• Announcements

• Jim Eh.

2017 Annual Banquet   10/12/2017

Saturday Octobre 28th Clarion Hotel 1445 Portage ave.  https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Clarion+Hotel+%26+Suites/@49.8818764,-97.1980597,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x52ea7381e7cf9c6d:0x95f65dafca26e11e!8m2!3d49.881873!4d-97.195871?hl=en   Be there or be square!
Sign in to follow this  
84TurboSupra

Anyone new wanting to try Time Attack?

To head off any questions and clear up misunderstandings about what is required to compete in a Time Attack event for those who haven't before but are interested here is what you need:-A helmetFIA 8860-2004Snell SA 2000 (expiry date December 31, 2014)Snell SA 2005Snell SA 2010SFI 31.ASFI 31.2ABS6658-85 type A/FR (expires Dec 31, 2013)A Snell 2000M (expiry date: December 31, 2014) 2010M, or 2005M rated helmet is also acceptable foruse in all classes except Modified and provided the car is not equipped with a roll cage- A road safe carTime Attack cars are self tech inspected so as long as your car is safe and has functional lights, brakes, etc. you are good to go. No roll cages, racing belts, race suit etc. are required (though they are encouraged).NOTE: Convertibles are not allowed unless they have full roll bars. Trucks and SUVs which are higher than they are wide are also not allowed. The WCMA rules go into more detail on this.-A WCMA Solosport LicenseThe only requirements for this is completion of the HPDE school, $20 and sending the form to WCMA. Hopefully I will have the 2013 forms soon.$100 entrance fee per eventAlso, please bring closed toed shoes and long pants.Let me know if you have any questions

How long is a HPDE session good for to get a time attack licence?

I'm assuming if we did HPDE last year we don't have to do it again this year to apply for a license?

As long as you keep renewing it every year, you don't have to take the school again. I haven't taken HPDE for a few years now, but I've been renewing my solo license every year.

I did not get my license last year after taking the hpde but I can still refer to that school when applying for my license this year correct? But it is my understanding that it would not be valid if I left it another year.

As long as you keep renewing it every year' date=' you don't have to take the school again. I haven't taken HPDE for a few years now, but I've been renewing my solo license every year.[/quote']In addition to this, I thought you had to be on track at least once every other year to keep your license valid. Simply renewing it was not enough. If you haven't been on track in more than 2 consecutive seasons you will likely need to redo the HPDE.

As long as you keep renewing it every year' date=' you don't have to take the school again. I haven't taken HPDE for a few years now, but I've been renewing my solo license every year.[/quote']Is it true that you need to re-register every year to keep "active" in order to avoid taking another school if you wanted to race in 2-3 years from now?

Is it true that you need to re-register every year to keep "active" in order to avoid taking another school if you wanted to race in 2-3 years from now?

I've just been renewing my solo license every year. I've only taken the HPDE once like, 7 years ago. (though I have been attending SoloSprint every year)You do have to send in the prior year's license each year when you renew to keep it active. So if you have nothing to show for it when you try to apply/renew, the WCMA might not accept it.

needing to renew yearly sounds off to me.

License RequirementsBasic License -- INFO: Gail TernerCompleted and signed Competition license application form Copy of current provincial drivers licenseCheque or money order in the amount of $45.00 payable to WCMA.Original or photocopy of your VALID Club Membership Card (originals will be laminated onto the back of your WCMA license - photocopies will not be returned).Picture -- head and shoulders -- black and white or colour (passport size).Additional $35.00 late processing fee if making application within 7 days of event you wish to compete in.Note that some clubs require proof of completion of an ice race school before accepting Basic license holders ice race entries.

looks like it's up to club discretion. WCMA doesn't seem to care. Link: http://www.wcma.ca/competition_licenses.htmedit: actually that's some reading comprehension failure, since it's ice specifically. But, I'm still fairly positive that it's up to the club itself if you qualify for the license.

Ok, I have heard back from the new WCMA Solosport director. He says that if you have taken the race school or competed in any events in the last 2 years you are eligible for a Time Attack license. The new license application will be uploaded soon.

I am wanting to get out on the road course next year in my Mustang. Is time attack the best option for me? How long do tires and brakes last out there? I have a set of tires I have been using for autocross they are Dunlop Z2's 

I am wanting to get out on the road course next year in my Mustang. Is time attack the best option for me? How long do tires and brakes last out there? I have a set of tires I have been using for autocross they are Dunlop Z2's 

If you want to go fast, time attack is for you. But that equals more tires and brakes. I usually go through a set of brakes and tires a year. Autocross is a drop in the bucket compared to time attack. If your serious about track time, I would find an extra set of rims and tires. My $1000 dollar tires (last year) lasted equally as long as my $100 (this year) el cheapo kijiji finds. Save your good stuff for autocross and street driving.

