Project E-Mod MGB-GT

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got some high tech heat reflective tiles from www.fasttoys.net and installed them in the area where my side pipes run so hopefully I don't bubble the paint on the door sills.Posted ImagePut the rad in with the lightened top mount:Posted ImageI put aluminum mesh where the taillights used to be so now air from the rear wheelwells will be evacuated straight out the back-and they look really cool!Posted ImagePosted Image

The transmission tunnel and shifter are installed. The 11 holes I drilled in it brings the total to 429 lightening holes:Posted ImageRear spoiler is on and I had to do a bunch of trimming to keep it from scratching the paint.Posted ImageThe fuel line is plumbed and the rear deck panels riveted on:Posted ImageI installed both seats and they are comfy as long as you are shorter than 5' 10" and smaller than 170 lbs:Posted Image

I am making major changes to the intake manifolds to gain some performance. The first picture is the stock configuration for the carbs. The air goes through the carb and the liquid heated intake, makes a 90 degree up, then another 90 agree left and into the engine:Posted ImageThe modification involves eliminating the liquid heated part, moving the carbs up and also getting rid of the two 90 degree bends, like in this pic:Posted ImageThese beautiful billet aluminum blocks were made by JRS Manufacturing and involved 18 hours of computer modeling and more hours on a CNC milling machine:Posted ImageThey will be welded to the intake manifolds:Posted Image

The intakes came back from JRS manufacturing www.jrstephenson.com today and after some cleaning up with a die grinder, I shot a coat of paint on them and did a trial fitting on the car. The good news is that the linkage will not have to be modified much to fit and the great news is that the hood doesn't have to be modified at all to fit.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I love the pre colouring on the exhaust shields! Car looks great' date=' and those intake manifolds look so much better for air flow. Are you putting it on the dyno again?[/quote']Yes, but first I need to get the new manifold gaskets I ordered. It does look like it will be better, I hope it is. In the meantime, I am going to try to get Lexan windows in.

Just a quick list of things people have told me why the car will not work, I guess I should give up now:1.The engine will never fit in an MGB2.The triangulated 4 link suspension will not work3.There isn't enough plenum volume in the new intakes and they will not work4.The Ford clutch and GM pressure plate will not work together5.The car will be dangerous and undriveable without sway bars6.You need bias slicks, not radial slicks to make the car work7.The tires you are using will never work because they are meant for a Formula Atlantic8.The engine is too heavy and underpowered9.The radiator isn't a dual pass and won't cool the engine10.The MGB steering rack won't work with the Jaguar suspension

Just a quick list of things people have told me why the car will not work' date=' I guess I should give up now:...[/quote']Haha, I recall someone starting a thread for S2000 excuses. :P;) I think it got deleted or lost in the big wpg-autox board crash.Regardless of being competitive or not with Kiesel's monster Sprite, this thing should be an absolute riot on the track! One thing I thought of: If the worst happens and it needs to be pushed - where can volunteers push on the body? It would suck to buckle sheet metal after something minor like an electrical fault.

i'm lovin this monster.any plans for the rear spoiler? i"M thinking it would complete the car if you got it powdercoated white...
I debated painting the spoiler white but couldn't decide for certain if it would be better' date=' so I decided to leave it for now.
Haha' date=' I recall someone starting a thread for S2000 excuses. :P;) I think it got deleted or lost in the big wpg-autox board crash.Regardless of being competitive or not with Kiesel's monster Sprite, this thing should be an absolute riot on the track! One thing I thought of: If the worst happens and it needs to be pushed - where can volunteers push on the body? It would suck to buckle sheet metal after something minor like an electrical fault.[/quote']Maybe I should put "Push Here" stickers in the right place? ;) Seriously though, I would think pushing on the area around where the taillights would be would be fine, just avoid the aluminum mesh inserts.

One thing I thought of: If the worst happens and it needs to be pushed - where can volunteers push on the body? It would suck to buckle sheet metal after something minor like an electrical fault.

hmm. I made a quick little MSPaint Death Race 2000'esque depiction of potential issues with the rear spoiler while trying to push the car..but maybe it was a little racy and in poor taste. no harm was intended- just having a little fun with the wing. :)

I figured out a way to have a front tow hook. If I need it, I just have to slide it under the splitter, through a slot in the air dam mount and to a bracket bolted to the crossmember where it is held in with a sheer pin. It is not attached until needed.Posted ImageI also put all the Lexan windows in, using MGB seals on the front and back windows and sunroof seals on the side windows and the sunroof.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Its fantastic. I can't wait to see it and hear it run.

Me too! ;) I have to add some block off plates to the intakes, make the fuel lines pretty then I think it's running. I have a dyno appointment next week so it's going to have to be gone through to make sure everything is good for then. I can't wait to drive it.

looks amazing!!you've probably already thought of this, but one thing to consider is light reflection problems off the aluminum/sheetmetal trim as the sun comes through the sunroof and the front window. hopefully you're not getting a tonne of reflection right in your eyes...can't wait to see the dyno numbers with the new carb setup!! will you be revving it out to 6000+ rpm this time?

looks amazing!!you've probably already thought of this' date=' but one thing to consider is light reflection problems off the aluminum/sheetmetal trim as the sun comes through the sunroof and the front window. hopefully you're not getting a tonne of reflection right in your eyes...can't wait to see the dyno numbers with the new carb setup!! will you be revving it out to 6000+ rpm this time?[/quote']I have concerns about reflections but am goingto wait until I actually have a problem before I address it. I plan on revving to 6500 this time.

I had concerns about water flooding the air cleaners and heat from the exhaust manifolds being sucked into the engine so today I made heat/water shields. Of course, when I get my dream ram air system made, these will get yanked out. Notice also that the throttle linkage has been modified and re-installed and the coil and fuel pressure regulator have been moved to better locations.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Archived