Project E-Mod MGB-GT

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is at the wheels. I would like to say that I took it on the road and stomped on it and it felt super fast and stable, but that would be breaking traffic laws so I can't say that. ;) I am still having fuel pressure and carb troubles so I'm crossing my fingers that they don't crop up and ruin my first events.

Holy crap! I'm on Jalopnic! Today was corner balance and alignment day. I put the car on the scales with 170 lbs in the drivers seat to simulate my race weight and pressed the cross weight button on the scales. I had a bit of wedge with 49% of the weight on the left front and right rear tires' date=' and 51% on the right front and left rear tires. This was easily corrected by shortening the pushrods on the right front and left rear tires, which reduced the amount of weight they were pushing down. Here's a picture of the results:[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/loosecannon/MGB-GT/IMG_6152.jpgSave the calculations, my total weight is 2353 including driver and the balance is 53% front, 47% rear. Once that was done, it was on to the alignment. The Jaguar front suspension resembles a typical 70's GM front suspension in that you just have to add shims to the top A-arm to get the desired camber and caster. I added shims to each side to get -2.17 degrees camber on both sides. Then I turned the tie rods to get a total toe of .14". The rear suspension needed just half a turn on the passenger side bars to get it squared up with the front. I'm ready for some autocrossing.Posted Image

I hope nobody is expecting me to set the course on fire in my first event. There are bugs to be worked out and I need to take it easy at first to make sure I don't tear something off on the bumps. Odds are that something will not work as it's supposed to.

I expect dominatiion! ;)I think it'll be quick right out of the box, and you're going to spend years tuning it to get it doing exactly what you want. Heck, my double-adjustable shocks still confuse me 2 years later!

I expect dominatiion! ;)I think it'll be quick right out of the box' date=' and you're going to spend years tuning it to get it doing exactly what you want. Heck, my double-adjustable shocks still confuse me 2 years later![/quote']I have enough suspension adjustability to keep a technophile happy for years to come ;) I hope my initial settings are not too far off but when I think of how I took motorcycle shocks, home made rocker arms and unconventional 4 link suspension, it seems unlikely that it's all going to work together. Oh well, it looks good even if it's slow.

I hope nobody is expecting me to set the course on fire in my first event. There are bugs to be worked out and I need to take it easy at first to make sure I don't tear something off on the bumps. Odds are that something will not work as it's supposed to.

either way, should be interesting to watch :D

Nice weight distribution!That puts you about 500lbs overweight for EM' date=' doesn't it? How much does your competition tip the scales at?[/quote']1st place car last year was 1850 lbs, 2nd place was 2550 lbs. Average weight of trophy winners was 2000 lbs. I could get down to the minimum weight if I sacrificed reliability and the ability to do lapping days. A smaller diff, smaller rad, smaller brakes and smaller wheels would chop hundreds of pounds off without even changing to a lighter engine, but the car would be a one-trick pony and could break at any moment. I think I have a chance to do well at Nats but the top spot is not likely unless JK breaks or cones all his runs.

1st place car last year was 1850 lbs' date=' 2nd place was 2550 lbs. Average weight of trophy winners was 2000 lbs. I could get down to the minimum weight if I sacrificed reliability and the ability to do lapping days. A smaller diff, smaller rad, smaller brakes and smaller wheels would chop hundreds of pounds off without even changing to a lighter engine, but the car would be a one-trick pony and could break at any moment. I think I have a chance to do well at Nats but the top spot is not likely unless JK breaks or cones all his runs.[/quote']Nice, at least there's hope for a trophy.

Not sure how the groups will be divided yet. The pre-registration numbers are pretty low so far' date=' so I'll have to see a little closer to the event if any particular grouping makes sense.[/quote']There's pre-registration? Where's the link?

Not sure how the groups will be divided yet. The pre-registration numbers are pretty low so far' date=' so I'll have to see a little closer to the event if any particular grouping makes sense.[/quote']Is there a way to send an e-mail to everyone from last year's membership list and remind them with a link that we start this weekend? Last year (and the year before) we'd generally have about 25-35 people pre-registered (and I'm not sure but I think about 10-15 were season passes?) so don't sweat it that you only have 17 now....it will go up if the weather is nice

Is there a way to send an e-mail to everyone from last year's membership list and remind them with a link that we start this weekend? Last year (and the year before) we'd generally have about 25-35 people pre-registered (and I'm not sure but I think about 10-15 were season passes?) so don't sweat it that you only have 17 now....it will go up if the weather is nice

E-mail sent to all our members ... 2011 and 2010.Last year we had 8 season passes and a very dysfunctional DLB. No season passes this year and DLB is fully functional.

Well, I think the Pink Panther performed better than expected. The handling is awesome although the amount of engine braking when you chop the throttle is startling, the rear tires just stop moving as quick as the car. I didnt find the unassisted steering difficult but Briget did. The power was way down and we think it is fuel pressure related. The regulator would not hold a steady 3 psi, it would fluctuate between 0 and 7 psi. Then it developed a previously unknown coolant and oil leak and that's why we only did two runs each. Another weird thing was after a couple of runs, the engine would stall when we hit the brakes, even with the clutch pushed in. Perhaps related to the fuel pressure problem. But , as I said, it handles far, far better than expected so it's going to be awesome when I sort the engine out.

I was amazed how it danced through the c box. Your suspension is sweet. You should be very proud.

I am, thanks :). My apologies to the course workers where I knocked down cones, with the car not running right, I was reluctant to lift.

Archived