Car Classing Guide + Help Thread

Hey Dan,

Locally you have 2 choices:

1. You can run in the "proper" class (i.e. SM) with R-comps or any other tires you want. This would be in the Mixed Division. You would be subject to the "proper" SM pax of 0.870.
  2. If you are using street tires anyway (with a tread wear rating of >=140) you can compete in the Modified Street Tire Division. In that case you would be SMS with pax of 0.857. This is better for you as you gain an advantage.

The reason we have duplicate classes like this is that most of our local drivers don't bother bolting up R-comps and choosing option #1. If you travel to an autocross outside of Winnipeg, you'll likely find that #1 is the only option, so you'll be at a disadvantage if you're only running street tires.

Locally, since most of the guys just stick with street tires anyway, we created a place for them to play and still be competitive. We basically said "okay, all you guys who want to race on street tires in the higher categories, you can do so against each other but then nobody with R-comps are allowed in that division." And yes, we reduced the pax penalty on cars in this division, just so you can compare to other divisions and it would be somewhat close, or at least closer to what it should be (which is all theoretical anyway).

Now, since you're in the Novice Division, you compete against all novices regardless of division, so you could be up against SM guys with R comps and SMS guys with street tires. Your choice. If you are running street tires, you should definitely choose SMS.

I was going to PM you but it says you can't receive any new PMs.

Thanks for getting back to me about the classifications and pax factors. I had always signed up as SM but most of my times were calculated as SMS.

Turns out Event 6, 9, and 10 were calculated in SM and my pax time should actually be lower :D.

If you guys could class me proper for those ones that would be great! I'll make sure all my registrations are SMS from now on. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I just want to confirm something for Street class...

Section 13.4 says "Wheel studs, lug nuts, valve stems (including pressure-relief types), and/or bolt length may be changed."

My assumption is that the change is not limited to saying within a certain type, i.e. my car uses lug bolts so I can change to any other lug bolt, but rather I can change my lug bolts to studs and lug nuts.

Now to find lug nuts that I want. Looking to ball seat, closed end with integrated washers that fit M14x1.5 threads...not sure if they even exist...and at a price point I'm willing to pay.

Hmm ... really? There's a specific rule in SP [15.4.B] that specifically allows it. So I assume it's not legal until SP or higher.

Having said that, there's no performance advantage, so I don't think anyone here locally would protest. And probably not on the national level either, but you never know. Personally I think it's a brutal protest if it ever came up, so don't worry about it, but that's me. According to the exact wording of the rules, you might wanna double check if you're planning to go to Nats and win.

• 2 months later...

was curious on what class ill be running this up coming summer, 2000 Honda s2000, lowered on coil overs, just bought 225-50-16 re 71 r square on ap1 rear wheel square setup, front sway bar, car has aftermarket exhaust atm but will most likely be going back to stock. Any help will be appreciated

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gentleman, I'm hoping you can help me confirm my vehicle class for the upcoming 2016 season.

Vehicle: 1995 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type RA (JDM import, RHD)

Unless I'm mistaken, the fact that it's JDM and RHD immediately puts me into Street Modified?

Modifications:

6-point bolt-in roll cage w/ harness bar, 5-point harness, Feal 441 Coilover Suspension, stainless brake lines, Rear strut bar (front is stock), full turbo-back exhaust (cat retained) and EL headers, short-ram intake with cone filter, 4-point front chassis brace, 2-point rear chassis brace, manual boost controller (stock boost levels), ESL ECU mod to enable tuning of factory ECU.

Engine internals, intercooler, rad, etc. is all stock still. 

I appreciate the help in advance!

15 minutes ago, Magner said:

Assuming you didn't remove the interior for the cage this car would be classed in SM. 

Thanks for the response Magner! I should have clarified that; yes, the interior is still completely intact, with all dashboard components there and stock F&R seats. So, I would be strictly SM? Only thing that confused me was a statement in the SM section that said JDM was an exclusion.

7 hours ago, Jaarreedd said:

Thanks for the response Magner! I should have clarified that; yes, the interior is still completely intact, with all dashboard components there and stock F&R seats. So, I would be strictly SM? Only thing that confused me was a statement in the SM section that said JDM was an exclusion.

