Studded tire build help for endurance race

Cody

Hi Everyone,Im looking to make a set of studded tires this week, and just looking for a few opinions and tips from people who have had success with them. Im pretty sure im gonna be running bolts. Is it necessary to run shaved tires or can you use tires with some tread on them? Also, necessary to run the nylon pucks? or can you get away with a washer on both sides? Also silicone or windshield adhesive? I wanna stay away from the tire slime as its water based and dont want a rusty mess on the inside. How many studs per tire? I dont wanna go overkill and have the tire weigh a ton. Im also welded, so if I can finish the day with both axles, that would be a bonus. My thought was to use either 1/4 or 5/16 bolts and use the head as traction with a washer on the inside and outside. I had also thought about running a nyloc nut on the outside and sharpening the end of the bolt. Im not looking take home the checker or anything, but want something that will be reliable and hold air until the finish line. Opinions please,Thanks!!

Hey Cody,I'd be happy to explain what we do when we use nylon pucks with motorcycle racing screws but I have not experimented with other methods. You don't need to shave your tires. More rubber will keep the tire stronger and will cause less failures. I don't have spare nylon pucks but I do have some used motorcycle racing screws if you need it. I use approximately 15 studs per foot in my tires but that will depend a lot on the type of screw you end up using.Pedro

Hey Cody' date='I'd be happy to explain what we do when we use nylon pucks with motorcycle racing screws but I have not experimented with other methods. You don't need to shave your tires. More rubber will keep the tire stronger and will cause less failures. I don't have spare nylon pucks but I do have some used motorcycle racing screws if you need it. I use approximately 15 studs per foot in my tires but that will depend a lot on the type of screw you end up using.Pedro[/quote']What brand of screws did we use to run Pedro? Are they Kold Kutters? And if so what length and head height? Thanx! Colin

Hey Cody' date='I'd be happy to explain what we do when we use nylon pucks with motorcycle racing screws but I have not experimented with other methods. You don't need to shave your tires. More rubber will keep the tire stronger and will cause less failures. I don't have spare nylon pucks but I do have some used motorcycle racing screws if you need it. I use approximately 15 studs per foot in my tires but that will depend a lot on the type of screw you end up using.Pedro[/quote']That would be great! do you have enough to build a full set of tires? I am planning on coming to Winnipeg on Wednesday evening, I could stop by and pick them up.Does anyone have nylon pucks, or know where to get them?

Archived