Project E-Mod MGB-GT

The second vid wouldn't load for me' date=' but your motor sounds awesome even untuned, Mark. Could become a crowd favorite at Nationals. :D[/quote']Thanks. I found some big vacuum leaks and plugged them and it runs even better now. I think it's going to sound fantastic when it's at full throttle. According to my calculations, the MGB is going to be balanced towards understeer so I decided to install a sway bar on the rear of the car only. I found a sway bar calculator online and punched some numbers into it to figure out what I needed. Here is the calculator http://www.circletrack.com/car_racing_calculators/torsion_bar_rate_calculator/photo_01.html I used scrap aluminum blocks to make sway bar mounts, here's the drivers side:Posted ImageI built a bar based on the sway bar calculator. It is .750" OD, .500" ID and has an effective length of 28". The arms have 6 holes for adjustment from 69 lb/in to 163 lb/in and should easily adjust the car from understeer to oversteer. Here's the bar welded up:Posted ImageHere it is mounted but I still have to make the drop links that connect the bar to the suspension. Acccording to the sway bar calculator, the 6 holes will add from 69 lb/in to 163 lb/in to the suspension, and this should easily change the balance from undesteer to oversteer. Some in the Modified community say that mild steel works just fine as a sway bar as long as there isn't too much suspension travel, but I plan on taking the bar to get heat treated and turned into spring steel.Posted Image

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.technologystudent.com/equip1/heat1.htmPlease read this before you think you are going to " change steel grades".If I remember properly all ferrous steels have the same spring rates, the only difference being their limits of elasticity. A mild steel sway bar will work just fine untill it has been beyond its elastic limits. You would feel this as a driver and it would become visible as a twist in the bar as viewed across your sway bar arms with one of the links removed.

http://www.technologystudent.com/equip1/heat1.htmPlease read this before you think you are going to " change steel grades".If I remember properly all ferrous steels have the same spring rates' date=' the only difference being their limits of elasticity. A mild steel sway bar will work just fine untill it has been beyond its elastic limits. You would feel this as a driver and it would become visible as a twist in the bar as viewed across your sway bar arms with one of the links removed.[/quote']Yeh, there is chatter on the Mod discussion group about this. I won't be able to turn mild steel into spring steel but there should be enough springiness in it for my use. 4130 is supposed to work better but it's not so easy to find in the size I need. There are places that build custom bars but I'm going to wait to see how my homemade one works first.

Yeh' date=' there is chatter on the Mod discussion group about this. I won't be able to turn mild steel into spring steel but there should be enough springiness in it for my use. 4130 is supposed to work better but it's not so easy to find in the size I need. There are places that build custom bars but I'm going to wait to see how my homemade one works first.[/quote']The 4130 will not work any better it will just last longer.Talk to the sprint car guys about torsion bars if thats how you want to go but what you have will work fine.

The oil temperature, coolant temperature and fan sensor all use a 1/2" NPT size and the engine didn't have any holes that size, so I bought a tap and made my own.Posted ImageOil temperature bung welded into oil pan:Posted ImageCoolant temperature sensor by passenger side thermostat:Posted ImageFan sensor by drivers side thermostat (yes, the Jag has two thermostats):Posted ImageVideo of sensor test and sudden coolant leak|

I will bet your Dad never figured on his engine being in there:) You do know that every run you make is going to cause a big delay in the days event running. Everyone will be lined up watching and listening!! I think it is safe to say that the WSCC has adopted your car as ours. You should be proud, that is amazing work.

I will bet your Dad never figured on his engine being in there:) You do know that every run you make is going to cause a big delay in the days event running. Everyone will be lined up watching and listening!! I think it is safe to say that the WSCC has adopted your car as ours. You should be proud' date=' that is amazing work.[/quote']He would love it, I'm sure. I think the car is pretty cool and I hope it lives up to expectations in sound and performance. It should be driving within a month if the axle and release bearing arrive on schedule. Once it drives ok, I have to pull it apart for a paint job.

I welded in bungs for oxygen sensors so I could tune the 4 carbs. Passenger sidePosted ImageDrivers sidePosted ImageAnd I rebuilt the carbs and found that the floats were set wrong, the temperature compensator valves were plugged, two of the 4 bypass valves were ripped and all the bypass valves were non-functional because somebody incorrectly routed the vacuum lines. Here is one of the temperature compensator valves, that circular part is a hole that is supposed to be open but is plugged with sludge.Posted Image

Wow' date=' those carbs were dirty! Even still it was almost purring like a kitten!What sensor / board / software are you planning on using for your o2 sensor? I'm curious because I've been doing some research lately on them.[/quote']It's not my software, it's Wall's Rod and Customs O2 sensors, which I think are FJO.

The fact is, if I can take my built-from-scratch-in-six-months race car and within a year be as quick as what I would be in my Porsche engineered car that I have been driving and developing for 3 years, I am either a) a freaking automotive genius OR B) a freaking driving sensation. What is much more likely is that some yet unknown suspension anomoly will make the car completely undriveable and the engine will be about as powerful as the 6 cylinder in the Boxster. If anybody thinks it's easy to slap together a thousand unrelated car parts into one competitive race car, have at it ;)

Or c) the porsche is just a glorified beetle.All kidding aside your car is bad ass

I recognize all the individual words in that first sentence but have no idea what it means or how it relates to my MGB ;) Anyways, once Phil gets me a hydraulic release bearing and I install it, I only have to plumb the brakes and the car is driveable-can't wait!!

I have a feeling that this beast is going to be quick right out of the box. how many cars run with this much time put it on setup? I will be there to see the first run for sure. Oh and you have to name it, how bout ""Big Ben" lol

I have a feeling that this beast is going to be quick right out of the box. how many cars run with this much time put it on setup? I will be there to see the first run for sure. Oh and you have to name it' date=' how bout ""Big Ben" lol[/quote']I had some doubts about how much power it has but I just uncovered a dyno graph from the same engine and even though they revved it to only 5500 rpm, it made 250 hp and 272 ft/lb at the wheels. My exhaust and intake should flow better and I will be revving to 7000 so it should be ok. I am tossing around car names, Big Ben is pretty good but it makes me think of Gentle Ben the bear, and this car is probably not going to be gentle. ;)

Archived