The offical SCCA rules do not allow any JDM cars in Street, Street Touring, Street Prepared, Street Modified or Prepared class groups. Officially the ONLY option for a JDM car is under Modified (usually in E-Modified). As a concession in 2013 the WSCC started to allow JDM cars to be classed in Street Modified classes as long as the cars follow all other rules listed for SM.

Your 1995 WRX STI  would be SM, either "SM-S" if you are using street tires with tread rating over 200 or "SM-R" if tire are under 200.

Hope that helps,

Last year I bought a 1977 Vw Rabbit from BC. It's had nearly 40 years of people changing things (not always for the best) and it's quite a mongrel.

I would like to bring it to a couple of Auto-X events this year, just for fun. I don't expect the car to be competitive but I've been wanting to do some autocross for a few years now and have some fun.

I started to read the SCCA rules and got to the bit regarding classifications. It's very confusing and a long read. Some of you seem very knowledgeable, so I figured it might be easier to just describe the car and let people advise. Perhaps it doesnt even matter? For the handful of events I'm likely to attend, can I just run the car unclassified?

Car is as follows, (as best I can tell)...

1977 Mk1 Rabbit (base model I believe, and had an automatic when new)

2.0lt engine swapped in from a 95 jetta, including the harness.

020 5spd box installed

Techtronics installed a 288 degree cam, a custom exhaust (the CAT if there ever was one on this car is long gone) and a chip to take advantage of it.

EK Coilovers front and rear. ( I dont beleive the dampers are adjustable, just ride height)

Some bracing on bottom of front suspension.

15x7 wheels. I think the car would have shipped with 13's or 14's. Unsure.

Dunlop Direzza DZ102 street tires.

Front seats are from a Corrado.

Steering wheel from a Sirocco I believe.

rest of interior is original.

Brakes I'm unsure what has been done.

To complete the picture, electrical is a nightmare but under control after a year of ownership, and the paint job is rough as nails. When it gets dirty I can clean it with sand paper. Will be fine.

Its a hoot to drive, not very fast at all, but you certainly feel like you are travelling. It's like riding in a green house with tinfoil doors. You can have a lot of fun at legal speeds.

Any help placing this car in a class would be appreciated. Hope to see you all this year.

mk1.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Andy. Sounds like a blast. Can't wait to see it on the track! 

I'm not the expert. If you have an engine swap, I'd guess your car is probably in Street Mod. Magne might know.

Suspension, wheels, seats and steering wheel are all minor in comparison to an engine swap, at least in terms of classing.

It doesn't "really" matter if you only come to a few events, as the car will probably end up in some crazy mod class, but it's best if you figure it out once and not have to worry about it going forward. You never know, maybe you'll fall in love with autocross and then before you know it you'll be a regular and you'll be competing for class points or maybe even rookie of the year. Trust me, once the bug bites you, you'll be hooked! It happened to me. :)

Hi!

The engine swap limits the car to Street Modified or more specifically for this rabbit, Street Mod Front Wheel Drive aka SMF.

Since you are using street tires with a tread rating over 200 you would fall under the SMF-S (Street Tire) grouping with the majority of other Street Mod competitors.

Looks like fantastic car for autocross, I'm sure you will enjoy. Welcome to SMF-S!

Thank you for the quick answer. Much better than trawling through the regs. Is the car going to run afoul of this rule....

Engine block (or housings of rotary engines) must be a production unit manufactured and badged the same as the original standard or optional engine for that model.

The engine is from a 20 year younger jetta. Never available in a mk1.

Not that I care too much honestly. I'll put the car in whatever class I need to just to go and have some fun. I don't see anyone getting upset that I'm breaking the rules if I'm rolling in 15 seconds slower than everyone else!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyt11 said:

Thank you for the quick answer. Much better than trawling through the regs. Is the car going to run afoul of this rule....

Engine block (or housings of rotary engines) must be a production unit manufactured and badged the same as the original standard or optional engine for that model.

The engine is from a 20 year younger jetta. Never available in a mk1.

Not that I care too much honestly. I'll put the car in whatever class I need to just to go and have some fun. I don't see anyone getting upset that I'm breaking the rules if I'm rolling in 15 seconds slower than everyone else!

For street mod the engine just has to be from the same manufacturer. IE a VW engine in a VW chassis. For example we have a MR2 running a V6 and a Corolla running a 20V. So you are good. Just can't have a Honda or Chevy ect in your rabbit. Cheers and have fun momentum driving the heck out of that thing.

