Winter vehicle discussion

jasonpank

Purely for entertainment purposes, I have a question. Say you had $5,000 to spend on a winter vehicle that meets the following criteria:Fun (already have a 4wd truck/tow vehicle)Street legal4 wheelsAWDSeats at least fourManual transmissionI think that covers everything. Basically looking for a winter beater. Suggestions?

Since it has to be awd there are very few options. The easiest one to find would be an older WRX. More rare to find would be a Celica Alltrac (more commonly known as a GTfour), there were also a few civic wagons with awd, and some mazda 323 hatchbacks as well. My vote goes for the Alltrac but I am a bit biased. :P though I would never drive my 4th gen in the winter. It is far too rare. So it would have to be a 5th gen 90-93.

I had a Jeep Cherokee that was all those things and was awesome. Reliable, cheep to maintain, small enough that parking was no problem and would go through anything. Having said that, it was stolen and written off and my next Cherokee was a couple of years newer and was a piece of junk.

A cheap old beater pickup truck or Jeep would fit your criteria. Not the most fun though.I really like an old Subaru Impreza or Legacy for a beater car, but I'm not sure if you can find a Turbo version of either for under 5k, unless you want to drive a really old JDM (right hand drive) version. Should be able to find a normally aspirated sedan or maybe a wagon. If it was a family car and not modified, it should be fairly reliable. A lot of WRX and STi owners seem to like to modify their cars with BOVs and intakes and other stuff like that, which can lead to engine problems. So I'd stay away from modified cars if you can, unless you know the owner and trust what he's done. Since you're looking for a winter beater, you don't really need 200+ hp with the turbo models. Although it's nice to have, it may be less reliable in the long run.I drove an NA Impreza wagon a few winters ago for about a month. I was surprised just how much I liked it. I didn't really miss the hp because it doesn't take much power to break loose the tires on snow. The wagon was really nice for useability too. If I ever buy a RWD summer sports car, I will likely grab an old Subaru wagon for my winter beater.

I go for a Toyota Tercel or Corolla AWD. You could get a decent one for much less than $5000 and put the rest into go fast goodies for the summer toy.Not 100% sure about the Corolla but i know the Tercel had "low" range with the manual transmission so in the spring, you could go mudbogging with it. I have friends who actually did!

Carlin's old forester was a blast in winter! higher enough up to clear the snow, and the soft sprung suspension (compared to impreza's) made it good over the bumpy snow and ruts. drifted like a king yet was sedate when needed. the 2.5l engine had lots of grunt in the lower gears for moving around in snow (little slow in summer when there is lots of grip) and more than room for any type groceries and winter toys in the back. if i was gonna get a winter beater that would probably be it. his was a 98 i believePosted Image

There's always the DSM cars. I had a Talon that I wound up selling for around that price several years ago. It was fun in the winter and could go through more than you'd think (even thou it was pretty low). I've heard they aren't reliable, but I had 270k when I sold it and it was pretty good to me.

I go for a Toyota Tercel or Corolla AWD. You could get a decent one for much less than $5000 and put the rest into go fast goodies for the summer toy.Not 100% sure about the Corolla but i know the Tercel had "low" range with the manual transmission so in the spring' date=' you could go mudbogging with it. I have friends who actually did![/quote']The tercel is the only one with low range. As they were mid 80's Its hard to find a clean one cheap. Id find a 88-92 5 speed corolla alltrac (the sedans are rare but out there). If you want fun, the 20v 4age bolts into it and you have 160hp 8k screamer with factory itb's, and reliability to boot. 2200lbs. Fuel economy. The rear end is a ae86 LSD equipped unit

The tercel is the only one with low range. As they were mid 80's Its hard to find a clean one cheap. Id find a 88-92 5 speed corolla alltrac (the sedans are rare but out there). If you want fun' date=' the 20v 4age bolts into it and you have 160hp 8k screamer with factory itb's, and reliability to boot. 2200lbs. Fuel economy. The rear end is a ae86 LSD equipped unit[/quote']I had an 84 tercel hb that I put a 20v silvertop into. Car burnt in a fire 4 yrs ago. Still have the engine and computer tho.

The perfect choice:http://www.mpi.mb.ca/salvage/SlvgItmImg.asp?salenm=2539&itemnm=346All it takes is a day off work.

Also it takes a miracle not to overpay to end up buying it for as much as one without hail damage. The crowds are messing with any small guy who comes in for a car. Its sucks to sit there for the day to not end up with it as your already taking a vacation day so you end up impulsively bidding more.nopistons - As for the 20v, time to find something to put it into.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived