Direzza ZII

90RioGS

Looks like my RS-3s aren't going to last the season (shoulders are getting killed on my narrow rims) so I'm debating between Rivals and ZII's now too. Would jump on the Rival immediately if not for the wet weather reports' date=' and don't like the sound of sketchy breakaway on the ZII's (I actually noticed this on the back of Joe's car - felt a little funny).Oh, what to do...#firstworldproblems[/quote']Remember, they say 50 runs before the z2 falls into its zone. I'm confident that the twitchyness will subside as the tires get worn in. Also may be my alignment as I barely have any toe in, I was relying on the active toe on compression.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear Tim. :(

Remember' date=' they say 50 runs before the z2 falls into its zone. I'm confident that the twitchyness will subside as the tires get worn in. Also may be my alignment as I barely have any toe in, I was relying on the active toe on compression.[/quote']Yeah that's a common comment about the zII. Maybe it's evidence they would benefit from a shave. The shave would also help the heat tolerance like it did for the old magic 195 Toyo.The article also mentioned the ZIIs for the test were new and the results might have been more favorable with worn in ZIIs. Time will tell.

So to summarize;Rivals - great for hot but sketchy for wetZII - overall good but needs to be broken inRE-11A - just like old model? expensive?RS3 - like rivals and needs a lot of heat to work?

The RE-11A's are actually priced cheaper than the previous model.

So to summarize;Rivals - great for anything dry hot or cold but maybe sketchy for the wet based on a few accounts. Bolt on and go affair. ZII - overall good but needs to be broken in' date=' might need some fine tuning to get it optimized. Old Z1 Start Spec - No the best at anything but scores well in everything. RE-11A - just like old model?? Cheaper than the old RE-11, similar prices to the competition. Allegedly very composed but very little feedback thus far. RS3 - One trick pony, optimized for hot, dry conditions, outside of that it's not the best. AD08- $$$$$, offers great feedback, good in the rain or cold but not as quick as other brands. XS - Cheap, likes hot dry conditions only. Sketchy in anything else. RT615-K. The obsolete dinosaur in this segment. Lacks grip, lacks heat tolerance and wet weather performance. [/quote']A very generalized summary

Yeah right now I am leaning more towards the RE-11A because of the fact that the other two are having problems. Will be buying in several months so hopefully there is more information. I need these tires to be my summer daily as well as race tires.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of guys are running the Rivals down here in the States. Some are on ZIIs as well. Only a very few guys are still running the RS-3s, but one of them won his class (STX). Toyos are still popular on the small, light cars as well.Anecdotal evidence leads me to believe that the Rival is the tire to have this year. Just not in the rain. ZII is probably best in the rain. RS-3 is probably right with them for very hot days (aka not for us in Wpg unless you definitely have a codriver). Toyos appear to be only good on small cars.Those are just my observations.

Mounted my BS RE-11As on Thursday. Autocross today. 6 runs on a 50 second course. Dusty concrete parking lot surface. The first few runs (and 100+ km drive to Red Deer) I think would have taken most of the release agent off.I have run Dunlop Starspec and Hankook RS-3 in the past and my car was always a touch loose even with the front end set to full stiff. With the RE-11A, after a few runs, I found the car was pushing all over the place. It was weird. The back end felt quite planted and the front end understeered. It was weird behavior I have not experienced in my S2K. Kind of like a FWD. Could be related to the "newness" of the tires.I started softening the front bar and shocks and experienced less understeer but it was noticeably there. I may try the next event with the front end at full soft to see what happens. Weird.

Mounted my BS RE-11As on Thursday. Autocross today. 6 runs on a 50 second course. Dusty concrete parking lot surface. The first few runs (and 100+ km drive to Red Deer) I think would have taken most of the release agent off.I have run Dunlop Starspec and Hankook RS-3 in the past and my car was always a touch loose even with the front end set to full stiff. With the RE-11A' date=' after a few runs, I found the car was pushing all over the place. It was weird. The back end felt quite planted and the front end understeered. It was weird behavior I have not experienced in my S2K. Kind of like a FWD. Could be related to the "newness" of the tires.I started softening the front bar and shocks and experienced less understeer but it was noticeably there. I may try the next event with the front end at full soft to see what happens. Weird.[/quote']The new z2 is the same way. You need 50 runs for them to settle in. Wait a bit before messing with the car.

• 1 month later...

Archived