So along the same line, I am hoping to later in the year be racing the 2001 Audi TT that my brother an I are putting back together. It has a BBK, upgraded Haldex contoller, updated suspension bits like bushings and control arms, etc. But the big thing is it will be running a non-stock engine. Basically it is the stock 1.8T block stroked to be 2.0 with new internals. The head is also stock but getting some upgraded springs, valves, retainers, port job but keeps the stock cams. The engine will have stand-alone engine management. Also on street class eligible tires.

My assumption that it would be in mod.

And my goal is to class my S4 in some class that is grouped with the TT's class for the championship point standings.

The head work and stroked short block limit that Audi TT to Street Mod. If it's AWD class it in SM-S, if it's FWD class it in SMF-S.

As for your S4, classing it in ASP-S would allow you to apply all points to the Mod Group season point standings.

Page 185 of the 2016 SCCA Rule book, Appendix A (ASP)
  Audi
           A4 (2008-16)
           S4  (2000-03)
           S4 (2010-16) & S5 (2013-16)

Might have been ESP in prior years, I think they reorganized ESP a few years ago moving most of the Turbo or AWD cars to ASP.

On 3/31/2016 at 4:35 PM, andyt11 said:

Last year I bought a 1977 Vw Rabbit from BC. It's had nearly 40 years of people changing things (not always for the best) and it's quite a mongrel.

mk1.jpg

This is fantastic! I'm big VW/Audi fan. I tried to get a vanity plate that said MMMMVAG but they said no...I guess some people just don't like the brand. 8-)

Hey Guys,
A quick question for you.  Whom do I need to speak with to get my car ok'd for racing?  I have a 2015 Fiat Turbo which is among the excluded list.  However it's lowered(Well parts are on route in fact).  I would rather get the OK prior to spending money on the registration if I can swing it.  Like the VW above, i'm not looking to be competitive but would love the chance to open the little hatch up legally and have a day or 2 of good fun.

1 hour ago, DarthFIAT said:

Hey Guys,
A quick question for you.  Whom do I need to speak with to get my car ok'd for racing?  I have a 2015 Fiat Turbo which is among the excluded list.  However it's lowered(Well parts are on route in fact).  I would rather get the OK prior to spending money on the registration if I can swing it.  Like the VW above, i'm not looking to be competitive but would love the chance to open the little hatch up legally and have a day or 2 of good fun.

you should be fine as long as you can prove the car is now lower than it is wide. the Abarthe should be a good reference for legality (one of those has been racing with us for a while). Lowering would put you into the Street Touring class though.

On 4/3/2016 at 4:21 PM, Magner said:

Page 185 of the 2016 SCCA Rule book, Appendix A (ASP)
  Audi
           A4 (2008-16)
           S4  (2000-03)
           S4 (2010-16) & S5 (2013-16)

Might have been ESP in prior years, I think they reorganized ESP a few years ago moving most of the Turbo or AWD cars to ASP.

Looks like they added it this year. Last year my car was covered under the catch-all for ESP...and I bought magnets to match. Boooooooooooo.

8 hours ago, DarthFIAT said:

Hey Guys,

It is each competitors responsibility to ensure their cars meets the minimum safety requirement prior to running an event.

All Fiat 500's (exception Abarth models) are explicitly bared from competition for stability concerns. If a competitor wishes to use such a vehicle for competition they must be able to demonstrate to officials the vehicle complies with the minimum rules outlined in section 3.1 of the SCCA rule book:

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/013/596/2016-3-24_Solo_Rules_reduced.pdf?1458855434

The car's track width MUST be wider than the talest point on the car.

A quick review shows a FIAT 500 Track width as 55.4" front and 55" rear with a height of 59.8". This would require significant modification to meet the MINIMUM requirements.

2 hours ago, NKG8 said:

Hi i'm new to this,  i have a 2009 Pontiac G8 with a cold air intake and front strut bar.  What should i class this vehicle as?

Hi! Your 2009 G8 would be classed in our Street Touring group under a new class for 2016 called STP (Street Touring Pony). It's intended for all the muscle cars, mustang, camaro, charger, G8 etc. Sounds like a perfect fit.