Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Committee to address issues and opportunities raised at 2013 AGM

Recommended Posts

At the WSCC Annual General Meeting on November 21st, the following motion was put forward:Motion: “To form a committee to investigate the improvement of cooperation between all disciplines and the executive within the WSCC with a recommendation to be reviewed by the executive and then presented to the members for a vote.” Motion by: Corey Dyck, 2nd by: Henri Marcoux. Majority in Favour, None opposed. Motion Passes.Yeah, it's pretty vague, but it's what the whole group settled on after much deliberation. Continue reading to learn what it actually means...The motion was put forward in order to address a number of issues that have been of growing concern for WSCC executives and members alike. These issues are not necessarily unique to the WSCC and are likely experienced by many clubs of our size.

  • It is difficult to find volunteers willing to take on club executive positions. Two key positions remained vacant after the AGM.
  • Certain executive positions, to be done right, require more time than is reasonable to expect from the average volunteer.
  • General meeting attendance has been low. The club failed to reach quorum (10% of members) at many of the 2013 general meetings. Even the AGM, for which members were offered $10 to show up, only attracted 11% of membership. This problem poses a direct threat to the club's ability to conduct business.
Those who heard our President's speech at the club banquet this year are aware that some members believe that a lack of participation from autoslalomers, in particular, may be contributing disproportionately to issues 1 and 3. Looking strictly at the numbers, this seems to be a reasonable assertion: Autoslalom drivers make up around 50% of membership but filled only two of the 10 non-director executive positions this year (President and Steward). And of the 8-10 non-exec members who show up to general meetings, usually only one or two of them are autoslalomers. This is an observation worth addressing.This committee, as per the motion, will be tasked with proposing a solution to the above problems. I, Jeff Janzen, volunteered to chair the committee.One option put forward for discussion by members of this year's Autoslalom Team is to divide the club into two separate entities, forming a new club to serve Manitoba's autoslalom participants while all other disciplines remain under the WSCC. This topic generated a lot of discussion (and emotion) at the AGM, and will discussed in detail by the committee.I intend to start with a kickoff meeting, likely several hours in length, to start the discussion and subsequently form one or more smaller working groups to develop one or more proposals.All members are welcome to join the committee. Please indicate your interest in this thread if you wish to join and I will update the list below. Include your name in your post.Respond by Saturday, December 14.Committee Members:Jeff J. (Chair)Corey D.Beau M.Peter G.Scott M.David G.Henri M.Wayne S.Darin W.Doug W.Art S.Sarah W.Chris D.Johnny V.Jeff C.Joe P.Claudio Z.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to be there. Art Schroeder. 1537.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see a less cooperation and more antagonism between disciplines and the executive. Can the committee be expanded to look into this as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnny suggested starting a sub-forum for this discussion, so we're going to do that. Perhaps we can get some of the facts out in the open that way so that our first meeting results in more productive dialogue. Only those on the committee will have access, so speak up if you want to join the conversation.I'll send an email to everyone on the list when that forum goes live.Within the forum, I'll start one topic to start discussing the issues we've been tasked with, and another topic to plan our first meeting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for joining the committee, everyone. I'll send an email regarding our first meeting shortly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing has happened yet (partly due to forum troubles, and partly due to the committee chair being heavily involved in wedding planning and other priorities). We were trying to get a private forum going but vb5 is not cooperating.I apologize for being so silent about it. I hope nobody is worried that there is discussion going on without them.Once I'm back from holidays I'll be kicking myself into gear on WSCC work, and we'll get a discussion going then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...