Sup Regs for Gimli Mar 2/3 2013

Sup regs for Gimli Ice Race March 2/3 2013 In order to race at Gimli for 2 days we need to control the track degradation.We now know how long it takes to rut the track . Last event took 50 minutes of race time. Five races equals 6" ruts . Cars were bottoming out. This is unsafe. This problem would cancel Sundays Enduro races and possibly hurt someone. Studded tires changes for Gimli March 2/3 2013 Krause puck style All competitors using the Krause pucks style tires shall grind the head of the screw down to the bottom of the slot keeping the 6 sided shape. See attachment. Some screws slot might be lower than the minimum height of 5mm so grind it as flat as possible leaving minimal slot. Make a clear effort to show that the slot is as shallow as possible. The head of the screw will be ground flat. Minimal slot visible. Clear effort.Flat means Flat. Not V shaped, pointed or concave. Flat. Not rounding off the edge will be important as those are the traction edges. The maximum height from the bottom of the flange of the screw will be 5mm . See attachmentIf making new tires please maintain the same stud count per tire that you would normaly use in other words dont add 20 more studs as this would change the results. Bolts 1/4 bolts with 5mm protruding from top of nut. Purchased tires Menards, Lindorfer or rally ice tires all with 5mm maximum protrusion.Enduro For the studded Enduro all cars that meet any of the tire stud requirements above will be allowed to race. Big Picture To equalize traction between purchased tires and home made tires. Equalizing traction by adjusting stud height on the home made tires . Impossible to adjust the other way must be done by controling home made tires.Please use the same style of traction ie: screws, bolts or whatever you planned on using for the 2013 season. No swapping from screws to bolts. If need to please check with me first . We have to look at the rest of the 2013 season as a learning experience for 2014 season as these new stud rules will be in place for 2014 with possible changes. This sport is growing and traction will always be an issue let try to make this work. It's for our own safety. Al MarcouxIce Race Director

Seems a shame to grind off the fancy part of those expensive screws.Just as an aside... The ruts seem to be killing tires on our rubber class car. Our siped tires have huge chunks missing, one has the entire tread surface ground off. I think they catch the sharp edges of the ice within the ruts. I expect all 5 will be completely done by the end of one season.

From the perspective of a rubber class ice racer - The ruts caused by the unlimited studs is killing the track! It is unfortunate, however after 3 or 4 races the track was so so bad in Blumenort that cars were being damaged and the hairpin was ridiculous. If that was Gimlli there wouldn't be a hope for Sunday racing. I believe the first step is to gain concensus on whether or not this is acceptable and whether things should continue as is. If we can agree that this is a problem that threatens whether we can maintain a full race weekend then we need to address it somehow. I believe Al's recommendation is both fair and will likely address the track damage issue and ensure everyone will be able to race safely all weekend. If someone disagrees with the ice director's recomendation then I believe they also need to present other solutions to this problem as we cannot afford to race with 6" ruts and it is not fair to all the rubber racers to have their weekend cut short because the track was destroyed by unlimited studs.-Just hoping we all go racing....

Don't know if there is any way we can encourage the studded drivers to vary their line slightly when the ruts start to develop. In Blumenort I was having to avoid the ruts after the 3rd race already because I was bottoming out. My oil pan looks like I took a hammer to it. I agree that it sucks to have to grind down studs, but anything we can do to make the track last and keep it safe is worth it.It was kind of backward at Water-ski Park this weekend. The corners stayed relatively rut free but the straights were starting to get rutted by the end. Usually its the corners that are the first to develop bad ruts.

Archived