SAI AS1698 Helmet Rating for Autocross

themikewoo

The helmet rules for Solo can be found here:http://www.asncanada.com/ASN_Solospo...0Standards.pdfFor AutoSlalom its:Snell 2010 M, SA or SAHSnell 2005 M or SASnell 2000 M or SA (both will expire Dec 31, 2014)Some FIA, SFI & BSI helmets (check the link for types)Note: the M rated helmets are not acceptable if your vehicle is equipped with a roll cage, racing slicks, or is classified as Modified.********Looking at getting a helmet for the significant other as a Christmas gift. Found one that I know she will like but the ratings are as follows:All World standard meets or exceeds the following – DOT FMVSS 218 (US ), ECE 22-05 (EUROPE), SAI AS1698 (AUSTRALIA) & SG (JAPAN) safety and testing standards. (Does not ship with SAI or SG Certification stickers unless purchased from an authorized dealer in that country)No Snell, no SA, but there is SAI. Google did not help me very much.I am wondering if this helmet is legal and/or if anyone cares?

All World standard meets or exceeds the following – DOT FMVSS 218 (US ), ECE 22-05 (EUROPE), SAI AS1698 (AUSTRALIA) & SG (JAPAN) safety and testing standards. (Does not ship with SAI or SG Certification stickers unless purchased from an authorized dealer in that country)No Snell, no SA, but there is SAI. Google did not help me very much.I am wondering if this helmet is legal and/or if anyone cares?

Snell is the rating, the M and the SA are Motorcycle and Special Application. The SA is basically for multiple impacts, which they deem a requirement for certain vehicles (and for road racing). I'm not up on my standards, so I don't know if the ones listed for the helmet you are looking at are equivalent, but I think you need to have one of listed approvals (insurance requirement for us to hold events).

No Snell, no SA, but there is SAI. Google did not help me very much.

I believe SAI is the Australia standard, similar to the DOT standard, as used in North America. Looks to be a basic motorcycle helmet, with the same rating as what's available at Canadian Tire (DOT). Not a helmet for autoracin', sorry.SA is also fireproof and will have a yellow chip strap.

I believe SAI is the Australia standard' date=' similar to the DOT standard, as used in North America. Looks to be a basic motorcycle helmet, with the same rating as what's available at Canadian Tire (DOT). Not a helmet for autoracin', sorry.SA is also fireproof and will have a yellow chip strap.[/quote']Thank you for replying.Think I will have to give up on the helmet and look for another. Shame because my girlfriend has a tattoo very similar to the helmet design. It was an Icon helmet btw.

Vinyl. Any pattern can be cut, but it takes some skill and patience to get anything much bigger than your palm to not wrinkle on the compound curves of a helmet. (see Jeff J. for the skill part, he's good at vinyl AND driving)Or if you want to get really fancy, get a stencil made and paint it yourself. It doesn't need to be automotive quality! I've hand cut vinyl for fairly simple things by hand before.

Archived