Pembina Parcel Service Gone Downhill?

Looking for others opinions...I started with Hetty when she just used her porch and had 2 metal shelving units to store packages (which i continuously filled up at least half of one).I always enjoyed going there to see the business grow.It just seems, the new owners are treating it more of a strict business and the "service" portion of it has lost its luster. The people who own or run it are impersonal and flat out rude.I understand that for the most part, it is a business but the reason i went in the first place is the informal atmosphere, personal service and found myself doing more chatting with the employees than i did assembling my hoard of packages.My latest experience i had last night resulted in implied accusations of "stealing" from the owners, essentially because the owners can't count and their system creates duplicate entries in which they can't discern. After i counted each package in front of them counting out loud, they opened and removed contents from each package assuming or implying that i put one box in another to conceal it to pay less. It took someone else to point out that there were duplicate entries and that infact my count and subsequently their count, matched.Other rude comments flung from their mouths such as "make yourself useful and grab these" because I was in the hangar with full intentions to help with my 20pkgs and he did not want me there (even though the front desk told me to be in the hangar).I am not impressed (read: Pissed off) and do not intend to continue use of their service. I went and chatted with Mike (mike's hardware) and he had mentioned that some of PPS clientele are moving over to the other 3 vendors with similar concerns.Boo-erns! :(

I've never used them myself, but went with a friend shortly after they moved out to the airport (which is down a gravel road, another con against them IMO). The service was very slow, and they missed a package to boot (partially my friend's fault, but he was picking up stuff for his wife and didn't know how many boxes should have been there).There's several other places like Mike's that have popped up in Pembina that I'd use before PPS. That being said I still use Menke's, the service is worth the drive for me.

+1 for Menkes. They're disorganized but they're nice people.

It's a controlled chaos. Somehow they always know exactly where all of my packages are.The only downside is always remembering to bring cash, but I still use them because they've never done me wrong.

I've used PPS for a few years and have always been very happy with them in the past. Hetty and her son (I think) have always given me great service. Having said that, I haven't used them since they moved to the airport and hearing these stories makes me want to look into alternatives.

I used PPS once; didn't like the restrictive hours, higher cost, and a long hunt for my parts. That was about 3-4 years ago. Menkes is good, but I've had to hunt for parts before. I REALLY like that they can ship stuff out. Good people too!

I've always used Menke's and am happy with the service. It's a little further to drive to Neche' date=' but I come back thru the Pembina crossing to avoid the turds that man the Gretna station.[/quote']Ditto here even the part about the turds... It's actually much closer for me than Pembina is.

I use Menkes. Never a bad experience there. I think they would even make you lunch they are always so pleasant. As for the border, only used Gretna twice. Never a problem in either direction other than the fact that due to construction and the wind blowing cones over I almost came back into Canada through the US holding garage...oops. With what I presume are new buildings on both sides, the Customs folks were quite pleasant, chatty even. Or, maybe I just got lucky.

Went with a friend to Pembina Parcel today. It's on a gravel road and I suppose you can drive slowly but on the way back some local in a beat up truck went blazing past in the opposite direction, spraying us with rocks. Not a concern if you have a car you don't care about. I didn't see anything that would make me switch from Menkes.

Menkes couldn't find a package today. Pretty minor as I have another trip scheduled. Had some issues at the Gretna border. The guy could not believe that there was a US snowboard manufacturer (Donek BTW) - he thought I was trying to dodge duty charges. He wouldn't look on the net or at the board, he just kept asking me the same question like he was trying to catch in a lie. I'm done with the Canadian side of Gretna.

I've only used Menkes. All good except my last trip, where they couldn't find my main package. Partially my fault as the only info I had was my name and the state it was shipped from. Went back home thinking it must not have been delivered yet for some reason, got the tracking number for the seller the next day and found it had indeed been delivered a week prior. Anyways, they did end up finding it and a friend picked it up for me so it all ended well.

Menkes couldn't find a package today. Pretty minor as I have another trip scheduled. Had some issues at the Gretna border. The guy could not believe that there was a US snowboard manufacturer (Donek BTW) - he thought I was trying to dodge duty charges. He wouldn't look on the net or at the board' date=' he just kept asking me the same question like he was trying to catch in a lie. I'm done with the Canadian side of Gretna.[/quote']I had a situation at Gretna when I bought the knockoff mugen hardtop for my car. The guy wouldn't believe what I paid for it and tried to scare me into admitting that I was lying or something. Was really awkward, but I guess that's their job. I think I might start going to pembina to cross back even if I pick up at menkes. It's not worth the harassment.

Had a surprise run to PPS today (kids shipment showed up). Stopped by there about 5:30 and only Joe Dirt was there. Found the package quick, no issues. First time to the new location, yeah the gravel sucks. On the flip side, loading large packages should now be easier than anywhere else.

On the flip side' date=' loading large packages should now be easier than anywhere else.[/quote']Why is that? Menke's has a forklift, I've never had to use it but I would expect it would make loading large packages very easy.

When I was there, a Bison driver with a 53' trailer did a 180 to park on the paved concrete airport ramp and walked in to get his stuff. With that kind of room, I would suspect loading any kind of shipment would be a snap.

When I was there' date=' a Bison driver with a 53' trailer did a 180 to park on the paved concrete airport ramp and walked in to get his stuff. With that kind of room, I would suspect loading any kind of shipment would be a snap.[/quote']Ah, gotcha. The back alley would be a bit tight if you had a trailer.

With respect to Menke's, if I have left something there for a while, or I have multiple packages, a quick call to let them know you are coming will help them get your packages together ahead of time!I think they use the forklift for moving things on pallets suck as engines etc...

Archived