• Announcements

• Jim Eh.

2017 Annual Banquet   10/12/2017

Saturday Octobre 28th Clarion Hotel 1445 Portage ave.  https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Clarion+Hotel+%26+Suites/@49.8818764,-97.1980597,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x52ea7381e7cf9c6d:0x95f65dafca26e11e!8m2!3d49.881873!4d-97.195871?hl=en   Be there or be square!
Sign in to follow this  
VelocityChris

Baby steps towards Manitoba Rally

Hi everyone,We continue to make progress in developing our rally program. But to be honest, these are still baby steps. I believe that it will take a couple of years and some good luck to make it all work for us. If we keep at it, though, I see good futures.We had a couple of ice driving events where we made use of the track that the Ice Race guys had set up. That was excellent, even if I lost the nose of my TT in the process. Now it is easy to spot me with my silver body, black nose car.This spring we have been discussing how to get some kind of stage rally or rallyX event going. Maybe even a TSD. A stage rally is definitely the most exciting but also the most challenging to pull off. This is it because it takes several weeks of preparation and many people. From planning the routes to organizing volunteers, to taping off areas to safety marshalling. And then there are the people who actually manage and time the competitors. I think we would need to be able to rely on at least 20 volunteers to help us on a day.We unfortunately live in a province of gridded out roadways, so long, twisty areas are a bit of a drive for us. Our rally director, Dr. Henri Marcoux, and I have done a little scouting up in the Belair/Hillside/Victoria Beach area and there are some interesting possibilities on the quad trails and we are going to see if we can get an event scheduled up there, maybe in September once it is quieter after summer. There would be an opportunity for a RallyX there and something of a 'stage' event, although it may be a restricted speed event. There are only a few prepared vehicles in the province so we need an event that will offer spirited driving on interesting terrain, but at speeds that would allow street vehicles to participate, without requiring roll cages. We are exploring all of that. If it doesn't work for September, we would work towards spring 2014 on this one. Baby steps. As I just posted in another thread, we are also going to be helping out at the Ojibwe Forest Rally near Fargo on August 23-24. Please, if you are interested in making rally a reality in Manitoba, try to make it to this event to help us learn how to do things well.Henri is also looking into a possible TSD rally for us as well.I am also considering going out to the 'Sport Car Olympics' http://www.qcma.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=21&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0which is held near Regina on October 5-6 and includes a TSD rally, Rally X and a Autoslalom series of events. Sounds like fun!If you are at all interested in any of this, please keep posting to this forum and make yourself known to us. This can only work with several people stepping up. I believe that this will take time as we all have limited time. I have an 8- and 6-year old with a zillion activities on their own. I also have limited funds for prepping a car. I figure it will be easily next year or 2015 before I have the TT properly prepared in the most basic of senses. But that is fine. I would rather build a strong team over time rather than flash-in-the-pan. My goal for racing Targa Newfoundland in the TT is a 10-year goal and I am in year 2! I hope that you are interested.If we actually pull off the September event, I will be ecstatic. We managed to get a couple of events in the winter, maybe we will be able to do a summer/fall event, too!CheersChris

I would be very interested in doing rallyx events if they were offered. And I would eventually like to do targa newfoundland as well some day. Keep up the good work Chris. I enjoyed the school on the ice track.

Hi everyone,I would like to get involved in organizing a rally x in south east Manitoba. I'd like to gauge interest before starting the process though. To make an event work would require about 25 to 30 drivers.Just a little about myself, as I'm sure no one here knows me and are probably thinking, who the heck is this guy?I just moved back from B.C. where I was involved in rally racing in several ways. In 2007, I joined the Prescribed Burn Rally Team, an amateur team from Kelowna B.C. that fielded a Frankenstein Impreza in Western Canadian and Canadian Rally Championships, as the service crew chief. I have volunteered at several regional and national rally events, both TSD and Stage rally. In 2008, along with several friends, brought stage rally to the Okanagan, starting with a test day, and moving into rally x, which then turned into a successful regional stage rally, called the Big White Winter Rally.I am excited to get involved in rally race again and hope we can start an event soon. I have several areas in south east Mb to look at for possibly venues to run a rally x.

Hi everyone' date='I would like to get involved in organizing a rally x in south east Manitoba. I'd like to gauge interest before starting the process though. To make an event work would require about 25 to 30 drivers.Just a little about myself, as I'm sure no one here knows me and are probably thinking, who the heck is this guy?I just moved back from B.C. where I was involved in rally racing in several ways. In 2007, I joined the Prescribed Burn Rally Team, an amateur team from Kelowna B.C. that fielded a Frankenstein Impreza in Western Canadian and Canadian Rally Championships, as the service crew chief. I have volunteered at several regional and national rally events, both TSD and Stage rally. In 2008, along with several friends, brought stage rally to the Okanagan, starting with a test day, and moving into rally x, which then turned into a successful regional stage rally, called the Big White Winter Rally.I am excited to get involved in rally race again and hope we can start an event soon. I have several areas in south east Mb to look at for possibly venues to run a rally x.[/quote']Hi DaveHOur club will be holding our monthly meeting this Thursday at 8 pm. The location is 654 Erin Street (The Irish Club, 2nd floor). You are welcome to attend and talk about this topic. If you can make it, please email me (go to our website, Contact, Club president) and I will set aside a few minutes for your topic. As club president, I am excited to hear from people like you and I am most eager to see our club bring back some rally activities. Thanks for doing this.Peter G.