2014 SCCA National Events

Magner

Here's my 2014 Solo Nats report: This is the first year that the Rotax DD2 has been allowed to run and I was the first person to try it. The kart makes 34 hp and has only 2 gears vs the 40+ hp and 6 gears of a shifter kart. This makes me an underdog but after running the kart against these guys, I have some theories. My biggest disadvantage is the start, I have a centrifugal clutch and there is no revving up the engine and dumping the clutch so I lose a ton of time at the start. Watch my video 

and you can see the difference. On the east course, there was a little longer run up before the start lights and my kart just hits the powerband as I cross the lights. Also, there was a lot more speed change on the east course and most people felt that my lack of power and gears would hurt me more on the east course than the west course, which was much more speed maintenance. However, 6 speed karts lose a lot of actual time shifting, and I lose almost no time shifting because of my no-lift-shift feature (I'm the only kart allowed to run it). I finished day 1 (east course) in 8th spot and was thrilled. After looking over the data, I realized that I didn't have the right gears in the kart and could have been quicker if I had swapped gear clusters.

On the west course, the start was shorter and I wasn't into the powerband until well after the timer had started. Checking the stopwatch, I was slower than other karts by at least one second before even getting to the first turn. I actually drove better on the west course but once up to speed, I just left it in 2nd gear and drove the course until the last turn where I went down to 1st. This kind of speed maintenance means that the 6 speeds aren't shifting that much, either, so my quick shifting advantage is erased. I finished in 15 which was a little disappointing but at the same time, I beat 17 shifter karts,which is awesome and a lot better than I did last year. The paddle shifters, torquey engine and longer wheelbase of my kart should give me an advantage if it rains and I think a course that is really busy with steering input and shifting will also give me a shot at the trophies. The kart was the most fun I have ever had on an autocross course and I can't wait to go back.

Archived