Project E-Mod MGB-GT

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to put a diffuser in the car but there is no room under the 16 gallon fuel cell to fit one. I got a 5 gallon cell and installed it so I can also fit a rear diffuser. As a bonus, switching to the smaller cell dropped nearly 30 lbs off the back of the car. Here are the two cells:Posted ImageInstalled in the car:Posted ImageWith all the covers, vent and fuel filler tubes in place:Posted ImageIt's a sump style cell so even the smallest amount of fuel will still get to the pump:Posted Image

I looked at a lot of tech articles on rear diffusers and there are a lot of opinions on angles, sizes, distance from the ground and effectiveness on different shapes of cars. I did my best to put all that together into one design of rear diffuser. I made the measurements for the rear diffuser and built it to the maximum of SCCA rules but it sure looks big on the car. Posted ImageThe front spoiler arrived today and I bolted it on, but it's going to need some trimming and a grille to look right.Posted Image

I bought a grille and when I went to fit it, I discovered that the opening was all wrong because the fenders were not positioned correctly. Once I had the grille in the proper place, I built a single lower aluminum plate and two top aluminum straps to hold it in place.Posted ImagePosted ImageAnd Richard Navin from the MG Experience forum (MGB246) came all the way from Grimsby, Ontario to see the car so I gave him a ride, here's the video, not sure why the audio is so poor:

My endplates were too big so I trimmed them and think it looks better now. I added adjustable struts to the back and now the boot lid can be opened without unbolting the spoiler. I also didn't want an ugly spoiler lip up front so I took a page from the Toyota GT-ONE race car and put an air dam behind the regular spoiler and it can keep the air out from under the car without "spoiling" the look of the spoiler. The last pic is the front of the car with the spoiler and air dam installed-it's invisible, right?Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

All the aero devices look great, and I'm sure that you will have fun playing around with the angle of the rear wing now that you have that option! Front splitter is as you say, pretty much invisible. I can't believe you started this beast just over 6 months ago! Great work!

All the aero devices look great' date=' and I'm sure that you will have fun playing around with the angle of the rear wing now that you have that option! Front splitter is as you say, pretty much invisible. I can't believe you started this beast just over 6 months ago! Great work![/quote']Thanks :) I have to build and fit a splitter yet and am debating materials to use. Aluminum will look pretty until it's hit a cone so I want to use fiberglass or carbon fiber covered balsa wood, problem is balsa wood isn't available locally in the size I need. Smaller sizes for making model airplanes, yes, 6'x2'x1/4" no. Edit: I found a local supplier for this stuff: http://www.ippnet.com/sign-a-display-materials/dibond.html

FYI - dibond is a decent option for durability, but it's pretty heavy. On the bright side.. probably a lot cheaper than balsa/CF.I often wonder if a 15lb spoiler really makes you faster at 60-80kph. Have you found evidence, Mark?

FYI - dibond is a decent option for durability' date=' but it's pretty heavy. On the bright side.. probably a lot cheaper than balsa/CF.I often wonder if a 15lb spoiler really makes you faster at 60-80kph. Have you found evidence, Mark?[/quote']It's a tough call because there are so many variables. On my 911, the car was noticeably more stable at 60 mph but at 40 mph I couldn't tell the difference. That being said, there are a lot of people at Nationals who do everything possible to shave off a few pounds and I can't see them adding a splitter if it didn't work. Whatever I do will be easily removeable so I can do back to back tests.

FYI - dibond is a decent option for durability' date=' but it's pretty heavy. On the bright side.. probably a lot cheaper than balsa/CF.I often wonder if a 15lb spoiler really makes you faster at 60-80kph. Have you found evidence, Mark?[/quote']I would suspect that people at nationals feel the few seconds they spend at higher end speeds give them more advantage than the extra weight penalty at lower speeds. It would be an interesting test for someone to conduct in a controlled environment.

...?? Mark was out driving an unfinished' date=' unlicensed car with no windows or heater out on the winter streets in fat racing slicks?[/quote']Ya... I may have neglected to mention that it was on a flatbed. :)Does look pretty "BadAss" though with the giant spoiler, diffuser, and slicks.

Ya... I may have neglected to mention that it was on a flatbed. :)Does look pretty "BadAss" though with the giant spoiler' date=' diffuser, and slicks.[/quote']Hard to miss, isn't it? Actually, it was on it's way to Walls Rod and Custom for dyno time. It didn't make it onto the dyno today, but thanks to a flat deck driver who wasn't careful enough, it now has a crushed radiator ;(Posted ImagePosted Image

Archived