior is all factory, braking system is factory.

All jdm automatically goes to Street Modified. 

You will be in SM-S

With your modifications you’d end up there anyway in a nadm car