Today I was just reminded to bring an extra set of front pads and rotors as well. My front rotor cracked and half my day was done.

• Like 1

If you can run a square set up that will allow you to rotate tires, do it. Your front right tire will take most of the wear & tear so if you can rotate it, you will get a lot more life out of your tires.

The wear rate of your brakes & tires also depends on how much power and how heavy your car is. I was able to do a ton of laps in the S2000 and E46 M3 before experiencing excessive wear, but the GT-R was a whole different story. 20-25 laps is all it took before my front right tire had very noticeable wear.

I hate to knock on GMP because it's all we have, but the truth is that the surface is a cheese grater. Expect to have more tire wear than you think you will.

Having said that, time attack will give you the rush of raw speed that auto-x will never be able give you while still being relatively safe. I was able to hit 216km/h down the front straight... I'll never get even close to that at auto-x. And with the exception of the last turn, GMP has lots of run-off areas so even if you screw up, some grass on your hood will be your only punishment.

I would highly suggest going for the HPDE school in the spring... it will give you tons of exposure to the track, you'll learn lots and you'll know for sure if time attack is something you want to continue doing.

• Like 1

the guardrail is gone and so is the danger of old corner 8 or new corner 9.

You will use more brakes and tires as your skill progresses and the more comfortable you become with the track and the car.

Truthfully, a good set of tires and a good set of brakes should last the entire season on a decently speedy car.

Tire wear is an issue as stated above...however; appropriate car setup and tire pressures will help alleviate the wear on the front right tire.

Brake setup; choice of pad and rotor (such as drilled and slotted or solid) will dictate how much wear you have.

For example: Drilled and slotted rotors will provide better stopping power but with increased wear.

...you have to find the balance of your pocket book, setup and skill.

• Like 1

Everyone here basically said what I was going to about tires and brakes.  If you want to Time Attack you need to take the HPDE school in the spring and send away for your license.  Another option to get on the track is the Friday lapping days, you don't need a license and there is more track time.  Time Attack has timing, the lapping doesn't.  I like the structure and less traffic of Time Attack (a set number of laps with fewer cars on the track).

• Like 1

Thanks for the help with my questions guys. I am interested in the HPDE School sounds like a great and fun opportunity. I am kind of curious to see how fast the Mach 1 will get on the straight. On the Mach 1 forum they say is is capable of 150mph. I found the youtube video from 2013 school it looked like a good experience. What is the format and cost for this school? How much track vs class time will we get. I looked for a link on the forum for the school but had no luck. I also am running my stock pads and rotors is that going to work for the school? I have an extra set of rims/tires (DUNLIP Z2) that I use for competition such as autocross. It may sound silly but I grew up playing Gran Turismo since the first version came out on PS1 and have bought and played almost every version of it it since, and have all ways wanted to try the real deal on a road course. My dream track to run laps on someday would be Leguna Seca.

Top speeds on the front straight by seasoned drivers in high powered cars are in the 200-220kph range.

I've pushed high powered corvettes into the 150+mph range but with a lot of effort and high risk.

Driving quick on the track is more involved than just top end speed!

If you want more info, you can email the road race director and he can help you out.

The best thing you can do for your car if you are taking the school is make sure it is well maintained.

Get the oil changed

make sure all your fluids are topped up

bleed the brakes and/or change the fluid

Make sure your brake pads/rotors are newer...for the school, stock units are just fine

Make sure your tires are in good shape, no cracks and not worn down to the wear bars before you arrive. Sticky tires are better but not in anyway needed.

• Like 1

Top speeds on the front straight by seasoned drivers in high powered cars are in the 200-220kph range.

I've pushed high powered corvettes into the 150+mph range but with a lot of effort and high risk.

Driving quick on the track is more involved than just top end speed!

If you want more info, you can email the road race director and he can help you out.

The best thing you can do for your car if you are taking the school is make sure it is well maintained.

Get the oil changed

make sure all your fluids are topped up

bleed the brakes and/or change the fluid

Make sure your brake pads/rotors are newer...for the school, stock units are just fine

Make sure your tires are in good shape, no cracks and not worn down to the wear bars before you arrive. Sticky tires are better but not in anyway needed.

Thats good to know thank you for the help. I will get these things ready for next spring.

Aftermarket mechanical temp gauges are a valuable asset with racing. especially with older cars. Very important with mustangs. Because they never work properly. A few years ago my rad boiled over with no clue as that was going to happen. The temp gauge needle was at o of "normal" on the gauge. It's also nice to see that your engine is actually cooling down on the cool down lap and in the pits.