Project E-Mod MGB-GT

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny how things turn around. I just got a catalog from XKS Unlimited http://store.xks.com/ and they had a Pertronix conversion kit listed for the V12 AND were open Saturdays. I called and the part was on special for $146.00 and is plug and play, it replaces all the problem Jaguar parts. I had it overnight expressed so maybe I will make my dyno appointment after all.

I too have had people shake their heads and walk away when we show up at Races. I have tried or use most of the things that you are, and I follow your build with interest as you come up with the most unique solutions to the same issues that I have had over the years. We run a Ford plate with a GM disc in our old car, and it works fine, Centerforce now makes one like this. Plus you are going to be surprised at how well the rear spoiler and the spliter work once you are up to speed. All I can say is you must be working on this beast 24/7 to make the progress that you have made. I can hardly wait to hear how it performs. Now it's off to the shop to see if I can make mine run, Fuel pump issues grrrr.BrianCanoe B.C.TE=conebasher;199075]Just a quick list of things people have told me why the car will not work, I guess I should give up now:1.The engine will never fit in an MGB2.The triangulated 4 link suspension will not work3.There isn't enough plenum volume in the new intakes and they will not work4.The Ford clutch and GM pressure plate will not work together5.The car will be dangerous and undriveable without sway bars6.You need bias slicks, not radial slicks to make the car work7.The tires you are using will never work because they are meant for a Formula Atlantic8.The engine is too heavy and underpowered9.The radiator isn't a dual pass and won't cool the engine10.The MGB steering rack won't work with the Jaguar suspension

I too have had people shake their heads and walk away when we show up at Races. I have tried or use most of the things that you are' date=' and I follow your build with interest as you come up with the most unique solutions to the same issues that I have had over the years. We run a Ford plate with a GM disc in our old car, and it works fine, Centerforce now makes one like this. Plus you are going to be surprised at how well the rear spoiler and the spliter work once you are up to speed. All I can say is you must be working on this beast 24/7 to make the progress that you have made. I can hardly wait to hear how it performs. Now it's off to the shop to see if I can make mine run, Fuel pump issues grrrr.BrianCanoe B.C.TE=conebasher;199075']Just a quick list of things people have told me why the car will not work, I guess I should give up now:1.The engine will never fit in an MGB2.The triangulated 4 link suspension will not work3.There isn't enough plenum volume in the new intakes and they will not work4.The Ford clutch and GM pressure plate will not work together5.The car will be dangerous and undriveable without sway bars6.You need bias slicks, not radial slicks to make the car work7.The tires you are using will never work because they are meant for a Formula Atlantic8.The engine is too heavy and underpowered9.The radiator isn't a dual pass and won't cool the engine10.The MGB steering rack won't work with the Jaguar suspension
Thanks Brian, I hope my car performs as well as yours and maybe someday look as good as yours. I don't work 24 hours a day but I try to use every minute as efficient as possible. Many who see the rear spoiler and diffuser say the angles are too steep and will act like a brake, but I remind them that I need the aero bits to work well at 45 mph, not 145 mph.

We tossed around many ideas for graphics and wanted something unique and tied into the Britishness of the car or the Jaguar V12. Briget sketched out the leaping Jaguar on the side of the car and it occured to her that the Jaguar is also called a Panther, and it wasn't a big leap to "Pink Panther" so here is the graphics of the car. There are a few details missing but you get the idea.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Had my second dyno session today. With no other changes, the new intakes made about 30 more hp and with some timing advance the car made 290 hp at 6023 rpm and 288.5 ft/lbs at 3765 rpm. The hp peak is 600 rpm higher and the torque peak is 400 rpm lower than before. Here is the video:

Archived